Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    72,858

    Unhappy Legendary Chicago Cubs player and broadcaster Ron Santo - Dead at 70

    Legendary Chicago Cubs player and broadcaster Ron Santo died Thursday night in Arizona. He was 70.

    Friends of Santo's family said the North Side icon lapsed into a coma on Wednesday before dying Thursday. Santo died of complications from bladder cancer, WGN-AM 720 reported.

    "He absolutely loved the Cubs," said Santo's broadcast partner, Pat Hughes. "The Cubs have lost their biggest fan."


    <snip>

    "Ronnie will forever be the heart and soul of Cubs fans."

    <snip>

    Santo was the quintessential Cubs fan and made no apologies for his on-air cheerleading or his utter frustration over a Cub's misplay.

    On many occasions, when Santo was upset with the way things were going for the team, a simple grunt sufficed.

    "I'm a fan," he explained last summer. "I can't plan what I do. I get embarrassed sometimes when I hear what I said, like, 'Oh, no, what's going on?' But it's an emotion.

    "This is being a Cub fan."



    <snip>

    Santo never witnessed his longtime goal of election to the Baseball Hall of Fame despite career numbers that mark him as one of baseball's all-time great third basemen. He finished with a .277 average over 15 major league seasons, with 342 home runs and 1,331 runs batted in.

    Full article at link:

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...rce=feedburner



    A very sad day here in the Cubby home. I absolutely adored Ron Santo. Loved him in the booth. Always turned the volume off the TV and had to listen to him call games on the radio. His words from the booth exemplied and poured out the emotion every die hard Cub fan felt during the game. I could always tell what the Cubs were doing just by the tone of Ronnies voice - even if I hadn't yet heard the score. The tears are falling here this morning. We lost a great Cub fan yesterday.

    You will forever be missed and listening to the games just won't be the same without you Ronnie! I'm so glad I have some clips of him from the booth on CD. I'm gonna so miss hearing you on the radio in the 2011 season Ronnie! My heart is greiving today.

    Rest in Peace Ronnie. You're with the Angels now.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.


    Websleuths Resource Center

    Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing


  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,897
    Thanks for telling us, Cubby. This breaks my heart even though I never got to hear Ronnie on the radio. I know the feeling though as I felt the same way when Harry Carey died. I cried for days. Everytime the 7th inning stretch rolled around, I cried again. Please know that I will be praying for his family and also for yours. The world lost another good one and he will be missed.
    "This Time We Get it Right!"

    "For those who believe, no proof is necessary.
    For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Stuart Chase


  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joeskidbeck For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Taghkanics
    Posts
    26,154
    Requiescat in pace, great Ron, from a Cardinals fan who admired you even when you were robbing a Redbird of extra bases.


  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    72,858
    Thanks Joeskidbeck and wfgodot. I cried when Harry died too but I don't think I felt as sad then as I do now. Harry was more a comedian in the booth. Ronnie was just literally heartfelt poured out emotion. He did sometimes go off on tangents with long stories so that turned off some fans. But I loved that about him too....

    I was too young to see him play but I've loved him since he started in the booth.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.


    Websleuths Resource Center

    Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing


  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,812
    I was a Chicago child of the 60's and I grew up on and cherished Ron Santo,Ernie Banks, and all the late 60's Cubs.
    RIP Ron. You decorated my childhood.


  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On the Third Coast
    Posts
    8,688
    RIP Ron.

    Ron singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" from the broadcast booth at Wrigley Field; it's classic Ron Santo:

    Last edited by KateB; 06-12-2015 at 08:38 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    "Don't forget the kangaroo!"


  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoppyfrog For This Useful Post:


  13. #7
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    72,858
    AP
    2010-12-03


    FILE - This June 24, 1969, file photo, shows Chicago Cubs third baseman Ron Santo (10) clicking his heels on the way to the locker room after his ninth-inning sacrifice fly allowed the winning run to score for a 5-4 victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates, in Chicago. Santo died Thursday, Dec. 2, 2010, in an Arizona hospital from complications of bladder cancer. He was 70. (AP Photo)




    AP
    2010-12-03


    FILE - In this 1971, file photo, Chicago Cubs infielder Ron Santo is shown in Scottsdale, Ariz. Santo, widely regarded as one of the best players never to gain induction into the Hall of Fame, died Thursday, Dec. 2, 2010 in an Arizona hospital from complications of bladder cancer. He was 70.




    Santo throws out the first pitch at a Cubs game. The MLB legend was beloved by fans.



    <snip>

    <snip> nothing brought fans closer to Santo—or caused critics to roll their eyes more—than his work in the radio booth, where he made it clear that nobody rooted harder for the Cubs and nobody took it harder when they lost. Santo’s groans of “Oh, nooo!” and “It’s bad” when something bad happened to the Cubs, sometimes just minutes after he shouting, “YES! YES!” or “ALL RIGHT!” became part of team lore as the “Cubbies” came up short year after year.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-obit-santo
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.


    Websleuths Resource Center

    Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing


  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


  15. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On the Third Coast
    Posts
    8,688
    A classic Ron Santo moment in the broadcast booth with Pat Hughes:


    Ron: "Pat, this morning I had pancakes, but they tasted like blueberries."

    Pat: "Well, Ronnie, perhaps they were blueberry pancakes."

