Identified! WI - Baraboo, near Lake Delton, Male Infant, UP11611, in duffel bag w/logo, afghan, Jun'08 - NamUs removed

snarkymalarkey

Reaction score
FRIDAY, June 6, 2008, 4:43 p.m.
By Nick Halter</B>

Bones of child found in bag in Sauk Co.

A duffle bag full of bones believed to be those of a young child has been found in Delton.

The Sauk County Sheriff's Office said in a news release the date and cause of death are still unknown. The department does not have missing persons reported that match that description.

The bag was found Thursday afternoon by a woman on Bunker Road, west of the County Highway A. The bones have been sent to Madison for further examination.

The Sauk County Sheriff's Office asks anyone with information on the bag to call 608-356-4895 or 1-800-377-1195.

I wonder how long they had been there. Obviously a while if it was bones. Poor kid.

Did you see the comment made at the end? "Its disturbing if you let it disturb you". ??? WTH does that mean? How cold some people are.

Did you see the comment made at the end? "Its disturbing if you let it disturb you". ??? WTH does that mean? How cold some people are.

That is creepy. As if it wasn't already bad enough that it is a helpless infant some idiot had to add that kind of weird comment to the news page about the poor kid!

Some people have severe foot in mouth syndrome and they need to fix it before someone else does lol. Why would they say that?? Idiots

I can hardly read stuff about kids anymore, since I had my daughter. I seriously ache for those poor children :(... I REALLY hope they catch this person! Please keep us updated

Not sure if this is here ths should go so please feel free to move if it isn't. It's a crime to since this poor child was just thown away like garbage in the ditch.

MADISON, Wis. -- Authorities said that a duffle bag found by a woman collecting cans along a Sauk County roadway contained what are believed to be the bones of a baby less than a year old.

More at link:
http://www.channel3000.com/news/16526893/detail.html

BARABOO, Wis. – In Sauk County Wisconsin, a woman picking up trash along the side of a road found a duffel bag containing what is believed to be an infant skeleton.

The bones of the small child are now being examined in Madison for testing and to determine the identity.

"At this time the cause and manor of the death are unknown and the length of time the bones have been at this location is also unknown,” said Sauk County Chief Deputy Chip Meister. “Sauk County does not have any missing persons matching this description."
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfo...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

What the he!! is wrong with people !

Well I dont want my kid so put it in a bag and throw it out along the road! Hello ding dong . People are crazy!!!!!!!!!

Its a baby. Who would report it missing if the parents are culpable? And there would probably be no record, except for the birth.

Very sad,

Salem

There may not even be that. The mother may have had the baby quietly at home, perhaps not even told anyone she was pregnant. If that were true probably only a death bed confession would solve the case. Were the bones those of a newborn or a slightly older baby? This is so tragic and so unnecessary. Why could she not have dropped him off in a hospital waiting room and walked away? :furious: There are so many people who would have loved him/her. Not only does this little one not have a name he/she doesn't even have their gender known.

Hey this is my first post on this site:woohoo:
so sorry if I messed up on posting something up :p
ok so have there been any breaks on this case of the skeletal remains of an infant found inside a dufflebag on June 5, 2008 in Delton, Sauk County, Wisconsin

[from http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1761umwi.html ]
Vital Statistics

* Estimated Age: Infant.
* Approximate Height and Weight: Unknown.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Unknown hair and eye color. Unknown race and gender.
* Clothing: None. Located with the remains were a blue, sports style duffle bag with
the markings of "InGear Expedition International.EXP" on the front and a logo on the side.
It has several pockets. It is approximately 2ft x 1ft x 1ft in size. Also located inside of
the duffle bag was a multi-colored afghan that appears to be hand made. It has three main
colors to it; White, Blue, and Lavender. It is approximately 6ft x 4ft in size.
* Dentals: Not available.
* DNA: Available at UNT.
* Fingerprints: Not available.

Case History
On June 05, 2008 a blue duffle bag and multi-colored afghan were found by a woman along the roadside of Bunker Road in a rural area in northern Sauk
County near the Wisconsin Dells area. The duffle bag was found to contain bones that were identified as human remains.
The remains are believed to be from an infant that would have been at the age of birth, give or take a few weeks. At this
time the sex, race, and viability of the child have not been determined by the remains.

Investigators have no reports of missing infants in the area.

Welcome to WS cinnamonroll30.

I'm not sure if there are any recent developments in this case.
You might want to check the various missing persons sites such as doenetwork, namus, or charley project as well as NCMEC for missing infants.

It's also possible this newborn was never reported missing and those not reported missing are so much more difficult to id.

Thank you for your interest in this case and again, welcome to Websleuths!

Welcome to Websleuths, Cinnamonroll30!

We have a January 2009 article archived on Porchlight about this baby Doe, but little more was known about him or her at the time. I'm glad LE is processing a DNA sample, because if I understand CODIS correctly, it could lead to an identification if his or her mother is ever arrested for a serious crime and has to provide a DNA sample. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Sadly, the lack of any baby clothes found with this child suggests he or she may have been born to a mother who hid the pregnancy from her family and might have even been in denial she was pregnant. The afghan sounds more like an adult-size lap blanket than something one would knit for a baby...but it's great that DN has a photo of the afghan on their site, because someone certainly spent a lot of time making it and would probably remember it.

I always wonder about these cases where newborns are abandoned (almost always with some type of towel or blanket and in a gym bag of some sort) and whether the mothers go on to have a successful marriage and other children they cherish, but they always think back to that baby that only they knew about...it is heartbreaking, but at least some of these cases are solvable. Here's an article about a 2007 Ontario Baby Doe whose mother was found through DNA results: http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2875859

Porchlight thread for Sauk Co. Baby Doe:
http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=37380

I'm glad LE is processing a DNA sample, because if I understand CODIS correctly, it could lead to an identification if his or her mother is ever arrested for a serious crime and has to provide a DNA sample. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

It would lead to an ID not just if the mother is arrested (and has to provide a DNA sample), but also if the mother has other offspring (male or female), brothers or sisters, or aunts or uncles on her mother's side of the family.

In fact, anyone connected to the mother in her family tree by a continuous chain of female relatives would trigger a CODIS hit (e.g., If the mother's-mother's-mother had a sister, who had a daughter, and that daughter had a child (male or female) who was arrested and had to provide a DNA sample, it would trigger a CODIS hit!!) :crazy:

Are you confused yet? :confused: :) You will be tested on this next Wednesday!!! :)

Unfortunately, in terms of the location of where the baby was found, Wisconsin Dells is a huge outdoor water park/tourist attraction that brings in people from all over the world. While most of the events and traffic are there in the warm months; they have for many years held snomobile races, ice sculpure competitions, and other events throughout the winter.

It is also a good place, because of the number of tourists, for drug trafficking activity...it was not uncommon to be able to score whatever substance you wanted in "The Dells" when there on vacation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back