GUILTY TN - Madison Murphree, 11 mos, dies of methadone OD, Memphis, 21 Oct 2010

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Tennessee's DHS has some explaining to do!! :mad:

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - A Tunica County woman is in jail after being charged with murdering her 11-month old baby while it was being treated at a Memphis hospital.

Police say she admitted to giving the baby her methadone pills, commonly used to treat people addicted to drugs.

On October 21st, after a doctor in Mississippi became concerned about the baby's condition, she was sent to her to Le bonheur Children's Hospital in Memphis, where she tested positive for Methadone.

The baby appeared to be getting better.

Two additional tests, between then and November 2nd were negative for methadone.

But the baby died, November 3rd. Another drug screen came back positive for methadone. Police say, the only person with access to the baby, was her mother. They say she was responsible for giving her the drug.

30-year old Angela Davis Murphree is now charged with first degree murder and aggravated child abuse.

According to an affidavit, Murphree admitted to Memphis police that she crushed her methadone pills and put them in her baby's food. The report didn't say why.

more here

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/local/120310-mother-charged-in-infant’s-death

I don't get it. I really don't. Every single state has laws that allow parents to just walk away. No one needs to resort to this. Besides that - unless she is hopelessly insane she had to know she would be caught.

RIP Lil One.

Wait. A Doctor send the baby to hospital. The baby tests positive for methadone. Not Tylenol or Triminic, but methadone. They then allow mom to visit in the hospital.

O.K. then a tox screen comes back positive for methadone? This child is murdered in a hospital by her own mother with her mother's methadone? :banghead:

Where was the mom getting her methadone at the clinic? If she's poisoning her own baby with her mathadone then she's either still using or in some kind of big time pain. Insane it is. Insane and senseless.

I wonder if this is a case of munchausen by proxy? Was the mother trying to get attention or trying to be a hero and save her child?

!#^&*!

I want to scream. How is it that people like this are walking around in society like they're normal human beings? How is it that someone can SLOWLY KILL THEIR CHILD and go on about their business like it's just another day in the neighbourhood.

ARGHHH.

!#^&*!

I want to scream. How is it that people like this are walking around in society like they're normal human beings? How is it that someone can SLOWLY KILL THEIR CHILD and go on about their business like it's just another day in the neighbourhood.

ARGHHH.

Well, LadyL if this holds any truth it's much worse.

A man who used the service of the clinic Murphree went to said he knew this would happen. She'd ask people in the line while waiting her turn at the clinic if they wanted to sell their methadone. She point blank said it was for her baby.

Alright then we have how many people heard this?

Then again not sure if this article is to be believed because they said poor Madison had benzo's in her system. Methadone not being a benzo who knows? Then again the people in line said she also gave the baby Xanax.

Soooooooo did she at some point give this poor baby methadone and Xanax and then feared she'd be in withdrawl? Obviously the hospital is equiped to spot that.

Who the heck knows? Was she trying to get the attention of Mr. Murphree? I just knew there was no way she was giving up her own methadone unless she was still using herself. How sad is this? Sad! Nobody to help protect this baby even in hospital.

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-angela-murphree,0,6404082.story

Is it possible that this "mother" is/was a herion user during her pregnancy and in her drug fueled/mentally ill reasoning she thinks she is helping the baby with the addiction she was born with?

She was telling people it was for the baby. She didn't seem to think it was wrong?

Why she was allowed unsupervised with this child I don't understand.

Is it possible that this "mother" is/was a herion user during her pregnancy and in her drug fueled/mentally ill reasoning she thinks she is helping the baby with the addiction she was born with?

She was telling people it was for the baby. She didn't seem to think it was wrong?

Why she was allowed unsupervised with this child I don't understand.

BBM

On October 21st, after a doctor in Mississippi became concerned about the baby's condition, she was sent to her to Le bonheur Children's Hospital in Memphis, where she tested positive for Methadone.

Two additional tests, between then and November 2nd were negative for methadone.

The baby appeared to be getting better.

The baby died, November 3rd... The Medical Examiner ruled the baby's death was a homicide, as a result of complications from the toxic effects of methadone.

I understand what your thoughts are but can't see this as her trying to help, since the baby was getting well - while clean!

Munchausen by proxy? Maybe... Insane... maybe... tired of caring for her baby?? Maybe...

Drug addicts are amazing well self educated about drug use and preventing withdrawal - if she was using while pregnant - to continue to use and breast breast feed should have gotten the baby through - but most clinics use liquid methadone and the article says she ground up pills??

Arraignment.

Defense attorney asking for a mental health examination. Mental health issues in the past and he's going to get to the bottom of it.

Not guilty plea. More at link.

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13625475

BTW, I wondered as well what clinic was handing out methadone pills? Unfortunately the clinic is like a drug store personified. Not all clinics of course, but they are notorious for people selling and buying drugs while waiting to get dosed. The liquid chains. There's addicts who actually will buy/sell/trade a sip cup. Take the dose. They don't swallow. Spit it out for another addict.

Again this is not all clinics. There are many functioning, fine people that get their methadone every single day out in this world and it has saved their lives. What is up with this woman and her poor child we will find out.

RIP sweet baby.

I wonder if this is a case of munchausen by proxy? Was the mother trying to get attention or trying to be a hero and save her child?

That's what I'm thinking. I've seen/read stories where mothers will feed their children cleaning products, and even feces. They (and her) have to be really sick in the mind to think they can do this and get away with it.

MOO

Mel

ETA: I don't understand why the hospital didn't cut the mother off from seeing her child the minute the baby tested positive. CPS should have been the first to do that :(

during this July 2009 arrest, wouldn't she have been visibly pregnant???

http://www.commercialappeal.com/new...his-woman-drug-related-death-inf/?partner=RSS

In July of 2009, Murphree was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of a controlled substance when officers stopped her vehicle near Highland and Walnut Grove in East Memphis, records show.

