Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legendary Chicago Cubs player and broadcaster Ron Santo - Dead at 70

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176

Unhappy Legendary Chicago Cubs player and broadcaster Ron Santo - Dead at 70

Legendary Chicago Cubs player and broadcaster Ron Santo died Thursday night in Arizona. He was 70.

Friends of Santo's family said the North Side icon lapsed into a coma on Wednesday before dying Thursday. Santo died of complications from bladder cancer, WGN-AM 720 reported.

"He absolutely loved the Cubs," said Santo's broadcast partner, Pat Hughes. "The Cubs have lost their biggest fan."

<snip>

"Ronnie will forever be the heart and soul of Cubs fans."

<snip>

Santo was the quintessential Cubs fan and made no apologies for his on-air cheerleading or his utter frustration over a Cub's misplay.

On many occasions, when Santo was upset with the way things were going for the team, a simple grunt sufficed.

"I'm a fan," he explained last summer. "I can't plan what I do. I get embarrassed sometimes when I hear what I said, like, 'Oh, no, what's going on?' But it's an emotion.

"This is being a Cub fan."

<snip>

Santo never witnessed his longtime goal of election to the Baseball Hall of Fame despite career numbers that mark him as one of baseball's all-time great third basemen. He finished with a .277 average over 15 major league seasons, with 342 home runs and 1,331 runs batted in.

Full article at link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...rce=feedburner

A very sad day here in the Cubby home. I absolutely adored Ron Santo. Loved him in the booth. Always turned the volume off the TV and had to listen to him call games on the radio. His words from the booth exemplied and poured out the emotion every die hard Cub fan felt during the game. I could always tell what the Cubs were doing just by the tone of Ronnies voice - even if I hadn't yet heard the score. The tears are falling here this morning. We lost a great Cub fan yesterday.

You will forever be missed and listening to the games just won't be the same without you Ronnie! I'm so glad I have some clips of him from the booth on CD. I'm gonna so miss hearing you on the radio in the 2011 season Ronnie! My heart is greiving today.

Rest in Peace Ronnie. You're with the Angels now.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Thanks for telling us, Cubby. This breaks my heart even though I never got to hear Ronnie on the radio. I know the feeling though as I felt the same way when Harry Carey died. I cried for days. Everytime the 7th inning stretch rolled around, I cried again. Please know that I will be praying for his family and also for yours. The world lost another good one and he will be missed.
    "This Time We Get it Right!"

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary.
    For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Stuart Chase

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joeskidbeck For This Useful Post:

Requiescat in pace, great Ron, from a Cardinals fan who admired you even when you were robbing a Redbird of extra bases.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Thanks Joeskidbeck and wfgodot. I cried when Harry died too but I don't think I felt as sad then as I do now. Harry was more a comedian in the booth. Ronnie was just literally heartfelt poured out emotion. He did sometimes go off on tangents with long stories so that turned off some fans. But I loved that about him too....

I was too young to see him play but I've loved him since he started in the booth.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

I was a Chicago child of the 60's and I grew up on and cherished Ron Santo,Ernie Banks, and all the late 60's Cubs.
    RIP Ron. You decorated my childhood.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

RIP Ron.

Ron singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" from the broadcast booth at Wrigley Field; it's classic Ron Santo:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbTksNzfZ7w[/ame]
    "Don't forget the kangaroo!"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoppyfrog For This Useful Post:

AP
    2010-12-03

FILE - This June 24, 1969, file photo, shows Chicago Cubs third baseman Ron Santo (10) clicking his heels on the way to the locker room after his ninth-inning sacrifice fly allowed the winning run to score for a 5-4 victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates, in Chicago. Santo died Thursday, Dec. 2, 2010, in an Arizona hospital from complications of bladder cancer. He was 70. (AP Photo)

AP
    2010-12-03

FILE - In this 1971, file photo, Chicago Cubs infielder Ron Santo is shown in Scottsdale, Ariz. Santo, widely regarded as one of the best players never to gain induction into the Hall of Fame, died Thursday, Dec. 2, 2010 in an Arizona hospital from complications of bladder cancer. He was 70.

Santo throws out the first pitch at a Cubs game. The MLB legend was beloved by fans.

<snip>

<snip> nothing brought fans closer to Santo—or caused critics to roll their eyes more—than his work in the radio booth, where he made it clear that nobody rooted harder for the Cubs and nobody took it harder when they lost. Santo’s groans of “Oh, nooo!” and “It’s bad” when something bad happened to the Cubs, sometimes just minutes after he shouting, “YES! YES!” or “ALL RIGHT!” became part of team lore as the “Cubbies” came up short year after year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-obit-santo
    ~JMO~

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

A classic Ron Santo moment in the broadcast booth with Pat Hughes:

Ron: "Pat, this morning I had pancakes, but they tasted like blueberries."

