1431 users online (312 members and 1119 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Exclamation Bees hold deadly rumble in man's house!!!

Link

Millions of bees dead after invading home

CUTLER BAY, Fla. (WSVN) -- Two battling colonies made up of millions of bees have died after invading a South Florida home.

The bees were found inside the Hernandez home, at 9394 SW 212th Terrace, Tuesday morning. According to the homeowner, Miguel Hernandez, he woke up and found his home surrounded by bees. Speaking in Spanish, Hernandez said, "I went out of my front door, and the entry was full of bees, so I called 911. The fire department told me to lock myself in the bathroom. They got here, and they were not able to enter because of all the bees flying around."

"I'll Bee There" Pest Removal arrived on the scene to get rid of the bees. According to Beekeeper Adrian Valero, there were two warring bee colonies inside the home. "Probably like two million bees over here, flying around," Valero said. "You have two main beehives that they got to the same place at the same time, and they're fighting each other, so that makes them aggressive against each other, so they tried to kill each other."...
    Last edited by Steely Dan; 12-06-2010 at 04:41 AM. Reason: add link

Nice of the colonies to kill each other so the exerminator wasn't needed!

Ummm, I'd be more than willing to pay someone to clean up that mess. Just sayin.

Aren't bee numbers down drastically everywhere? I wonder if this "war" is related to whatever is killing them off.

That's a good point, Nova....

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Aren't bee numbers down drastically everywhere? I wonder if this "war" is related to whatever is killing them off.
    That's a possibility but this is two hives that got too close to one another and had a rumble. I don't think it happens that often.

One theory I heard for the drop in bee populations is that some pesticides use nicotine and that there seems to be some sort of correlation between the two.

Bee keeping is not natural anymore... they move them all over the country, all year long. No wonder there was a territorial clash. Sad, really. imo

It's funny to see this thread today... yesterday, a bee hitchhiked on my car from work to home. He attached himself to the rubber around my side window and hung there all the way - He didn't let go until after I had parked in my garage.

I tried to google what would happen to him and I couldn't find much. I do know that bees don't stray far from their hive (the articles I found say they only go about 5 miles from their hive), so I wonder what happens when a bee gets over 20 miles away from his home? Does he die of loneliness? Find another hive?

Anybody know? (poor bee...)

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRose99 View Post
    It's funny to see this thread today... yesterday, a bee hitchhiked on my car from work to home. He attached himself to the rubber around my side window and hung there all the way - He didn't let go until after I had parked in my garage.

I tried to google what would happen to him and I couldn't find much. I do know that bees don't stray far from their hive (the articles I found say they only go about 5 miles from their hive), so I wonder what happens when a bee gets over 20 miles away from his home? Does he die of loneliness? Find another hive?

Anybody know? (poor bee...)
    I seriously doubt bees can be adopted by another hive, as the "battle" we're discussing demonstrates. Most insects seem to know their own colonies by scent (they're all related) and fight others.

So "killed by other bees" may be the best answer to your question, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    That's a possibility but this is two hives that got too close to one another and had a rumble. I don't think it happens that often.

One theory I heard for the drop in bee populations is that some pesticides use nicotine and that there seems to be some sort of correlation between the two.
    Oh, Lord, I quit already! It's time to stop blaming EVERYTHING on smokers.

I've also heard speculation that shifts in the earth's magnetic poles is messing up their senses of direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I seriously doubt bees can be adopted by another hive, as the "battle" we're discussing demonstrates. Most insects seem to know their own colonies by scent (they're all related) and fight others.

So "killed by other bees" may be the best answer to your question, but I could be wrong.
    Poor bee... I tried to get him to let go, but he clung for all he was worth...

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

OT: I'm pretty sure that reporter was at a station here in Utah for years.