    Ron: "Oh, I didn't know they made pancakes with blueberries in them."
    Last edited by hoppyfrog; 12-03-2010 at 05:35 PM.
    "Don't forget the kangaroo!"


  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoppyfrog For This Useful Post:


  17. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    In the cooooold!
    Posts
    4,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Legendary Chicago Cubs player and broadcaster Ron Santo died Thursday night in Arizona. He was 70.

    Friends of Santo's family said the North Side icon lapsed into a coma on Wednesday before dying Thursday. Santo died of complications from bladder cancer, WGN-AM 720 reported.

    "He absolutely loved the Cubs," said Santo's broadcast partner, Pat Hughes. "The Cubs have lost their biggest fan."


    <snip>

    "Ronnie will forever be the heart and soul of Cubs fans."

    <snip>

    Santo was the quintessential Cubs fan and made no apologies for his on-air cheerleading or his utter frustration over a Cub's misplay.

    On many occasions, when Santo was upset with the way things were going for the team, a simple grunt sufficed.

    "I'm a fan," he explained last summer. "I can't plan what I do. I get embarrassed sometimes when I hear what I said, like, 'Oh, no, what's going on?' But it's an emotion.

    "This is being a Cub fan."



    <snip>

    Santo never witnessed his longtime goal of election to the Baseball Hall of Fame despite career numbers that mark him as one of baseball's all-time great third basemen. He finished with a .277 average over 15 major league seasons, with 342 home runs and 1,331 runs batted in.

    Full article at link:

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...rce=feedburner



    A very sad day here in the Cubby home. I absolutely adored Ron Santo. Loved him in the booth. Always turned the volume off the TV and had to listen to him call games on the radio. His words from the booth exemplied and poured out the emotion every die hard Cub fan felt during the game. I could always tell what the Cubs were doing just by the tone of Ronnies voice - even if I hadn't yet heard the score. The tears are falling here this morning. We lost a great Cub fan yesterday.

    You will forever be missed and listening to the games just won't be the same without you Ronnie! I'm so glad I have some clips of him from the booth on CD. I'm gonna so miss hearing you on the radio in the 2011 season Ronnie! My heart is greiving today.

    Rest in Peace Ronnie. You're with the Angels now.
    I adored him too Cubby. Him and Rick Monday.
    He will be so missed and I'm so sad he didn't get what he wished for.

    I just heard a few minutes ago Rest In Peace Ronnie.

    Beautiful Rox.
    Sept. 18, 1997 - May 26 2012
    Rest peacefully my love I'll forever miss you.


  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drip~drop For This Useful Post:


  19. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,492
    Cubby, I'm so sorry.

    I'm a Giants fan since I was a kid when they came to S.F., but the Cubbies have always been close to my heart. I didn't get to hear Ron in the broadcasts but sure remember him in his playing days. He was terrific. He should be in The Hall for sure.

    RIP Ron Santo


  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to montana_16 For This Useful Post:


  21. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Taghkanics
    Posts
    26,154
    First email I got this morning was from my best friend, a major Cubs fan, with the sad news. Just got another one from him: "I've been bummed out all day" was all it said, and said it all.


  22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:


  23. #12
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    72,858
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    First email I got this morning was from my best friend, a major Cubs fan, with the sad news. Just got another one from him: "I've been bummed out all day" was all it said, and said it all.
    BBM. Me too. I didn't know he had cancer. I don't know when he was dx'd or even how long he's had it, so this came as a complete surprise and shock. He was expected back for the 2011 season.

    I think all Cub fans are bummed today.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.


    Websleuths Resource Center

    Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing


  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


  25. #13
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    72,858
    Quote Originally Posted by drip~drop View Post
    I adored him too Cubby. Him and Rick Monday.
    He will be so missed and I'm so sad he didn't get what he wished for.

    I just heard a few minutes ago Rest In Peace Ronnie.
    I remember Rick Monday.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.


    Websleuths Resource Center

    Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing


  26. #14
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    72,858


    the best part may be starting at 2:10 when Ron starts berating Pat over not picking a favorite cake. I heard the cake thing on the radio this afternoon. Hilarious! I think it starts about 2:10

    'Gn was playing great clips of Ron and Pat this afternoon.


    ------------------



    Everyone did the feet click at 2:10 CST this afternoon.
    I was driving- had to be off to pick the kiddo up from school.
    Thank God for cruise control (and that the light didn't turn yellow) so I could click my feet while driving!

    Photoshop by @plamorte







    Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/leag...#ixzz175zxAFNr
    Last edited by KateB; 06-12-2015 at 08:37 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.


    Websleuths Resource Center

    Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing


  27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:


  28. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On the Third Coast
    Posts
    8,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post

    'Gn was playing great clips of Ron and Pat this afternoon.



    I wish I had thought to turn it on!
    "Don't forget the kangaroo!"


  29. The Following User Says Thank You to hoppyfrog For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-13-2013, 01:27 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 11:02 AM
  3. Houston News Anchor Ron Stone Dead At 72
    By kato in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 11:56 AM
  4. Three Women Found Dead In Chicago Apartments
    By mfmangel1 in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 06:13 PM
  5. Chicago man gets parking tickets when dead in the SUV
    By PonderingThings in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2006, 11:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •