"Video Girl Barbie" seen as child *advertiser censored* danger by FBI

Missizzy

Reaction score
You must realize that I live an isolated life. I haven't been to a store in years. I don't have a TV. I haven't read a real ink and paper newspaper in ages. So, it was a real eye opener to be gifted with newspapers while I was on hiatus. It's been so long since I was a direct consumer that I was a little wide eyed. My, how things have changed.

I had to check out the toy ads to see what was new. Our family has always been big on board games, Lego and Playmobil and oh, how we should have bought stock in Hot Wheels. Anyway, there I was perusing the toy ads, when my heart almost stopped. A Barbie doll with a miniscule video cam in her tummy.

I'm not the mother of 14 for nothin'. I know how toys are played with. All sorts of unseemly scenarios played out for me. I just knew that some little 6 year old girl would get one for Christmas and be delighted. However, I also knew that her older brother and his friends would find that doll in a heartbeat and do what little boys always do--get creative. It would be relatively harmless but Mom and Dad would not be pleased. No, they do not want to see the 11 year old brother's best friend's bare bottom or the peeing contest out in the snow. They really are NOT charmed with the clandestine video of the 6 year old and her best friend in the bath together. Those were my thoughts. Parents, just say no.

Then I came upon this:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/12/06/Video-Girl-Barbie-draws-FBIs-eye/UPI-55071291686800/

'Video Girl' Barbie draws FBI's eye

"Mattel's Video Girl Barbie innocently got caught up in the FBI's efforts to nail pedophiles, the toymaker and the G-men say.

It all started Nov. 30 when the FBI field office in Sacramento issued a "Cyber Crime Alert," meant only for the eyes of other law enforcement agencies, noting the 11 1/2-inch-tall doll contains a video camera that can tape up to 30 minutes of action and could be "a possible child *advertiser censored* production method...."

more at link

Thank God the FBI saw the danger. But what's Mattel going to do about it? I'm sure the TV ads are already running and little girls are already pleading for one. What a mess.

This is exactly the sort of thing that I can imagine Earl Bradley in Lewes ordering a whole case of. Right up his alley. Yikes!!

I remember when TechCrunch blogged about this doll this past summer.

Mattel has pretty much blown it off - at least what I heard on HLN the other day...Mattel supposedly is saying they've had no reports of the doll being used this way & they are concerned about 'safety' but it's not a risk.

hmmmmm - they're a big corporation so IMO they're concerned about making $$.

Mattel issued a statement defending the doll, the company said: 'Mattel products are designed with children and their best interests in mind.
'Many of Mattel's employees are parents themselves and we understand the importance of child safety. It is our number one priority.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/849675-...ver-barbie-with-built-in-camera#ixzz17RuaUJOH

I was at Walmart the other day in the toy aisle passing time to pick up my mom and this little girl was just all about this Barbie, pleading with her mother to get it for xmas .

I thought it was an odd toy, and why in the world do children need a videocam in a barbie doll for ? I mean really ?

I can certainly see the concern with the FBI............

If you ask me, it's just downright spooky--even without considering the nasty possibilities.

Considering that anyone can be a pedo, I don't think it's a stretch for a toy designer to be one....it is spooky how the pedos can ingratiate themselves into unsuspecting lives.

Seriously, my almost 7 yr old DD is smarter than the makers of this product.
After seeing this thread I told her that if she ever saw an ad for this barbie to know in advance that she would not be getting it. I started to explain why, but she already knew!

She said "I know. I know. Because bad people, even grandpas or other yucky men can watch you and see what you're doing whenever you play with it".

Tell that young lady for me, "You go, Girl!!" You must be a proud Mom. She'll be a WSer in the future, just wait and see.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back