821 users online (112 members and 709 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Sally View Post
    More old info:

[UPDATE] 1-7 11:00AM -- by Julie Montanaro

The defense is calling experts to the stand to try to have a bayonet declared inadmissible as evidence. The state contends Hilton used the bayonet to slash a tire on victim Cheryl Dunlap's car. Dr. Adina Schwartz testified that there are no objective scientific standards that will allow forensic scientists to prove that a "particular" tool was used to leave a mark, only that "that type" of tool was used.

Stay with WCTV.tv for updates.

http://www.wctv.tv/floridanews/headl...113041224.html

I missed this earlier on the TV website.....sorry!

Mustang,
    Just wanted you to know how much we appreciate all that you are doing to bring this info to us.
    Thank you.

Today's Update...The Trial Starts Tomorrow..Hopfully there will be some justice for my friend Cheryl Hodges Dunlap...Rest In Peace...Sweet Lady!!

A judge has refused to delay Gary Hilton's trial.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATED 1.27.2011 10:05am by Julie Montanaro

Attorneys for Gary Hilton filed an emergency motion for a continuance Wednesday afternoon as jury selection fast approaches in his trial.

In the motion, defense attorney Ines Suber says, "The complexity of the case cannot be underestimated." She cites more than 1,000 pieces of evidence, 4000 photographs and a list of nearly 650 "Category A" witnesses.

Suber says the defense has deposed about 400 of those witnesses, but has yet to contact 159 of them. Suber also says prosecutors notified her of five additional witnesses on December 29th, four of whom live in Georgia.

Suber contends that one of the witnesses, who was an inmate at the Leon County Jail at the time, gave law enforcement some information about the case and received a lighter sentence in exchange.

Suber also says there are 180 witness depositions she has yet to read or discuss with Gary Hilton.

http://www.wctv.tv/floridanews/headl...114277639.html
    I do not "Obsess".....I just think "Intensely"

My question to Defense Attorney Inez Suber is.....

WHY haven't you been doing your job for the last THREE years????

Maybe it is because she has been defending too many POS's and she is spreading herself too thin!!!

Rest In Peace...Cheryl Dunlap..A True Angel of God!!

So, is Jury selection starting today as scheduled? Does anyone have any news or is there anywhere else to keep up with this trial?
    Thanks...T

FROM WCTV.

[UPDATE] 1-31 Noon --

Accused killer Gary Hilton is now on trial for the murder and kidnapping of Crawfordville Sunday School Teacher and FSU nurse Cheryl Dunlap.

Jury selection started this morning.

Cheryl Dunlap was kidnapped and killed in December, 2007, now more than three years later, Gary Hilton is on trial for it.

Hilton's attorneys have tried repeatedly to have the trial moved, but the judge is determined to try to seat a jury here. Today the first 50 of 220 potential jurors reported to courtroom 3G. Soon afterward, Hilton, along with his defense team, prosecutors and the judge gathered around a table in a nearby room and called jurors in one by one. They wanted to know what they'd seen or heard about the case and if they had any strong opinions about his guilt or innocence. There were a wide variety of answers. Some folks knew lots of information, including Hilton's ties to killings in Georgia and North Carolina, others say they didn't know the first thing about this case. The majority of those excused however said they unequivalently thought he was guilty.

At the table potential jurors are sitting just three feet away from Hilton.

For the most part, Hilton stares straight ahead and taps his feet and occasionally glances at the jurors answering questions.

The judge hopes to have a jury seated by Wednesday so they can begin testimony on Friday. Of the first 20 potential jurors questioned, 9 were excused and 11 were told to come back Wednesday for further questioning.

Late afternoon update:

Gary Michael Hilton's trial stirs up memories and a lot emotions for folks in Crawfordville where Cheryl Dunlap lived and died.

The first thing that comes to mind for many when they think about Hilton facing a jury is -- it's about time.
    Click here to find out more!

One woman said, "They shouldn't have waited that long."

People in Crawfordville say it's a long time coming for Gary Michael Hilton to stand trial for the murder and kidnapping of fellow resident Cheryl Dunlap.

Pat Underwood said, "I think it's been very difficult for people who knew her really well and her family and extended family. Every time I go pass that place on the road to Tallahassee, I think about it."

That place on the road Underwood is referring to is Highway 319 near the
    Wakulla/Leon County line where Dunlap's Toyota Camry was found on December 3, 2007.

Dunlap hadn't been seen since December first, and hunters later discovered her body in the Apalachicola National Forest on December 15th.

More than three years later, jurors are finally being picked to hear the case.

Many in Dunlap's hometown say they already have an ideal outcome in mind.

Jean Rueth said, "Go ahead and give him the death penalty and be done with it. They had all the evidence they needed. He should just go ahead and fry for it."

Dunlap was a Sunday School teacher in Crawfordville and a nurse at FSU.

Jeremy Brown said, "It rips my heart out when I find out someone can do something so savage to someone so strong and pure. There's no point in that."