Pat: "Well, Ronnie, perhaps they were blueberry pancakes."

Ron: "Oh, I didn't know they made pancakes with blueberries in them."
    Last edited by hoppyfrog; 12-03-2010 at 05:35 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoppyfrog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Legendary Chicago Cubs player and broadcaster Ron Santo died Thursday night in Arizona. He was 70.

Friends of Santo's family said the North Side icon lapsed into a coma on Wednesday before dying Thursday. Santo died of complications from bladder cancer, WGN-AM 720 reported.

"He absolutely loved the Cubs," said Santo's broadcast partner, Pat Hughes. "The Cubs have lost their biggest fan."

<snip>

"Ronnie will forever be the heart and soul of Cubs fans."

<snip>

Santo was the quintessential Cubs fan and made no apologies for his on-air cheerleading or his utter frustration over a Cub's misplay.

On many occasions, when Santo was upset with the way things were going for the team, a simple grunt sufficed.

"I'm a fan," he explained last summer. "I can't plan what I do. I get embarrassed sometimes when I hear what I said, like, 'Oh, no, what's going on?' But it's an emotion.

"This is being a Cub fan."

<snip>

Santo never witnessed his longtime goal of election to the Baseball Hall of Fame despite career numbers that mark him as one of baseball's all-time great third basemen. He finished with a .277 average over 15 major league seasons, with 342 home runs and 1,331 runs batted in.

Full article at link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...rce=feedburner

A very sad day here in the Cubby home. I absolutely adored Ron Santo. Loved him in the booth. Always turned the volume off the TV and had to listen to him call games on the radio. His words from the booth exemplied and poured out the emotion every die hard Cub fan felt during the game. I could always tell what the Cubs were doing just by the tone of Ronnies voice - even if I hadn't yet heard the score. The tears are falling here this morning. We lost a great Cub fan yesterday.

You will forever be missed and listening to the games just won't be the same without you Ronnie! I'm so glad I have some clips of him from the booth on CD. I'm gonna so miss hearing you on the radio in the 2011 season Ronnie! My heart is greiving today.

Rest in Peace Ronnie. You're with the Angels now.
    I adored him too Cubby. Him and Rick Monday.
    He will be so missed and I'm so sad he didn't get what he wished for.

I just heard a few minutes ago Rest In Peace Ronnie.

Beautiful Rox.
    Sept. 18, 1997 - May 26 2012
    Rest peacefully my love I'll forever miss you.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drip~drop For This Useful Post:

Cubby, I'm so sorry.

I'm a Giants fan since I was a kid when they came to S.F., but the Cubbies have always been close to my heart. I didn't get to hear Ron in the broadcasts but sure remember him in his playing days. He was terrific. He should be in The Hall for sure.

RIP Ron Santo

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to montana_16 For This Useful Post:

First email I got this morning was from my best friend, a major Cubs fan, with the sad news. Just got another one from him: "I've been bummed out all day" was all it said, and said it all.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    First email I got this morning was from my best friend, a major Cubs fan, with the sad news. Just got another one from him: "I've been bummed out all day" was all it said, and said it all.
    BBM. Me too. I didn't know he had cancer. I don't know when he was dx'd or even how long he's had it, so this came as a complete surprise and shock. He was expected back for the 2011 season.

I think all Cub fans are bummed today.
    ~JMO~

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by drip~drop View Post
    I adored him too Cubby. Him and Rick Monday.
    He will be so missed and I'm so sad he didn't get what he wished for.

I just heard a few minutes ago Rest In Peace Ronnie.
    I remember Rick Monday.
    ~JMO~

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbLU_nEmS4w[/ame]

the best part may be starting at 2:10 when Ron starts berating Pat over not picking a favorite cake. I heard the cake thing on the radio this afternoon. Hilarious! I think it starts about 2:10

'Gn was playing great clips of Ron and Pat this afternoon.

------------------

Everyone did the feet click at 2:10 CST this afternoon.
    I was driving- had to be off to pick the kiddo up from school.
    Thank God for cruise control (and that the light didn't turn yellow) so I could click my feet while driving!

Photoshop by @plamorte

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/leag...#ixzz175zxAFNr
    ~JMO~

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

'Gn was playing great clips of Ron and Pat this afternoon.

I wish I had thought to turn it on!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to hoppyfrog For This Useful Post:

BBM. Me too. I didn't know he had cancer. I don't know when he was dx'd or even how long he's had it, so this came as a complete surprise and shock. He was expected back for the 2011 season.

