816 users online (152 members and 664 guests)  

Websleuths News

TX - Abandoned newborn found on doorstep, Dickinson, 30-Nov-2010

DICKINSON, TX (KTRK) -- The search is on for the person who dropped off a newborn baby on the doorstep of a home in Dickinson.

The baby boy was found Tuesday morning in front of a home in the 2900 block of Ohio Avenue.

The newborn remains in critical condition at Clear Lake Hospital in Webster. Galveston County authorities say he suffered prolonged exposure to the cold on Tuesday morning and while they expect him to survive, it's the health of his mother that concerns them most.
    The infant is a white male and has blonde hair and blue eyes. The mother could face a felony charge of child abandonment.

A mother who wants to give up her baby is protected under the Baby Moses Law so long as she drops the infant off at a hospital, fire station or EMS station -- somewhere where the child would be cared for.

Texas was the first state to enact a Baby Moses law. The law was put in place after Houston had 13 abandoned baby cases.

There is a hotline for people with questions about the law, or cases. The number is 877-904-SAVE.

more here

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=7816579

============================================

New details released on abandoned baby

Detectives have released photographs and information about the blankets and bag found with "Nicholas":

• A small white "Home Classics" polyester blanket with designs of Christmas trees, gingerbread men, candy canes, cupcakes, cookies, and candies, sold exclusively at Kohl's Department Stores
    • A fleece blanket with a large design of a TV/VCR remote control, known to be sold at JoAnn's Fabrics and other retail stores
    • A blue and black Plano brand "Tackle Logic" nylon fishing tackle bag, in very good condition, and sold through Academy Sporting Goods stores between 1998 and 2002.

The exceptional condition of the Plano bag was notable, say investigators, given that item has not been not been manufactured since 2002.

more here

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=7819114

====================================

pictures of blankets and bag

DICKINSON — A baby wrapped in blankets, placed in a bag and abandoned on a front porch in 50-degree weather remained hospitalized today in critical condition, but he was expected to slowly improve.

Authorities named the child “Baby Nicholas,” because of the coming Christmas holiday, and released photographs of the blankets and bag, hoping the evidence leads to the identity of the newborn and mother.

A man found the shivering boy, who was naked and wrapped in two blankets and placed in a soft-sided fishing tackle bag.

more info here

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/195066
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

Poor little tyke! I hope he just gets better and better and that his parents/mom are found soon.

Salem

Critical condition, but thank god they expect him to recover. Poor little guy left out in 50 degree weather. Seems he was found just in time.
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

Doesn't it just make you want to go get him and bring him home. I so hope he finds a good forever family and does not end up in foster homes all his life. I'm praying he has grandparents or aunts and uncles that will take him, if they can identify him. Poor sweet baby

Salem

Can I have him? Please?

I understand that people who do this are probably frantic, they don't know what to do, but a doorstep in 50 degree weather? C'mon people. Use what good sense God gave you and take the baby to a hospital/fire department.

I think the states that have the "Baby Moses" laws or the Safe Haven laws need to put up signs EVERYWHERE! Can you imagine being a 13 yr old female who has hid your pregnancy from everyone and you don't know what to do? (not that this is the case, just an example) Schools need to teach/preach that in their health classes when they do Sex Ed. We know kids (half of them at least) listen but don't follow. So we, as parents, educators, the public, need to get it out there. If you DO, you can do THIS without fear of repercussions.

JMO!

I think people are paranoid, even though there may actually be no repercussions. They feel that there are numerous cameras at a fire station or hospital that will incriminate them. And that is JMO based on what is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by concentric View Post
    I think people are paranoid, even though there may actually be no repercussions. They feel that there are numerous cameras at a fire station or hospital that will incriminate them. And that is JMO based on what is happening.
    That's true, concentric. Plus I remember one case where a woman left her newborn at a fire station, a designated "drop off" site, and LE wanted to prosecute her because she left the baby in the wrong spot at the fire station......

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux View Post
    That's true, concentric. Plus I remember one case where a woman left her newborn at a fire station, a designated "drop off" site, and LE wanted to prosecute her because she left the baby in the wrong spot at the fire station......

