1344 users online (356 members and 988 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Walmart - Woman Accused Of Pushing 100-Year-Old Walmart Greeter

http://www.wisn.com/r/25948518/detail.html

this poor woman was just doing her job checking customers' receipts when someone decided she was taking too long!

(snipped from article)
    "She just was mad; she hurt me," Speelman told 12 News reporter Colleen Henry.
    Police said Speelman tried to detain the suspect herself. Officers arrested the woman later at her home.

(end snip)

just goes to show how rude, disrespectful and downright cruel some people can be! i hope the woman who did this faces charges. this should be absolutely inexcusable.

Ms Speelman appears to be doing well and is returning to work soon! (she looks fabulous for 100 years old, doesn't she?)

Not only does Ms Speelman look great, she tried to detain the suspect herself! They need to publish the perps name, and picture, and publicly shame her.

Aww... isn't she the cutest? And still a productive member of society at 100 years old.

I can't understand what kind of issues a person has that would make them do such a thing.

If I would have been there, I might have come unglued! What type of creature pushes a little old lady, because they are in a hurry.

Anyway, that Ms. Speelman rocks! If I live to be 100, I hope I hold up as well as she has. Not only is she doing good health-wise, she has a job.
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

Hopefullly there were lots of witnesses and they will come forward. Hopefully, the perp's friends and coworkers will have a go at her too!
    Just My Opinion

It just shows us what kind of people we have in the world when shopping comes before PEOPLE and rushing out of the store. We need to always respect our elders.

Thank God little ole' me was not there and witnessed this. I will tell you- someone would have got an azz kicking. I can't stand this type of rudeness toward the elderly at all. All she was doing was her job. People have no manners these days. Very teed off now. What a brave lady to try and detain the suspect herself. Now, that takes guts. I hope I'm as spunky as her when I am her age. I'm proud to read about her.

I'm also glad she was not too injured.

Hero for the day

Goz

No charges in fall of 100-year-old Walmart greeter

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/111609169.html

Metcalf, in an interview at her lawyer's office, said she did have a problem when the greeter, Lois Speelman, kept complaining about "you people," before saying something to the effect of, "You people think you can do whatever you want. Not today."

That's when Metcalf, who is black, tried to take her receipt back from Speelman, who is white. The two made what prosecutors described Thursday as "incidental contact" with each other, causing Speelman to fall backward to the ground.
    A police report released Thursday shows Speelman made similarly racially charged comments to prosecutors while discussing the case last week.

Speelman told prosecutors that "these types of people" often become upset when she checks their receipts, the report says.
    When she was asked to clarify what she meant by "these types of people," Speelman said, "Mexicans, Spanish and colored people," according to the report.
    Speelman also said "these types of people" are "difficult to deal with," the report says.

The police report also says Speelman violated Walmart policy by grabbing Metcalf's arm to get her attention and leaving the store to check the receipt while she and Metcalf were on the sidewalk outside the building.
    It appears that there is maybe a bit more to this story than many people (myself included) first thought.

More info at the following link, which is the DA's office's explanation of why no charges were filed.
    http://media.journalinteractive.com/...t+Greeter+.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by RLynne View Post
    http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/111609169.html

It appears that there is maybe a bit more to this story than many people (myself included) first thought.

More info at the following link, which is the DA's office's explanation of why no charges were filed.
    http://media.journalinteractive.com/...t+Greeter+.pdf
    Wow, I am completely surprised, and pretty mad! I was ready to come to the greeter's defense, and she was actually the bully here.

Speelman told prosecutors that "these types of people" often become upset when she checks their receipts, the report says.
    When she was asked to clarify what she meant by "these types of people," Speelman said, "Mexicans, Spanish and colored people," according to the report.
    Speelman also said "these types of people" are "difficult to deal with," the report says.
    unbelievable. i dont think she should have been pushed, but those are just horrible and hurtful things to say. i understand why the prosecutors have decided not to go ahead with the charges.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_the_puppy View Post
    unbelievable. i dont think she should have been pushed, but those are just horrible and hurtful things to say. i understand why the prosecutors have decided not to go ahead with the charges.
    Hey there blue, I just wanted to say, the video shows she wasn't pushed. The surveillance video contradicts what Ms. Speelman says happened. She was accidentally bumped into. It was unintentional, so they did not pursue charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post
    Hey there blue, I just wanted to say, the video shows she wasn't pushed. The surveillance video contradicts what Ms. Speelman says happened. She was accidentally bumped into. It was unintentional, so they did not pursue charges.
    thanks for clarifying that tuffy i wasn't able to get the video to play yesterday but i will try again now.

What they aren't saying in the article is what prompted the walmart greeter to go after the woman. I think the alarm went off, and unfortunately, it's the greeter's duty to make sure everything was paid for. And if you look in the security video footage, Metcalf bought a lot of stuff, so it's not surprising some of it didn't get properly demagnetized by the cashier.

I think the store should get a large part of the blame for this. They put a 100 year old woman in what is essentially a security position. Metcalf did behave badly in the way she took off after knocking the woman down in an attempt to get her receipt.

We also have to consider the walmart greeter's age. I have a grandmother who refers to blacks as 'colored'. It doesn't mean she's racist and would sell someone out because of the color of their skin. They grew up in different times, and the language is different, or their tact is different from someone who is younger and more aware of the social taboos in today's society..

The store management should be ashamed of themselves for putting an elderly woman in such a dangerous position.