According to the affidavit in that case, a search found several DVDs that were determined to be stolen from an area Big Lots store earlier that day, a marijuana cigarette in the vehicle's center console and two syringes in Murphree's purse.

give the mother enough pills to OD her now!!! I'm so angry at the abuse children go through!

Hello all. I am from Memphis and when I saw this on the news, I literally alomost threw up. Just a couple things, LeBonheur Hospital is a wonderful hospital and Memphis is lucky to have it here. I do not understand why DHS was not contacted when the baby tested positive for Methadone. Not sure what happened there. Also, I have met this girl Angie before. It has been a couple years ago. I believe she may have a son also who is a lil bit older than the daughter who just passed. Nothing has been said about that so I very well could be wrong. Angie was on methadone at the Memphis Center for Research and Addiction Treatment. Whether or not she is still on it and was at that "clinic" I do not know. I maybe saw her 2 times a week for 15 min. She was a nice girl who appeared "normal" and seemed to be getting her stuff together. Appearances huh? As I didnt even know her last name until I saw the news. I will say that people do wait in line early for the "clinic". The fact that is was stated in the News Channel 3 article that she was asking t buy methadone for the baby is not suprising. All types at the Methadone Clinic from Lawyers to Painters to people who are trying to get their life together to people who just want another high. The attorney she hired is Leslie Ballin. He is the go to criminal attorney in Memphis. I do not have all the links but if you are interested in reading a;; the articles you can google the following Memphis news outlets:

www.commercialappeal.com ( I know this one)
Action News Five Memphis
WREG News Memphis
Fox 13 Memphis

I want to stress that I have not seen her in a long time and was just on a hello chit chat type thing.

She was arraigned and God willing no bail will be set in the future!! Praying for Kyron and all the babies in this world! IMO ONLY! Prayers to all.
I just feel for this baby and this baby's family. Leslie Ballin does not come cheap either by the way.

during this July 2009 arrest, wouldn't she have been visibly pregnant???

http://www.commercialappeal.com/new...his-woman-drug-related-death-inf/?partner=RSS

In July of 2009, Murphree was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of a controlled substance when officers stopped her vehicle near Highland and Walnut Grove in East Memphis, records show.

According to the affidavit in that case, a search found several DVDs that were determined to be stolen from an area Big Lots store earlier that day, a marijuana cigarette in the vehicle's center console and two syringes in Murphree's purse.

:waitasec:You have me sitting here counting, FHC. That would have made her three months pregnant at the time?:waitasec:

Hello all. I am from Memphis and when I saw this on the news, I literally alomost threw up. Just a couple things, LeBonheur Hospital is a wonderful hospital and Memphis is lucky to have it here. I do not understand why DHS was not contacted when the baby tested positive for Methadone. Not sure what happened there. Also, I have met this girl Angie before. It has been a couple years ago. I believe she may have a son also who is a lil bit older than the daughter who just passed. Nothing has been said about that so I very well could be wrong. Angie was on methadone at the Memphis Center for Research and Addiction Treatment. Whether or not she is still on it and was at that "clinic" I do not know. I maybe saw her 2 times a week for 15 min. She was a nice girl who appeared "normal" and seemed to be getting her stuff together. Appearances huh? As I didnt even know her last name until I saw the news. I will say that people do wait in line early for the "clinic". The fact that is was stated in the News Channel 3 article that she was asking t buy methadone for the baby is not suprising. All types at the Methadone Clinic from Lawyers to Painters to people who are trying to get their life together to people who just want another high. The attorney she hired is Leslie Ballin. He is the go to criminal attorney in Memphis. I do not have all the links but if you are interested in reading a;; the articles you can google the following Memphis news outlets:

www.commercialappeal.com ( I know this one)
Action News Five Memphis
WREG News Memphis
Fox 13 Memphis

I want to stress that I have not seen her in a long time and was just on a hello chit chat type thing.

She was arraigned and God willing no bail will be set in the future!! Praying for Kyron and all the babies in this world! IMO ONLY! Prayers to all.
I just feel for this baby and this baby's family. Leslie Ballin does not come cheap either by the way.

Special thanks, Spookytube for the local information.

Also thank you for reassuring us that not every person who is at the methadone clinic is not some waste of space and life. I hope you saw I did post that above. Also, I had wrote about the blatant drug dealing that goes on outside clinics because it does. That's how it goes. We had several news stations here in Philly go undercover outside clinics. People see that and are floored. Happens all the time.

Bless that little baby. How would she get the money to hire a high profile lawyer? No doubt her own family is beside themselves. Going from boosting DVD's to murdering your own child.

She was from Tunica County, MS. So I belive MS and TN DHS Dropped the ball big time on this one. The hospital must have contacted DHS in Shelby County (county Memphis is in). I am sure they had too. I wish the papers would release some more. It is so hard to take in. This cruelty of this word.

Special thanks, Spookytube for the local information.

Also thank you for reassuring us that not every person who is at the methadone clinic is not some waste of space and life. I hope you saw I did post that above. Also, I had wrote about the blatant drug dealing that goes on outside clinics because it does. That's how it goes. We had several news stations here in Philly go undercover outside clinics. People see that and are floored. Happens all the time.

Bless that little baby. How would she get the money to hire a high profile lawyer? No doubt her own family is beside themselves. Going from boosting DVD's to murdering your own child.

You are welcome!! Some people you would never ever know they were on methadone.
It stated on the news the attorney had been retained so I do not believe this is pro bono by any means. Check out the video on action new five memphis and they interview L. Ballin. He is not cheap by any means.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back