I know there are rules, but something like that will discourage others from leaving unwanted babies. I wish I could leave my address..... I dont care what door they leave them on, just ring the doorbell and run. I wont chase after you, I will keep any baby safe and warm! Its so sad, I believe any case, a mother that leaves a baby in a noticeable spot, is a GOOD MOTHER! She could have put the baby in a landfill, like so many others. I hope that baby recovers and Mom gets any medical attention she may need.

West Palm Beach (Palm Beach County) Florida
    Ohh I will take him! Not to make fun of the situation or anything.

But I agree with alot of the above comments. Many people would be willing to give these children forever homes. I hope that the baby finds his soon

This sounds like someone who was trying to do the right thing. He was wrapped in two blankets and placed in a canvas bag - she or he didn't drop him nude into a toilet or wrap him in a plastic bag before putting him in a trash bin. The Christmas blanket is so cute - it appears to me this maybe a young girl from the neighborhood, possibly someone without transportation - who was probably terrified over being discovered. Heartbreaking.

Get well and grow up big and strong Nicholas.

Why is the search on? Obviously the parents didn't want to or couldn't care for the child, so they left the baby in a safe place. Now LE will go out and find them, arrest them, and the baby will go into foster care anyway.

THIS IS WHY PARENTS MURDER THEIR CHILDREN! They see no other option and think they can get away with it.

Why can't LE leave it alone and be darn blessed this child isn't in a dumpster and eventually ending up as a cold case.

Nicholas sure is a lucky baby - this could have been far worse.

MOO

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by mgardner View Post
    Why is the search on? Obviously the parents didn't want to or couldn't care for the child, so they left the baby in a safe place. Now LE will go out and find them, arrest them, and the baby will go into foster care anyway.

THIS IS WHY PARENTS MURDER THEIR CHILDREN! They see no other option and think they can get away with it.

Why can't LE leave it alone and be darn blessed this child isn't in a dumpster and eventually ending up as a cold case.

Nicholas sure is a lucky baby - this could have been far worse.

MOO

Mel
    ITA!!!!! The only reason I would want to find the Mom, is to make sure medically she is ok. And if they can do that, to not let the media know, the whole world does not need to know her name.

Smile Baby Nicholas is doing much better!

DICKINSON — The newborn baby abandoned on a cold doorstep made a remarkable recovery Friday and is listed in fair condition, a state Child Protective Services official said.

The boy’s condition was upgraded to fair after having been listed as critical since he was found.

“He is not on formula yet, but hopefully within the next 24 hours he will be,” Carter said. “He is off oxygen.”

A judge Wednesday granted the state emergency custody.

The baby should be released from the hospital after one or two weeks, when he is drinking formula. If no relative claims him, then he’ll be placed in a foster home.

more here

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/195638
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

http://www.click2houston.com/news/26089978/detail.html Baby Nicholas was doing well. This link has a few pictures of him, so cute.

http://www.hcnonline.com/bay_area/ne...69157dde7.html This link from Dec. 23rd says Baby Nicholas made a full recovery and is doing well with his foster family, but no tips about his birth mom at all.

The birth parents obviously didn't care about their baby one bit. I don't understand why LE still wants to find the mom so much? I'm sure lots of families would want to adopt the little sweetie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dear Prudence View Post
    http://www.click2houston.com/news/26089978/detail.html Baby Nicholas was doing well. This link has a few pictures of him, so cute.

http://www.hcnonline.com/bay_area/ne...69157dde7.html This link from Dec. 23rd says Baby Nicholas made a full recovery and is doing well with his foster family, but no tips about his birth mom at all.

The birth parents obviously didn't care about their baby one bit. I don't understand why LE still wants to find the mom so much? I'm sure lots of families would want to adopt the little sweetie.
    Nope, the birth parents obviously didn't care. That's why the mother dumped him in an airport trash can or left him in a dumpster. Oh, wait...

The way I see it, if they didn't care at all, it would have been the basement of an abandoned house, not the porch of an inhabited house. MOO
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.