AL - Hayley Wingard, 17, shot to death, Wetumpka, 2 Dec 2010

It seems they were in negotiations for "several hours"...but was that enough? I thought it was standard not to storm the building when there are weapons and live hostages inside - at least not that soon.

In any case, I'm sure they had some tactical reason to do it, and it's a sad story all around.

OK, wait a minute. So the only way they tried to contact the two inside was with...cell phones. And couldn't get them to answer? Imagine that! :doh:

What happened to good old fashioned bullhorns? What about attempting to negotiate from the relative safety of the opposite end of the hallway? What am I missing here? Some cell phone calls for a few hours and then storm in with guns blazing?? What kind of "protocol" is that??

OK, wait a minute. So the only way they tried to contact the two inside was with...cell phones. And couldn't get them to answer? Imagine that! :doh:

What happened to good old fashioned bullhorns? What about attempting to negotiate from the relative safety of the opposite end of the hallway? What am I missing here? Some cell phone calls for a few hours and then storm in with guns blazing?? What kind of "protocol" is that??

I fail to see why bullhorns or anything else would have made the difference.
It does not appear the suspect was willing to negotiate if the situation is as described.

The throw phone that they referenced is kind of a loud speaker/microphone on a long cord that is thrown into the room. It is very sensitive and can even pick up whispers inside the house. He was talking to them for a while and then quit. 45 minutes is a long time of silence and anything could have happened in that time. Based on the information presented in the one article that I could open, if I was in that position I would have ordered the breach also. This guy was going to kill her from the start and he was using the police as an attempt to commit suicide. JMHO

I think the only thing that could have worked if they got a sniper to shoot him but if he was inside and not near any windows that would not work either.

In that Montgomery Advisor link, they said their Spec Ops unit has had 207 deployments and all have had peaceful resolutions. I can only assume there will be a lawsuit by her parents but it seems like the police were very careful and followed their normal MO.

What the heck is a 25 year old dating a 17 year old? That's a very large age difference for a teenager. That poor girl must have been terrified.

In that Montgomery Advisor link, they said their Spec Ops unit has had 207 deployments and all have had peaceful resolutions. I can only assume there will be a lawsuit by her parents but it seems like the police were very careful and followed their normal MO.

What the heck is a 25 year old dating a 17 year old? That's a very large age difference for a teenager. That poor girl must have been terrified.

I am not a lawyer, but what would be any possible lawsuit based on?
If the police accidentally shot her while trying to rescue her, that would be one thing, but so far the story is that allegedly the suspect shot and killed her.
I don't think police are held responsible if they can't successfully rescue someone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back