OR - Teen suspected of trying to set off bomb at public event

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
Teen suspected of trying to set off bomb at public event

(CNN) -- A 19-year-old has been arrested in connection with a plot to detonate a vehicle bomb at an annual Chistmas tree lighting ceremony in Portland, Oregon, on Friday evening, the Justice Department announced.
snip
Mohamud was arrested by the FBI and Portland Police Bureau after he attempted to detonate what he believed to be an explosives-laden van

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/27/oregon.bomb.plot/

Published: Friday, November 26, 2010, 10:09 PM Updated: Friday, November 26, 2010, 11:04 PM
Bryan Denson, The Oregonian

The FBI thwarted an attempted terrorist bombing in Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square before the city's annual tree-lighting Friday night, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Oregon.

A Corvallis man, thinking he was going to ignite a bomb, drove a van to the corner of the square at Southwest Yamhill Street and Sixth Avenue and attempted to detonate it.

However, the supposed explosive was a dummy that FBI operatives supplied to him, according to an affidavit in support of a criminal complaint signed Friday night by U.S. Magistrate Judge John V. Acosta.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fbi_thwarts_terrorist_bombing.html

I was just reading about this & got goosebumps.

Just no words to say except Scary Stuff!

Kinda freaking out thinking there is no safe place anywhere, anymore.

BBM is VERY unsettling..

snip

The FBI operatives cautioned Mohamud several times about the seriousness of his plan, noting that there would be many people, including children, at the event, and that Mohamud could abandon his plans at any time with no shame.

"You know there's going to be a lot of children there?" an FBI operative asked Mohamud. "You know there are gonna be a lot of children there?"

Mohamud allegedly responded he was looking for a "huge mass that will ... be attacked in their own element with their families celebrating the holidays."

Mohamud dismissed concerns about law enforcement, explaining that, " ... It's in Oregon; and Oregon, like, you know, nobody ever thinks about," according to the affidavit.

"The threat was very real," said Oregon's FBI Special Agent in Charge Arthur Balizan. "Our investigation shows that Mohamud was absolutely committed to carrying out an attack on a very grand scale. At the same time, I want to reassure the people of this community that, every turn, we denied him the ability to actually carry out the attack."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fbi_thwarts_terrorist_bombing.html

::shudders::

sooooooooooo disturbing - going for the most innocent & vulnerable

now I don't know if I'll ever get to sleep tonite.

I was watching the tweets earlier tonight because this(the tree lighting) is a big thing in Portland, I found this one...

Havrellykgw Wayne Havrelly
Crowd at pioneer courthouse square estimated to be 10,000
5 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

http://twitter.com/#!/Havrellykgw

yesterday & today I've seen tweets - talking about going to some outdoor celebration somewhere in the US.

How many more Mohammeds are there? Did the feds get 'em all?

I can't stop wondering.

This is more than unsettling. I'm unhinged. My daughter is the manager of the J Crew shop at Pioneer Place. She was planning on taking her dinner so she could see the lights. I just checked and the terrorist was arrested 400 feet from her shop. This is what we get for talking her into moving from Santa Monica to Portland last month??? She won't tell me as she won't want me to worry. She didn't tell me when she got mugged in LA, either.

The terrorist is correct. We don't think about things like this in Oregon. Thank God, everything went as planned. Thank you FBI and LE. My baby's safe.

I'm reading the arrest warrant..
I don't think I'm going to be sleeping tonight..

HUGE thank you to the FBI

This is more than unsettling. I'm unhinged. My daughter is the manager of the J Crew shop at Pioneer Place. She was planning on taking her dinner so she could see the lights. I just checked and the terrorist was arrested 400 feet from her shop. This is what we get for talking her into moving from Santa Monica to Portland last month??? She won't tell me as she won't want me to worry. She didn't tell me when she got mugged in LA, either.

The terrorist is correct. We don't think about things like this in Oregon. Thank God, everything went as planned. Thank you FBI and LE. My baby's safe.

I'm reading the arrest warrant..
I don't think I'm going to be sleeping tonight..

HUGE thank you to the FBI

I'm freaked out - all the way over here in TX....I'd be shaking if I lived where y'all live.

I was reading comments at oregonlive...one lady said her family moved to Oregon after 9/11 to be safe - now she's worried how to run w/ her kids in her arms. :(

I'm freaked out - all the way over here in TX....I'd be shaking if I lived where y'all live.

I was reading comments at oregonlive...one lady said her family moved to Oregon after 9/11 to be safe - now she's worried how to run w/ her kids in her arms. :(

I saw that one too!

At the end of the warrant, it tells everything that happened tonight, what he did, watching the tv coverage of the tree lighting event, how he used the cell phone to detonate (what he thought was) the bomb, and his arrest.

It gets a bit more into detail and even a bit graphic in the document when they question him as to if he is sure he wants to do this or not (earlier this year)..

Missizzy is right, we don't think about this kind of stuff happening in Oregon.

As the crow flies, it's only 150 feet. They talked about a bomb destroying up to two blocks. He was going to do it. In fact, they allowed him so many outs and he still carried through.

As the crow flies, it's only 150 feet. They talked about a bomb destroying up to two blocks. He was going to do it. In fact, they allowed him so many outs and he still carried through.

I read that..
It's a wake up call for us here in the PNW that's for sure..

I hope your daughter is doing ok, I'm seeing the local news anchors tweeting right now freaked out because they were there covering the tree lighting event.

I'm almost speechless. That's my child. That's my 25 year old self-assured daughter who we've cajoled to move to a safer city. She's met up with many kids she went to HS with here in Ashland (Ashland's 300 miles south BTW) as many of them went to college or work in Portland. They all shared Thanksgiving yesterday. That area--the downtown and the Pearl district--is entirely revitalized and feels "gentrified" and safe. Portland is a city where people are kind and caring. They literally laugh at the rain as they're all in it together. They just drink for coffee and good beer. The tree is always beautiful and this year was even more special as people are really striving to get in the spirit. She was just in Ashland three days ago as she flew down for her sister's 27th birthday. She was so beautiful and sassy and sweet. We're so proud of her accomplishments and of her ability to reinvent herself in a new city. I wonder how she'll feel about Oregon now? It was her home for 15 years before she headed to LA. She texted me yesterday to see if I knew about the violence in Korea. She was so upset as she was Korean born. She kept saying, "they shot civilians, Mommy."

I want to call her so badly but she has to be on the floor tomorrow morning. I honestly don't know how she'll respond. She's teensy (5'1" and 95 lbs) but very bold and powerful. I have no doubt that if she'd had to tackle the guy, she would have. She doesn't have 9 brothers for nothing.

I have to go to bed but I guess I got my Thanksgiving gift a day late. By the grace of God and the FBI.

I want to call her so badly but she has to be on the floor tomorrow morning. I honestly don't know how she'll respond. She's teensy (5'1" and 95 lbs) but very bold and powerful. I have no doubt that if she'd had to tackle the guy, she would have. She doesn't have 9 brothers for nothing.

I have to go to bed but I guess I got my Thanksgiving gift a day late. By the grace of God and the FBI.

((hugs))

I just finished reading the arrest warrant.

Mohamud sounds like a psychopath - who could get a thrill out of thinking of families blown up?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back