I think all Cub fans are bummed today.
    I knew he was diabetic, but nothing about the cancer. Cubby didya know I was a bleacher bum at Wrigley during the 60's and 70's? Rarely missed a home opener. Of course there were no lights then LOL. I have never been to Wrigley since they installed lights I don't think. I did have a few hoots over at the Cubby Bear back in the day

31. The Following User Says Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

Well I guess the cancer or bladder tumors had been diagnosed some time ago, 2003, but were not widely known.

Copied from Google news archives because the articles are PTV.

The Denver Post: Cheering for Santo, Cubs easy
    $1.95 - Denver Post - Oct 8, 2003
    Although it hasn't been widely announced, Santo was diagnosed with cancer. Diabetes and cancer, two of the most devastating, killer diseases. ...
    CUBS PULLING FOR NO. 1 FAN ; Santo slate...- Chicago Tribune (Pay-Per-View)
    Santo Faces Surgery For Bladder Tumors- Newsday (Pay-Per-View)
    all 13 news articles »
    ~JMO~

Quote Originally Posted by hoppyfrog View Post

I wish I had thought to turn it on!

I'm sure there will be more on the radio over the weekend.
    IIRC Sunday at 2pm cst they'll be playing something about one of Kerry Woods games.
    ~JMO~

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Santo a player unlike any other.

Great article with lots of info on Santo including his childhood in Seattle, when he first learnt he was diabetic..... worth the read for all true baseball fans.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/29422...120310.article
    ~JMO~

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

The Greatest Player Not in the Hall
    (from Joe Posnanski of Sports Illustrated's blog)

the closing paragraphs:

Of course, he stayed around the game. He became an enthusiastic Cubs radio broadcaster. He remained a wonderful presence in Chicago. He was beloved. That's the overwhelming feeling Friday after Ron Santo died at the age of 70. He was beloved as few ballplayers are ever beloved. I have little doubt he would have loved to be elected to the Hall of Fame, and my own baseball instincts tell me that it should have happened long ago. But when I was around him, when I listened to him, when I once interviewed him about the Hall of Fame, I never heard any disappointment or bitterness. I heard a man who loved the game and loved life.

And I look at this this way: Someone has to be the greatest player to not get into the Hall of Fame. Not everyone could handle that sort of thing. Ron Santo wore it beautifully.
    ---
    http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/201...hall.html#more

38. The Following User Says Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Excerpts of Pat Hughes’ eulogy for Ron Santo

http://www.suntimes.com/2785661-417/...nie-santo.html

This will have Santo and Baseball fans laughing through any sadness on the loss of Ron. Worth the read.
    ~JMO~

Ron Santo remembererd.

http://www.wgnradio.com/sports/chi-1...7.photogallery

Fans applaud as Santo procession circles Wrigley

11:47 a.m. Ron Santo's hearse arrived at Wrigley Field and circled the ballpark as several hundred mourners-- lined up two and three deep on Addison and Clark streets -- applauded. After circling the park, the hearse, bearing two No. 10 flags on its front end, stopped for several minutes at Clark and Addison as more than 1,000 people took photographs and applauded some more.

http://www.wgnradio.com/wgnam-ron-sa...9.story?page=1

What I haven't found is video of the hearse circling Wrigley. If anyone can find video please post! I'd love to save a copy. What I haven't found yet in any online articles is in addition to the thousand or so fans at Wrigley is when Ronnies hearse paused for several minutes at the corner of Clark and Addison not only did they break out in cheer, they broke out in an impromptu singing Take Me out to the Ball Game.

If it wasn't for needing to get my car repaired for this weekends storm Friday morning and I had a sitter to pick the kiddo up from school I would have been amongst that crowd at Wrigley saying our final goodbyes to Ronnie.

Ronnie will be deeply missed. He gave much to the game and according to the radio raised over 60 million for juvenille diabetes. What an amazing man we've lost.
    ~JMO~

Ron Santo Memorial photo gallery:

http://www3.timeoutny.com/chicago/bl...t+Chicago+Blog)

A few from my FB news wall.

~JMO~

Ronnie Woo Woo's tribute to Santo.

http://videos.wittysparks.com/id/36028864826089355
    Last edited by Cubby; 12-11-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    ~JMO~

Thanks for this thread. I grew up with the Cubs starting in the late 70's, so I missed the season of '69 (I was only 2). I recorded the WGN midday news yesterday so I could see highlights of the funeral and procession. If I still lived near Chicago, I think I'd have to have taken a bereavement day off work. R.I.P. #10.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to cats5vegas For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast