Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VA - Grandmother arrested after throwing toddler off 4th floor walkway

In addition to Ogdoc's testimony, the first Fairfax police officer on the scene added a new detail to the case. Officer Anthony Stancampiano said he was dispatched to the mall at 7:20 p.m. on Nov. 29, found paramedics treating the toddler, then looked up and saw Dela Rosa still on the fifth-floor walkway, speaking with mall security.

"I walked up to her and asked if she was the one involved in this," Stancampiano said. "She said, 'Yes, I did it. I threw the baby off.' "

Dela Rosa watched the hearing impassively, occasionally making comments to her lawyer, Fairfax Chief Deputy Public Defender Dawn M. Butorac. Family members declined to comment after the hearing, and Ogdoc could be seen in a witness room after the hearing, sobbing and being comforted by her husband, James, who was working at Tysons that night.

"She's devastated," Morrogh said of Ogdoc after the hearing. "She's a wonderful young woman and I think everyone's heart is broken for her."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2010113006891

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JoeFromLB For This Useful Post:

Grandmother's case sent to grand jury in toddler's death

The case of a grandmother accused of throwing her 2-year-old granddaughter to her death at the Tysons Corner Center has been sent to a grand jury, the Associated Press reports..

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/topics...#ixzz1HYEnr0Pt

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/topics...#ixzz1HYEgFEZ3

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KeRoLe For This Useful Post:

Grandmother denied Bond!! 04/08/2011

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s=rss_homepage

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MorenoI For This Useful Post:

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Start of Trial for Grandmother Accused in Toddler Killing

The Fairfax woman charged with throwing her 2-year-old granddaughter 50-feet to the child's death faces trial today.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...130552328.html
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

On Monday during opening arguments, prosecutors said that Dela Rosa intentionally killed the child out of anger towards James Ogdoc, her son-in-law. According to prosecutors, Dela Rosa did not forgive Ogdoc for getting her daughter pregnant out of wedlock.

Dela Rosa's attorneys said she was insane at the time of the incident.

James Ogdoc took the stand and recounted seeing his child in the hospital receiving treatment.

"They couldn't resuscitate her," Ogdoc said. "They eventually gave up because the brain damage was too much."

The judge called for a recess after Ogdoc broke down on the stand and could not continue testifying.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...130644363.html

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LCoastMom For This Useful Post:

Dela Rosa statement played for jury in toddler death case <<snipped>>

Prosecutors contend that Dela Rosa was a “spiteful” woman who intended to kill her granddaughter, Angelyn Ogdoc. Her attorney argued that Dela Rosa, who pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity, is deeply troubled woman and suffers from depression.

Dela Rosa told detectives in the interview that she didn’t like James Ogdoc when he began dating her daughter, Kathlyn, while both were in high school. The feelings, which she described as jealousy, grew deeper when Kathlyn Ogdoc became pregnant during her sophomore year in college.

James and Kathlyn Ogdoc later married. Dela Rosa said she thought James Ogdoc robbed her daughter of the opportunity to meet other men and spend time with the family.

It was a phone call between James and Kathlyn Ogdoc that set her off at the mall, Dela Rosa said.

Dela Rosa told the detectives that she suffered from depression and hadn’t taken her medication for several days before the incident. She said she was stressed about being unemployed and in debt. And she said she felt as if her family had a secret language to exclude her.

Dela Rosa told detectives that she wasn’t allowed to be alone with Angelyn. As they neared the mall walkway, she said, she saw an opportunity to get rid of the toddler “permanently” and hurt James in doing so.

At that moment, Dela Rosa said, she thought that if Angelyn “had been gone, I would feel good that James doesn’t have her anymore.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...H3K_story.html

Spiteful, nasty woman. I hope the jury sees her for what she really is.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LCoastMom For This Useful Post:

Doctors: Carmela Dela Rosa suffered from major depression

Dr. Cynthia L. Gauss, a psychiatrist at INOVA Fairfax Hospital, examined Dela Rosa after the suicide attempt and testified the grandmother was suffering from a “major depression with no psychosis.”

“She was feeling hopeless and overwhelmed,” Gauss said. “She was distressed and burned out from trying to find a job.”

Dela Rosa had lost a series of part-time jobs shortly before Angelyn’s death. The Dela Rosa family was also under serious financial strain.

Gauss said Dela Rosa needed intensive treatment and that her judgement was clouded by depression. Other doctors testified they had prescribed Prozac for Dela Rosa, who was on and off the depression medication for years.

During cross-examination from Commonwealth’s Attorney Ray Morrogh, Gauss testified Dela Rosa was alert, pleasant and cooperative when she examined her a few days after the suicide attempt. Dela Rosa also did not have homicidal or suicidal thoughts at the time, the doctor said.

In Virginia, the defense has a high bar to meet to prove an insanity plea. Attorneys must show a mental health problem kept the defendant from understanding the nature, character and consequences of a crime or that the defendant was unable to distinguish right from wrong.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...Tt7K_blog.html

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LCoastMom For This Useful Post:

Dela Rosa Portrayed As Conflicted, Complicated Woman

Carmela dela Rosa's mug shot was taken a few hours after she picked up her 2-year-old granddaughter, Angelyn Ogdoc, last Nov. 29 and dropped the toddler over a 44-foot pedestrian foot bridge at Tysons Corner Center.

http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/article...plicated-woman

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KeRoLe For This Useful Post:

Anyone have any new information on this case??????? This case hurts my heart and makes me so angry.

All posts are IMHO JMHO and all that unless a link is provided Boston Strong

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kimpage For This Useful Post:

The jury is deliberating...

<<snipped>>

Fairfax County jurors who began deliberating Wednesday in the murder trial of a woman who tossed her 2-year-old granddaughter off a mall walkway are faced with a single question: Was she sane at the time?

The jury will decide whether Dela Rosa is guilty of first- or second-degree murder or not guilty by reason of insanity. If convicted, she could face a sentence of up to life in prison.

Key testimony came in the final days, when the prosecution and defense each called psychologists who presented different conclusions about Dela Rosa’s mental state.

Stanton Samenow, a clinical psychologist who testified for the prosecution, said Dela Rosa was “devastated” when Kathlyn got pregnant at 19 before she was married, and Dela Rosa never got over that fact. The night she learned her daughter was going to have a baby, she locked herself in her room and said the rosary. She focused her rage on James Ogdoc.

“There is a lot of hate in this woman,” Samenow said.

When asked whether Dela Rosa was suffering from psychosis, Samenow was succinct: “Absolutely not,” he said.

Instead, Samenow testified that Dela Rosa has a borderline personality disorder. Dela Rosa was “angry, uncompromising, unforgiving and difficult” and had alienated members of her family, Samenow testified.

Earlier in the trial, the defense called Dela Rosa’s friends and relatives, who testified that the grandmother had been trying to organize a family reunion and called Angelyn by the nickname “Lovey.”

The testimony was a jarring contrast with a videotaped interview between Dela Rosa and Fairfax County detectives played in court. The grandmother admitted to killing Angelyn.

“I just saw James through her, through the baby,” Dela Rosa said in the interview. “I thought about James and I threw her.”

In his closing argument, Morrogh said Dela Rosa hatched the plot to kill Angelyn minutes before leaving the mall.

He said images from a surveillance camera show that Dela Rosa let her family pass, then darted to the railing with Angelyn.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...rOL_story.html

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LCoastMom For This Useful Post:

Rest In Peace - Angelyn D Ogdoc
    Birth: Jun. 21, 2008
    Death: Nov. 30, 2010
    Virginia, USA

Angelyn is survived by her parents Kathlyn and James Ogdoc.
    A parole review date is set for July 21, 2012 for Fred Howard Coffey.

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

Please write a letter on behalf of Amanda.

Suspect in the murders of:
    5 yr old Neely Smith, NC
    14 yr old Kathy Lynn Beatty, MD
    8 yr old Travis Shane King, VA

Possibly connected to the disappearances of:
    14 Yr old Tracy Anne King, PA
    11 yr old Sheila and 13 yr old Katherine Lyons, MD
    15 yr old Carolyn Majane, NJ

Write to:
    Chairman Charles L. Mann Sr.
    NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540
    RE: Fred Howard Coffey, DOC# 0081135
    or send an email to parole@doc.state.nc.us
    http://justice4amanda.tripod.com/

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

After just over 7 hours of deliberations the jury found Carmela dela Rosa guilty of first degree murder.

http://wusa9.com/news/article/169151...lty-Of-Murder-

Soar with the angels Angelyn.

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CarolinaWoman For This Useful Post:

Justice won't bring her back. Justice is for us.

Angel for Angelyn!

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

I know justice won't bring her back....But it feels so good to know this grandmother can never hurt another innocent baby.......

All posts are IMHO JMHO and all that unless a link is provided Boston Strong

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kimpage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kimpage View Post
    I know justice won't bring her back....But it feels so good to know this grandmother can never hurt another innocent baby.......
    It sure does! Justice protects the others and that's important too. I feel so sorry for these parents. This was the grandmother! So hard to imagine that. I could never harm one of my grandchildren even if I hated their mother or father. Such hatred is unimaginable! Pure Evil!

So opposite from a child, innocent, loving, trusting, and never seeing wrong in anyone.

Thank God this beautiful Little Angel will never see or feel that kind of hatred again.

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

I'm glad the jury did its job, unlike another jury of recent memory.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JoeFromLB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFromLB View Post
    I'm glad the jury did its job, unlike another jury of recent memory.
    So true on both counts!

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:

No it will not bring the baby back but justice was served by two juries yesterday ... Carmela dela Rosa was convicted of first degree murder of a child and Kimberly Fry was convicted of second degree murder of a child. It certainly restored my faith in our justice system since the debacle in Florida. Our American Justice system cannot allow people to murder, abuse, mutilate or harm defenseless little children.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CarolinaWoman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
    No it will not bring the baby back but justice was served by two juries yesterday ... Carmela dela Rosa was convicted of first degree murder of a child and Kimberly Fry was convicted of second degree murder of a child. It certainly restored my faith in our justice system since the debacle in Florida. Our American Justice system cannot allow people to murder, abuse, mutilate or harm defenseless little children.
    Very well stated and totally true. I'm so sick of children being abused and murdered and the sentence is less than they would get for doing the same thing to an adult. It happens everyday!

It should be stiffer punishment for hurting a child or elderly person. They are defenseless. Murdering a child should be the same punishment as murdering an adult.

I get so angry about it. Justice won't bring her back but it should administer strong punishment for the convicted!

moo

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540