"They need to see a resolution quickly. If he's guilty, then the town will rest and be at peace."

Many in Crawfordville say although it's taken what they consider too long for Hilton to go on trial, they say they hope a guilty verdict will bring them some closure.

http://www.wctv.tv/floridanews/headl...114975829.html

Morning updates: Hoping you can see the picture..He looks so different in a suit and tie...and even has on Glasses!! Looks almost normal...LOL

UPDATE] 2-1 9:45am

One of the prospective jurors says he actually saw Gary Hilton in a camp store when he and his wife were hiking in the Georgia mountains back in 2007. He says the Meredith Emerson disappearance and murder unfolded the week he was there. He was excused from the jury pool.

[UPDATE] 2-1 9:30am

Judge James Hankinson says he will excuse any juror who is aware of Gary Hilton's conviction in the murder of Georgia hiker Meredith Emerson. Hankinson says if they are aware of the case, but don't know that Hilton was actually convicted, that will not automatically rule them out.

[UPDATE] 2-1 8:45am

Jury selection continued Tuesday, Feb. 2 in the kidnapping and murder trial of Gary Hilton. Jurors continue to be called into a room adjacent to courtroom 3G to be questioned one by one.

At this stage potential jurors are being questioned about any news reports they may have seen or read about this case.

We have a reporter in court. Stay with WCTV.tv for updates.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Ju...114908669.html

I will check back tonight to see the evening news update. I may attend some of the trial when it gets going. Since I know the children quite well...I am still considering that fact in relation to my actions. I do have a friend who has been following the case. She actually printed out the redacted materials that were released to the public some time back. She is planning to attend. Our local media has told her that there will TV coverage but it will be pay per view on Comcast. I can't afford to do this! When I get more info on this I will let you guys know.

Rest in Peace...Cheryl Dunlap and Meredith Emerson

No big update tonight...I do have some info on Tallahassee Democrat Online..I captured this from a friend that is posting on there. I only receive the Sunday edition and it will not let me back online..UGH!

The reporter's name is Jennifer Portman and I am posting her Twitter Address. My friend said that she Tweeted during the jury selection. I am totally out of the loop on Tweeting. Maybe it is time to learn. I will call one of my "I.T." children and see if they can give me a lesson! LOL

http://twitter.com/JMPortman

If anyone one here uses Tweeter....Please send me instructions. I am wondering if you have to Tweet on your cell phone or if you can use a laptop???

Talk to you guys later...Sally

DEAR GOD..PLEASE BLESS THE FAMILIES OF CHERYL DUNLAP & MEREDITH EMERSON

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Sally View Post
    No big update tonight...I do have some info on Tallahassee Democrat Online..I captured this from a friend that is posting on there. I only receive the Sunday edition and it will not let me back online..UGH!

The reporter's name is Jennifer Portman and I am posting her Twitter Address. My friend said that she Tweeted during the jury selection. I am totally out of the loop on Tweeting. Maybe it is time to learn. I will call one of my "I.T." children and see if they can give me a lesson! LOL

http://twitter.com/JMPortman

If anyone one here uses Tweeter....Please send me instructions. I am wondering if you have to Tweet on your cell phone or if you can use a laptop???

Talk to you guys later...Sally

DEAR GOD..PLEASE BLESS THE FAMILIES OF CHERYL DUNLAP & MEREDITH EMERSON

I believe you can do both. You have to set up a twitter account. I don't tweet. But I follow journalist that tweet about cases.

Today's morning updates:

PDATE] 2-2 11:50AM

Defense attorney Ines Suber told jurors not to be swayed by the gruesome photographs of Cheryl Dunlap's body.

Co-counsel Robert Friedman will question jurors extensively about their feelings on capital punishment after lunch.

[UPDATE] 2-2 11:30AM

Defense attorney Ines Suber is now addressing jurors.

"I have tried to speak without an accent," she said, "but it is impossible."

Suber told jurors that she is from Colombia, came to this country in 1968, and is a US citizen. She asked them to raise their hands at any time if they have any trouble understanding her.

Victim Cheryl Dunlap worked at FSU as a nurse. Suber asked if any of the potential jurors who attended FSU or worked there would be swayed by that. All said no.

Suber also asked whether any of the jurors camped or hiked in the Apalachicola National Forest. At least three said they took day hikes there and several others said they camped in other places. Suber asked repeatedly whether they took rubber bands to secure their pant legs, but all of the jurors said no.

[UPDATE] 2-2 11AM --

A handful of potential jurors said they could not impose the death penalty.

State Attorney Willie Meggs asked the rest if they could find Gary Hilton guilty knowing the death penalty is a possibility. All of the jurors said the could.

Meggs told the jurors that they are not sitting in judgment of Gary Hilton, but are sitting in judgment of the evidence and the facts.

One juror said she's not sure she could live with deciding whether someone should live or die.

Meggs also asked jurors to hold prosecutors to a reasonable standard in their presentation of evidence. "This is not CSI, we're not going to get this done in an hour. We're not going to pull fingerprints out of the air ... or trace fibers to a single manufacturer in Duluth, Minnesota."

