Woman Turns Husband's Remains into Diamond

Newswolf

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.local6.com/news/3693644/detail.html

A Minnesota woman has honored her late husband by turning his cremated remains into a yellow diamond so she could always keep a part of him with her.
Nancy Wodziak wanted to honor her husband Richard in a special way after he died from a brain tumor last October. So, she became the first person in the state to turn a loved one's remains into a diamond.
Wodziak received her brilliant,half-carat yellow diamond after eight months of waiting.
"This certainly seems like a neat idea as far as diamonds are forever," Bradshaw Funeral and Cremation Services spokesman Justin Bradshaw said. "Some people feel it's a neat thing and that they're glad that I told them and other people I think feel that this is not for them."
"I think that's creepy," a woman said in the report.
To create the ring, the cremated remains are heated to extreme temperatures, and then the carbon is subjected to a tremendous amount of pressure. The result is a stone identical to diamonds that develop deep within the earth over millions of years
The nitrogen in the air causes the diamonds to be yellow in color. The company says yellow diamonds also occur naturally but are very rare.
The cost for a quarter carat is about $2,500 and goes up to $13,000 for a full carat. The diamonds can be made into any size.
Life Gem offers the services and some funeral homes assist loved ones in making the arrangements.
The company also makes diamonds from the cremated remains of pets.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not for me.

Wow... this is so.. I don't even have the word for it.

Freaky I guess, comes close.

not for me either..:hand:

Odd, but kinda neat. Definitely an original idea.

I love that idea. I've never understood why anyone would want to stick their loved ones in a hole in the ground. We've always been a family who cremated those who passed away in our family. My 11 year old heard that you can be cremated and added to fireworks, so that's what he wants to do. I'm all for someone turning me into a diamond after I go!!!

hi news! sure beats 'watch-me rot'! i think its a great idea to remember some one you love.

Jeana (DP) said:
I'm all for someone turning me into a diamond after I go!!!
So right now you are a diamond in the rough? :p

Jeana (DP) said:
My 11 year old heard that you can be cremated and added to fireworks, so that's what he wants to do.

With my luck I'd get a dud... how disapointing would that be? The whole family gathered round to see this spectaculiar last hoorah and pfffsst.... nothing. At least a diamond doesn't have to do anything except lay there and look pretty, which sounds pretty good after a lifetime of all that life entails. LOL :D

My neighbours mother died... they cremated her and took her up to a lake she loved in northern ontario to spread her ashes on the water.... very poignant moment untill the minnows and sunfish started coming up and eating her :eek:

It's interesting to read the reactions.

I tried applying this concept - in my mind - to my beloved dog who died three years ago and I still can't talk about it without crying . He's resting outside the window where he loved to look out. I visit him every day. It pains me to know he's down there, but I still can't imagine converting him to a bauble.

No disrepect intended to those who think this is a good plan.

Newswolf..no disrespect intended by levity...i was thinking in terms of ex-husbands!

deputylinda said:
Newswolf..no disrespect intended by levity...i was thinking in terms of ex-husbands!

he might as well be good for something............

I've told my family that I want to donate every organ that still may be viable when I die and then they can cremate me and spread the ashes anywhere they want. If someone wants to turn me into a firework or a diamond or fish food, what the hey! I don't want anyone coming to a depressing cemetary and having to remember take flowers there or clip the grass or pull weeds. Once my body dies, that's not me any more, so why take up the space. Hopefully, my spirit will go on to a better place!

Jeana (DP) said:
I've told my family that I want to donate every organ that still may be viable when I die and then they can cremate me and spread the ashes anywhere they want. If someone wants to turn me into a firework or a diamond or fish food, what the hey! I don't want anyone coming to a depressing cemetary and having to remember take flowers there or clip the grass or pull weeds. Once my body dies, that's not me any more, so why take up the space. Hopefully, my spirit will go on to a better place!

Don't think I'm a freak or something but... I love cemetaries! They may be sad when you're there laying someone to rest but at other times they are neither sad or scary. I've always enjoyed strolling through reading the names and epitaphs. Some of the artwork is just spectaculiar. And if your interested in history or geneaology like I am you'll realize just how important graves are. You can read all you want about your ancestors or historical figures. but there just is nothing like it when you stand at the grave of those same people and realize that they are really there.

Jack said:
Don't think I'm a freak or something but... I love cemetaries! They may be sad when you're there laying someone to rest but at other times they are neither sad or scary. I've always enjoyed strolling through reading the names and epitaphs. Some of the artwork is just spectaculiar. And if your interested in history or geneaology like I am you'll realize just how important graves are. You can read all you want about your ancestors or historical figures. but there just is nothing like it when you stand at the grave of those same people and realize that they are really there.
I like cemetaries, too. We don't have to "pull weeds" and stuff because the cemetary employs staff that does all of that. I like reading and looking at the monuments. I really like those with a picture, but don't see many of those.. except mostly children. Children's monuments are usually very pretty.

http://www.politicalgraveyard.com/

My Dad is listed here.

Jack said:

Used to be they tried to say something about the person who was interred. Some comment about their life or loves. Now it is usually just the name and dates.

Jack, I don't think its creepy at all. When I was younger, we'd go to the really old cemetaries and do headstone rubbings. They're really pretty cool.

Casshew said:
My neighbours mother died... they cremated her and took her up to a lake she loved in northern ontario to spread her ashes on the water.... very poignant moment untill the minnows and sunfish started coming up and eating her :eek:

This made me laugh, although it's kinda sad, but love your quick wit, along with the :eek: face...my fav.

Sassy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back