Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NY - Hasidic Rabbi, Sons Accused of Sexually Abusing Girls (Brooklyn)

A spokeswoman for the Administration for Children’s Services would not comment on any visits to the home because of the investigation. She said the agency was in the process of taking some of the children from the house and was “working to ensure the safety of all the children.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/04/ny...html?src=twrhp

I read an article in MSM - dealing with changes within the Orthodox Jewish Community and Child Sexual Abuse that I wanted to quote (so I didn't mess it up) I can't find it now so I'll quote the following that states the same just not quite as well as the first one:

“Breaking the Silence: Sexual Abuse in the Jewish Community.”

It is the first extensive treatment of sexual abuse among Jews aimed at a religious audience, and it faces the explosive topic head on — from advice on contacting police to filing abuse reports to halachic arguments about why reporting molesters is in keeping with Jewish law...

“There’s been some kind of tipping point that’s been reached,” said Dr. Pelcovitz. The book, he explained “reflects the openness, I’m seeing the default setting seems to be shifting to action rather than denial. People have come to an understanding that responding to the issue of abuse, both in supporting the victims of abuse and dealing with the perpetrators is much more important than the issue of shame and stigma.”

http://failedmessiah.typepad.com/fai...roken-567.html
    One thing of interest this article uses is changes with the Catholic Church has aided in making changes in the Orthodox Community

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LCoastMom For This Useful Post:

Hasidic Rabbi, Sons Accused of Sexually Abusing Girls

We kno the story so I sniped the bottom of this articel.

State Assemblyman Dov Hikind, whose districts include many of the ultra-Orthodox neighborhoods, discussed sexual abuse among members of the insular world of ultra-Orthodox Jews on a radio show in 2008, prompting dozens of listeners to come forward with stories of abuse. Critics have said sex abuse claims are sometimes handled quietly in Orthodox rabbinical courts, rather than being reported to authorities.

As a result, the state earmarked about $1 million to fund Hikind's plans to teach Hasidic Jews to speak up against child molestation. Prosecutors, counselors and religious leaders in Brooklyn banded together last year to form a program to combat sexual abuse in the community. A hot line was established where victims can call and speak with a "culturally sensitive" social worker.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/loca...-20101203-apx#

It is good that money is set aside but to what? is my question. IMHO there should be a study of:
    WHY religious leaders in all faiths do such horrific things, which are in fact totally against any religion.
    A course can be developed to train them HOW to seek help if they feel an urge to go against all human decency.
    Sadly I think some of this bad behavior is a result of mental imbalance.
    also - it goes on in politics too, where it is more hushed, part of the game in the secret societies.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly... on a broomstick.

We're flexible like that.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to songline For This Useful Post:

I keep on searching for an update on this story.
    But sadly I cant find any.
    I wonder if they have been found and brought back to the US.
    Women are Angels.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to songline For This Useful Post:

Why do some cases just disapear?
    Women are Angels.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to songline For This Useful Post:

Songline--He's not forgotten by me. I check the news at least 3 times each week for him. He's on my "list". I'm certain that he'll be found at some point. We had a man, a child therapist, from our town abscond to Israel just before he was set to go to prison for the sexual abuse of developmentally disabled therapy clients. It took 9 years to find him in Netanya but Interpol never gave up. They got very tricky and followed his wife to a secret visit and nabbed him as he exited his house to greet her.

Israel cooperated and immediately jailed the man but they had to change the current laws about extradition as the laws only covered those convicted of abusing girls. Samuel Arthur Silverman of Ashland, Oregon is the reason those Israeli laws now also cover the abuse of males on extradition charges. He's currently doing his time in an Oregon prison.

Don't give up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12