1035 users online (234 members and 801 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

TX - Demerius Garriett, 2, & Cecil Hopkins, 58, The Woodlands, 2 Dec 2010

Family: Toddler, missing with grandfather, feared in danger

A Houston mother is praying for the safe return of her toddler who has been missing almost 36 hours.

Sohobani Lathan said 2-year-old Demerius Garriett was last seen Thursday with his step-grandfather Cecil Hopkins, who is also missing.

The family says that Hopkins had long-term issues with drug abuse and has been known to vanish for days at a time.

[snip]

The toddler was left with his grandparents while his mom went to work. The family said he left home with his grandparents at about 10 a.m. Thursday to head to a doctor’s appointment on FM 1960. A pain-management clinic in the Woodlands was the last place anyone saw Hopkins and the toddler.

More: http://www.khou.com/news/local/-Fami...111308324.html

Cecil B. Hopkins, 58, was accompanied by his two-year-old grandson Demerius Garriett when last seen

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=7823147

TX - Demerius Garriett, 2, last seen w/ step-grandfather in The Woodlands 02-Dec-2010

Demerius Garriett

Cecil Hopkins

HOUSTON – A Houston mother is praying for the safe return of her toddler who has been missing almost 36 hours.

Sohobani Lathan said 2-year-old Demerius Garriett was last seen Thursday with his step-grandfather Cecil Hopkins, who is also missing.

The family says that Hopkins had long-term issues with drug abuse and has been known to vanish for days at a time.

"I haven't been asleep at all. We have been driving everywhere. Everywhere that we could think of," Lathan said. "I'm trying not to think the worst, but that seems to be what is happening. He's helpless. He's 2."

The family says they believe the child is in trouble.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/-Fami...111308324.html

=============================

Hopkins is described as 6 feet tall, and weighs about 185 pounds. No description of his clothing was available. His grandson was wearing a red-and-black warm-up suit.

They were in a 2001 white Hyundai Accent with Texas license plate SVY711.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/7322961.html
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

wow...this is my neighborhood...in fact the pain clinic is next to my "doggy day care" and this is the first of I've heard of it. Thanks...I obviously missed all news tday...but I don't recall seeing it on any of the highway "flashing" billboards, for which there is one at the exit going to the clinic in The Woodlands and another one at the 1960 exit off 45...both of which I passed several times today. Granted I might have missed it...can't imagine haw...not that irs relevant to them finding these two...just foind it interestin...

Oh my gosh! This is my neighborhood as well! We just got back from The Woodlands a little while ago, as a matter of fact. it's just a 10 minute drive up the freeway. Will be keeping a close eye out!
    The dead cannot cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them. ~Lois McMaster Bujold

Quote Originally Posted by everyoneneedsavoice View Post
    wow...this is my neighborhood...in fact the pain clinic is next to my "doggy day care" and this is the first of I've heard of it. Thanks...I obviously missed all news tday...but I don't recall seeing it on any of the highway "flashing" billboards, for which there is one at the exit going to the clinic in The Woodlands and another one at the 1960 exit off 45...both of which I passed several times today. Granted I might have missed it...can't imagine haw...not that irs relevant to them finding these two...just foind it interestin...
    There is no AMBER Alert, so they likely wouldn't have activated the boards. You probably didn't miss it.

Okay, why no AA? The child is believed to be in danger, they have full description of vehicle and adult...what criteria doesn't this case meet? Is is because the grandfather is also considered missing as opposed to being an abductor?
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    Okay, why no AA? The child is believed to be in danger, they have full description of vehicle and adult...what criteria doesn't this case meet? Is is because the grandfather is also considered missing as opposed to being an abductor?
    That would be my guess, nmk.

Babysitter of choice is a long term drug addict that is prone to disappearing for days at a time? Really?

How do you go from fine with him as a caretaker before work to terrified for his well being in the evening? Nothing has changed, he was a drug addict prone to disappearing for days on end when you picked him to care for your helpless child. Things like this make me mental. I hope they are both fine and home soon.

No AA.... AGAIN! Getting tired of the excuses!
    Don't be afraid to go out on a limb, that's where the froot is. ~ Yes, me posting MY own opinions/thoughts are putting me out on a limb...
    Please ignore typo's, I am on auto-type!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." ~ George S. Patton

Maybe Mom felt safe leaving him with grandparentS, assuming grandma would keep him safe?
    I hope they are both found safe quickly!
    If step-grandfather needed to disappear for a few, please let g-son go home!

Quote Originally Posted by impatientredhead View Post
    Babysitter of choice is a long term drug addict that is prone to disappearing for days at a time? Really?

How do you go from fine with him as a caretaker before work to terrified for his well being in the evening? Nothing has changed, he was a drug addict prone to disappearing for days on end when you picked him to care for your helpless child. Things like this make me mental. I hope they are both fine and home soon.
    Don't be afraid to go out on a limb, that's where the froot is. ~ Yes, me posting MY own opinions/thoughts are putting me out on a limb...
    Please ignore typo's, I am on auto-type!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." ~ George S. Patton

Very little information...

http://www.khou.com/news/local/-Fami...111308324.html

If the grandparents left home with the child and the grandfather and the child left the pain clinic... what happened to the grandmother? How did she get home? If he just left her at the clinic with no ride, why didn't that raise even more red flags?

What drug abuse issues? What type of drug?

Was the appointment at the pain clinic for him or his wife?

If it was for him, what was he going to get at the pain clinic and had he been on it regularly?

Would he have been getting something he hadn't been taking in a while and was really wanting, so may have taken too much of it?

Are they searching around the pain clinic, in case Grandpa did take too much of something and passed out somewhere?

Do they know where he has gone other times he's disappeared, have they checked those areas?

Have they done extensive searches for the car? Remember... the little boy who was missing for 24 hours after Dad got drunk and forgot where he left the car. He was in a parking garage not far from where he was last seen.

The lesson to be learned here:

If he had a history of drug abuse and disappearing, why was the child left unattended with him?

I have a family member who physically abused his now grown children.... he hasn't really even raised his voice since the last time 12 years ago. He still isn't allowed unattended around mine. Neither is his wife... because she didn't protect HER kids, why would I trust her to protect mine?

That temper is still there, every once in a while you can see it simmering there like the water getting ready to boil... It just has to be triggered and although we avoid most triggers (family dinners, sports games, etc)... putting him in control of my kids could easily be a trigger too.

I am not convinced at all that he is a changed man... he hasn't had a child living in the house since the last time he hit one.

Drug abuse is much the same way... going to a pain clinic could easily be a trigger even for someone who has been clean. A long term addict is not nearly as likely to get clean and I would have a very difficult time trusting them with my child... and I have several family members I adore who are addicts. Some are not a bad influence and can be around my kids. Others I will not even let be in the same building as my children. None of them however, are allowed to babysit.

THis is what the car looks like:

he has a criminal record, nothing serious that i have found so far, theft conviction with an arrest date of november 09, criminal tresspass before that

There is still no news on highway signs and far too little local news on these two. It's frightening!
    The dead cannot cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them. ~Lois McMaster Bujold

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast