635 users online (76 members and 559 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs down So you can set your water on fire, what's the big fracking deal?

Link

..."Tightly-regulated, environmentally sound natural gas development in New York can and will deliver a much-needed and long-lasting economic shot in the arm to not only communities along the Southern Tier, but for the entire state, just as it is in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and elsewhere," said a written statement from Klaber, president of the Marcellus Shale Coalition.

Using hydraulic fracturing, drillers pump large amounts of water mixed with sand and chemicals into the shale formation thousands of feet underground under high pressure. Fracturing the shale around the gas well then allows the natural gas to flow freely.

The process has raised concerns about whether those chemicals are contaminating the underground water. Some residents near hydraulic fracturing drill sites along the Delaware River Basin -- located in Delaware, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania -- have been able to set their water on fire....

[ame]http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/09/13/griffin.gas.danger.cnn[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U01EK76Sy4A[/ame]

I think that would upset me a lot.

It seems that the process is losing a lot of the natural gas in the water and therefore are losing a lot of money in the water, JMO.

You'd think it might behoove the gas companies to devise a way to filter the water.
    Last edited by Steely Dan; 12-03-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Ironically on CSI there was a recent episode involving fracking. It's a serious issue in NY
    Just My Opinion

That is very disturbing! Not only the waste of natural gas and monetary concerns, but do you that live in NY drink that stuff!!!!!

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

I first learned about this watching the documentary "Gasland" have any of you seen it? Scary, scary stuff......

Fortunately, I live close enough to the city to get city water and our city uses three filters. I think these are people who subsist on well water.

Very, very, extremely scary.

Thank you so much for sharing this because honestly, it is unbelievable.

Wow. That's all I can really say.
    “The truth is rarely pure and never simple.”~Oscar Wilde

Link

Big frack attack: Is hydraulic fracturing safe?

Natural gas is cleaner than coal and oil, helping make it the hottest fossil fuel in America lately. But a controversial drilling technique known as 'fracking' has some wondering if a U.S. natural gas boom is worth the risks....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110412/...ing_torn_towns

Gas drilling's promise, perils rile townsfolk

"People that don't own the land are saying, 'Let's slow down and learn from the mistakes of other places,'" said Matthew Ryan, mayor of Binghamton, N.Y., in shale country about 70 miles northwest of Damascus. "Those that own land are anxious to 'drill, baby, drill.'"
    My posts and their content are MY OPINION unless I have provided a link
    and are not to be copied and pasted to other sites or pages without my permission.

Thanks, that's a good article. I'm glad I live in NYS which is taking a let's wait and see approach so far. It seems in this country that we have to have it right away. Whenever you buy a Windows edition for your computer they keep adding service packs for years. That's not so bad unless you have your identity stolen because Microsoft didn't notice an easy way for hackers to attack your computer.

Here we're talking about water. The essential ingredient for life. You can live a lot longer not eating than drinking. I'd like to see one of these gas company CEO's move to a house that uses well water and vow, just before they start fracking, that he'll drink water from his well for the rest of his life.

I would have sworn that was a hoax. Is this for real? REALLY?

Quote Originally Posted by moey8 View Post
    I would have sworn that was a hoax. Is this for real? REALLY?
    Yes, it's real. Read the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    Yes, it's real. Read the OP.
    Yes, SteelyDan, I did. Adding clarifying emoticon as follows:

Flabbergasted response based on near-unbelievable circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by moey8 View Post
    Yes, SteelyDan, I did. Adding clarifying emoticon as follows:

Flabbergasted response based on near-unbelievable circumstances.
    It seems the almighty dollar is more important than taking care of people. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by amandab View Post
    I first learned about this watching the documentary "Gasland" have any of you seen it? Scary, scary stuff......
    I have that documentary saved on my DVD player. These people were lead to believe this was a harmless way to make a little money with their land. When the people started holding a flame to the faucet and it would catch on fire I knew, somebody made a big mistake. When the media got a hold of the story, it was only then they admitted they made a mistake. They dug to deep. There were no regulations as usual. Now these people are sick, they've lost their livestock and pets it's bad really bad. The thing that really makes me upset is we can use other sources. It would have been just as easy to stick up some solar panels or wind mills, but maybe that would have been to easy and safe.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

Quote Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
    I have that documentary saved on my DVD player. These people were lead to believe this was a harmless way to make a little money with their land. When the people started holding a flame to the faucet and it would catch on fire I knew, somebody made a big mistake. When the media got a hold of the story, it was only then they admitted they made a mistake. They dug to deep. There were no regulations as usual. Now these people are sick, they've lost their livestock and pets it's bad really bad. The thing that really makes me upset is we can use other sources. It would have been just as easy to stick up some solar panels or wind mills, but maybe that would have been to easy and safe.
    [sarcasm]There's no reason for regulations because the market polices itself and it makes things more expensive[/sarcasm]

Some regulations are stupid and unnecessary but when things like this happen they need to say STOP! Let's look into this a lot more before we continue. Once again we are faced with the "It doesn't affect me, it saves me money", I don't give a crap attitude by a lot if not most Americans. However, as soon as it does affect them they're up in arms against it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast