640 users online (77 members and 563 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by KPMcLovin View Post
    Just FYI, I started The Zahra Project and would lave to have some of your brilliant opinions there.
    I'm flattered that we have a thread named after us
    Hi KPMcLovin Great sentiment and purpose in this project. I wish you all the best with it.

I want to raise one concern however, and I feel this very, very strongly (I can't emphasise how strongly).

I have a real issue with the clause you are drafting that deals with spouses/etc that are witness to an event of child abuse and potentially face charges identical to those against the perpetrator of the abuse.

This proposal effectively threatens people who are already in an abusive relationship with their partner. If a person is abusing their partner and the children then we are dealing with generations of victims here. These adult victims can be powerless and under severe threat if they speak out, or act out, to protect their children. The cycle of abuse can make such victims of spousal abuse quite utterly paralysed, powerless and incapable of acting in the defense of their abused children no matter how upset they are by it. It is a pathetic situation.

I believe the solution to this problem is not to persecute these victims of abuse, it is to show compassion to them and assist them to become empowered so that they can remove their children from the abusive environment. This requires sanctity and support for the abuse victims (both parent and child).

I feel it's easy for people who have not experienced abuse to say "just walk away" and "if you can't then you're mutually responsible for the abuse to the children", but it's not necessarily that simple if a person is themselves a victim in this situation. Consider the mental damage of years of abuse by the person they "love" and how this would impact on their ability to act in defense of their children. This may be from more than just fear, it may also be tied in with religious beliefs regarding marriage.

We are talking about a complex range of issues here, and I really don't think punishing such victims for failing to intervene in the abuse of their children achieves much. I don't even like to contemplate the results of such a law being passed.

NC Analyzer is offline Verified Professional - Child Protective Services
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakes View Post
    Hi KPMcLovin Great sentiment and purpose in this project. I wish you all the best with it.

I want to raise one concern however, and I feel this very, very strongly (I can't emphasise how strongly).

I have a real issue with the clause you are drafting that deals with spouses/etc that are witness to an event of child abuse and potentially face charges identical to those against the perpetrator of the abuse.

This proposal effectively threatens people who are already in an abusive relationship with their partner. If a person is abusing their partner and the children then we are dealing with generations of victims here. These adult victims can be powerless and under severe threat if they speak out, or act out, to protect their children. The cycle of abuse can make such victims of spousal abuse quite utterly paralysed, powerless and incapable of acting in the defense of their abused children no matter how upset they are by it. It is a pathetic situation.

I believe the solution to this problem is not to persecute these victims of abuse, it is to show compassion to them and assist them to become empowered so that they can remove their children from the abusive environment. This requires sanctity and support for the abuse victims (both parent and child).

I feel it's easy for people who have not experienced abuse to say "just walk away" and "if you can't then you're mutually responsible for the abuse to the children", but it's not necessarily that simple if a person is themselves a victim in this situation. Consider the mental damage of years of abuse by the person they "love" and how this would impact on their ability to act in defense of their children. This may be from more than just fear, it may also be tied in with religious beliefs regarding marriage.

We are talking about a complex range of issues here, and I really don't think punishing such victims for failing to intervene in the abuse of their children achieves much. I don't even like to contemplate the results of such a law being passed.
    I absoutely agree with you, Flakes. I was a Domestic Violence Program Manager prior to my current position as an Investigator. The cycle of abuse and the dynamics of abused women (and men) are very difficult for many people to understand without the proper training. It would further victimize the victim to prosecute them for something they had no control over. Additionally, the current law already permits the State to prosecute witnesses/spouses/significant others who have seen a child being abused and did not act to protect the child. It would be completely futile to attempt to legislate a new law that is already a law. The decision to prosecute is made by the DA's office based on the facts of the case.
    Just My Opinion

They that are fated to be fools, have one consolation, that they are fated also to be ignorant of it. --NORMAN MACDONALD

There is some great videos of the Zahra Angel Wings ride the other day on the Zahra Project page. Big turn out, and I heard the sun came out just as they were to get started. Go figure, angels controlling the weather?

http://www.facebook.com/board.php?ui...hezahraproject

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6