677 users online (75 members and 602 guests)  

Websleuths News

Rochester, New York

Thumbs down AIDS Tainted Razor Blades Sent To Professor

Activist group claims to send AIDS-tainted razors to animal researcher
    By Michael Martinez, CNN
    November 24, 2010 -- Updated 0949 GMT (1749 HKT)

...The Animal Liberation Front posted an unsigned communique on its website from a group calling itself "The Justice Department at UCLA," claiming its members sent the razor blades to Jentsch because he uses primates for government-funded testing of drug addiction.

"He has no business addicting primates to phencyclidine known on the streets as PCP and other street drugs using grant money from the federal government," said the statement issued Tuesday by the activist group....

The Animal Liberation Front, IMO, is a group of psychos. I'm no fan of unnecessary animal testing. (i.e. cosmetic products and other non life threatening or human diseases)

However, as distasteful as I find animal testing I realize it's necessary for the advancement of human disease eradication and other important human suffering issues. What's ironic is that animal testing has led to advances in AIDS research.

I'm assuming the members of the group would refuse any treatments for major diseases that were developed by using animal testing. (i.e. If one of them contracted cancer or MS I wonder if they'd research the drugs they were prescribed to ease their suffering and/or cure them to find out if animal testing was involved. If it was I'm assuming they'd refuse that treatment)

I wish there was a better way but there isn't, to my knowledge.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Liberation_Front"]Wiki synopsis of ALF[/ame]

...Monaghan writes that, around 1982, there was a noticeable shift in the non-violent position, and not one approved by everyone in the movement. Some activists began to make personal threats against individuals, followed by letter bombs and threats to contaminate food, the latter representing yet another shift to threatening the general public, rather than specific targets.[33]

In 1982, letter bombs were sent to all four major party leaders in England, including the prime minister, Margaret Thatcher. In November 1984, the first major food scare was carried out, with the ALF claiming in phone calls and letters to the media that it had contaminated Mars Bars—part of a campaign to force the Mars company to stop conducting tooth decay tests on monkeys.[50] On November 17, the Sunday Mirror received a call from the ALF saying it had injected Mars Bars in stores throughout the country with rat poison. The call was followed by a letter containing a Mars Bar, presumed to be contaminated, and the claim that these were on sale in London, Leeds, York, Southampton, and Coventry. Millions of bars were removed from shelves and Mars halted production, at a cost to the company of $4.5 million.[51] The ALF admitted the claims had been a hoax. Similar contamination claims were later made against L'Oréal and Lucozade.[52]...

Palm Springs
    Does the HIV retrovirus actually survive that long outside a human host? I doubt it or the disease would be easier to catch.

(This is not to blame Steely Dan, of course. His headline is a fair summary of the article.)

Rochester, New York

Warning!!! Bad language in youtbue titles

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to pick up the razor blades anyway. I think this is more of a message like a dead rat in somebody's mailbox.

In the Wiki article it talks about their threats being empty but meant to cause panic.

However, there is a Penn and Teller's BS that can be found on Youtube that addresses PETA and they have given support to an ALF terrorist. You can skip to part two to get to the part of the show that's very relevant to this discussion.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Coronado"]Rodney Coronado[/ame]

Cajun Country, Louisiana
    I do not agree with using animals for testing. If I believe animals deserve more respect than we give them, how much more I believe that humans should be treated with respect.

I cannot fathom how anyone could be so callous to a fellow human, I really can't.