[UPDATE] 2-2 10AM --

Prosecutors read a list of 65 potential witnesses.

Nearly 40 of them are law enforcement officers. They are from Leon and Wakulla counties as well as from sheriff's offices and police departments in Georgia and South Carolina.

Both of Cheryl Dunlap's sons and her daughter-in-law are on the witness list.

Also expected to testify is Dr. Anthony Falsetti, a forensic anthropologist at the University of Florida. He specializes in identifying human remains and has helped to do that in the wake of the September 11th terror attacks as well as the tsunami in Southeast Asia.

The defense read a list of 65 possible witnesses. That includes more than half a dozen doctors and a tool mark expert.

Dr. Jason Byrd, a forensic entomologist from the University of Florida, is on the defense's witness list. He helped to identify bodies in the wake of last year's earthquake in Haiti.

Jurors are now being questioned about their opinions on the death penalty.

http://www.wctv.tv/floridanews/headl...114908669.html

Well I guess the SA "Good Ole Boy" Willie Meggs must have a pretty secure case against Hilton, otherwise he would not be calling on the services of Dr. Jason Byrd!

This guy sounds like a big hitter.

I can only hope they will give him the Death Penalty! For Cheryl's sake...I am going for "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth." He killed her & Meredith Emerson...therefore the State of Florida Should Kill Him.

But the sad thing is that he will most likly stay in Florida and head down the Street Of Appeals. So sad!

DEAR GOD...PLEASE BLESS THE FAMILY OF CHERYL DUNLAP
    Last edited by Mustang Sally; 02-02-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: spelling..ugh

Suber asked repeatedly whether they took rubber bands to secure their pant legs, but all of the jurors said no.

it must have to do with some evidence the prosecution has, either rubber bands found at the scene, or witnesses.

gary hilton has told people for years that he was a paratrooper on perpetual maneuvers, and paratroopers blouse their pants legs using rubber bands.

i can't wait to see the evidence.

law enforcement from georgia and south carolina are to be called as witnesses for the prosecution? that's very unusual but fits the list of exclusions requested by defense.

A jury has been seated. Opening statements begin Friday at 8:30.

The case will be streaming live on wctv.tv
    (according to MustangSally, this may be pay per view through Comcast in Tallahassee....will get details & advise further ASAP)

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Jury_Selection_in_Gary_Michael_Hilton_Case_Begins_ Monday_114908669.html
    Last edited by noZme; 02-03-2011 at 01:32 AM. Reason: about PPV

It was a very long and tiring day yesterday for the jurors and potential Jurors..People are being called from VERY far away to the witness stand.
    This judge doesn't play..
    Last edited by Mousey; 02-03-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: forgot to add

Last Night's Update:

UPDATE 2-2-2011 8:45pm

Jury selection is now over as six men and six women have been chosen to be the jury. Two alternates have also been selected.
    Opening statements for the trial will begin Friday morning at 8:30 am.

-----------------------------

UPDATED 2.2.2011 7pm by Julie Montanaro

Jury selection is now in its third day in the kidnapping and murder trial of Gary Hilton.

Attorneys are still trying to seat a jury in courtroom 3G. We'll keep you posted on their progress.

Gary Hilton is accused of killing FSU nurse and Crawfordville Sunday School teacher Cheryl Dunlap and as many as 131 witnesses could take the stand when testimony begins.

"I guess if you watch CSI, we're not going to wrap this up in an hour," State Attorney Willie Meggs said with a grin.

Jurors chosen to weigh the evidence against Gary Michael Hilton can expect to spend three weeks in this jury box.

Prosecutors listed 66 potential witnesses, including victim Cheryl Dunlap's two sons, nearly 40 law enforcement officers from three states, and a forensic anthropologist who has identified human remains in the wake of terror attacks and tsunamis.

"So there will be a lot of pictures," defense attorney Ines Suber said.

Defense attorneys wanted to be sure prospective jurors were ready for what could be disturbing photos and wanted some assurance that emotion wouldn't get the best of them.

"Do any of you would have a problem viewing that type of photograph?" Suber asked.

Hilton's attorneys have a list with 65 witnesses of their own. More than half a dozen doctors, a tool mark expert and more from as far away as California and even Buenos Aires.

The bulk of the defense team's questions surrounded capital punishment. Hilton could face the death penalty if convicted and more than a handful of potential jurors admitted from the start, that's something they could never do.

For those of you who are interested in watching live streaming video of this trial, we'll have it on our web site wctv.tv as soon as the first gavel falls.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [UPDATE] 2-2 11:50AM by Julie Montanaro

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Ju...114908669.html

does anyone have a subscription to tallahassee.com? is their coverage more in depth than wctv.tv? i'm asking because if it is and no-one has access, i'll have to subscribe.

i want to know what is happening with this trial not only for the victim cheryl dunlap, but also to compare the evidence to other crimes this perp may have committed.

sally, glen, or anyone local that could help me out here?

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast