UT UT - Moab, Three Gossips area of Arches Nat Park, WhtMale 18-25, UP8196, Camel cigs, clothes, Feb'83

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a newly posted 1983 UID case that just appeared in NamUs. I can't find a DoeNet casefile for this UID.

NamUs UP Case 8196 https://identifyus.org/cases/8196

* 18 to 25 Year Old White Male (Dental age is 20, give or take 2 years)
* Found in on February 12, 1983 Arches National Park, Moab UT.
* Height: 5'7"
* Measured Weight (of Decomposing Remains) 142
* Body Condition: Not recognizable - Partial remains with soft tissues (Note that fingerprints were taken, so the body was only partially decomposed).
* Hair: light brown and slightly curled, blond eyelashes and eyebrows. beard (stubble) blond in color
* Dentals: All teeth present (including all four wisdom teeth). Wisdom teeth impacted. Fillings in six teeth (2, 12, 14, 18, 20, and 30)​

Clothing and Possessions
* Blue jeans, White socks, White baseball cap, Light blue/lavender colored shirt (Van Hussen), Partial pack of Camel brand cigarettes​

There is very little info available on the UID, or this MP, but based on the description of curly light brown hair, I was thinking this might be Bryan Dale Ambrose

ambrose_bryan.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/ambrose_bryan.html

The UID was found about 5 months after Bryan's DLC. This was primarily during the wintertime, and the cold, dry weather that exists during that time in the high Eastern Utah desert may have preserved the remains.

His Charley description mentions the major cities along the North/South Highway I-25 (i.e., Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo), and Moab would be West of Denver which would be accessed from Denver via I-70.

There is no mention, however, of gapped teeth in the dental notes. But I wouldn't rule him out based on that.

There is very little info available on the UID, or this MP, but based on the description of curly light brown hair, I was thinking this might be Bryan Dale Ambrose

ambrose_bryan.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/ambrose_bryan.html

The UID was found about 5 months after Bryan's DLC. This was primarily during the wintertime, and the cold, dry weather that exists during that time in the high Eastern Utah desert may have preserved the remains.

His Charley description mentions the major cities along the North/South Highway I-25 (i.e., Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo), and Moab would be West of Denver which would be accessed from Denver via I-70.

There is no mention, however, of gapped teeth in the dental notes. But I wouldn't rule him out based on that.

NamUs just added a casefile for Bryan Ambrose:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17876/0

I didn't know his height before, but now that I do know, it is another data point that is consistent to this John Doe.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what happens next? Do you submit his name somewhere to see if there's a DNA match? TIA

There are several options with these UID cases. We could contact the agency in charge of the missing person case, or the agency in charge of the UID case. Or we could contact the NamUs case manager on either the MP or UID side.

I did bring this possible match up several months ago with a Colorado Springs detective, but I don't know if he ever followed-up on it. I could probably call him again to see if he ever was able to rule Bryan Ambrose out with respect to this UID.

There are several options with these UID cases. We could contact the agency in charge of the missing person case, or the agency in charge of the UID case. Or we could contact the NamUs case manager on either the MP or UID side.

I did bring this possible match up several months ago with a Colorado Springs detective, but I don't know if he ever followed-up on it. I could probably call him again to see if he ever was able to rule Bryan Ambrose out with respect to this UID.

Thank you for explaining. I've lurked for quite a while on the Unidentified and Unclaimed forums and have often wondered about the process. You do a lot of great, important work, CarlK.

HI Carl,

Bryan Dale Ambrose is my brother...he is now in NAMUS...because of you. I often google his name and saw your post questioning if the UID could be him... I followed the link and it does match his description... I contacted Namus and the detective in charge to see if they had considered Bryan...but he wasn't in their Database (I don't know why). I entered him and they are now doing DNa and dental checks to see if that is my brother. Fingers crossed it is...we know he is dead, but for 30 years have hoped to find his body. You can't imagine how happy I will be if it is him so that my mother can have some closure. Sad that the body was found 6 months after he dissapeared but no one made the connection...if it is him. Thanks for your post :)

Thanks for joining and commenting on Bryan's disappearance.

Several months ago, I was speaking with a Colorado Springs PD detective, who is a very enthusiastic proponent of NamUs, and I asked him why Rocio Sperry ( http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/sperry_rocio.html ) and Bryan weren't in NamUs. He responded that they were under the jurisdiction of El Paso County, not the City of Colorado Springs. But he indicated that he would contact them and urge them to put their cases in NamUs.

Regarding Rocio, LE is pretty sure that she her body is buried deep in a landfill, so I guess they have no urgency to compare her to UID's elsewhere.

I left a message this morning with Audrey Simpkins (the NamUs case manager for Bryan's case).

I was surprised to find out Bryan wasn't in Namus, I was a kid when he was killed, so I assumed all of this was done... and he just hadn't been found. I believe the radius that they were searching/expecting to find was was closer than this one..but seems to me that we shouldn't rule anything out. After I entered Bryan in Namus, the Det...added more info and updated some things. I hope the ball is rolling in the right direction. Thanks again for you post, You don't know what this would mean to my family if this is my brother... I am now just waiting on pins and needles to find out.

I was surprised to find out Bryan wasn't in Namus, I was a kid when he was killed, so I assumed all of this was done... and he just hadn't been found. I believe the radius that they were searching/expecting to find was was closer than this one..but seems to me that we shouldn't rule anything out. After I entered Bryan in Namus, the Det...added more info and updated some things. I hope the ball is rolling in the right direction. Thanks again for you post, You don't know what this would mean to my family if this is my brother... I am now just waiting on pins and needles to find out.

Sending lots of positive (((vibes))) for you and your family to finally know peace and closure.

Welcome Bryans'sis! I am so happy CarlK, our resident rock star, was able to help reinvigorate momentum for finding Bryan.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you...and know that you have a whole forum of people who support you!

Just an update... the detective contacted me and let me know he is looking into NamUs UP Case 8196 .... I have requested that they pull new DNA from our mother to use as primary (we'll see). I have also been in contact with the regional MGR for NAMUS and he is working closely with the detective to verify if this is Bryan or not... I asked how long it will take and at this point there is no time line because it depends on how quickly they can get to it...since it isn't current it isn't as urgent as some things that are coming in ( I get it and understand, but I am not a very patient person). I will post updates as I get them, but appears it will take time.

Thanks to everyone who has shown any interest and provided prayers and positive thoughts for my family. :)

Bryans'sis

They have finally pulled the DNA from my mother (a week or so ago), and haven't heard anything yet...but they indicated it would take some time. Another holiday will come and go without knowing, but we are on the right path.

The detective did tell my mother he doesn't believe this is Bryan, I guess we will know when the DNA is complete and verified, hoping he is wrong.

It has been a long 9 months, but we were just notified thru Namus...that the DNA sample testing has been completed for Bryan.... Next step is to look for any matches that may already be within their database. I can't believe what a long disconnected process this is. September will be 31 years since Bryan went missing and we are still waiting for answers. My fear is that if there isn't a match to an existing unidentited person...we may never find my brothers remains...due to the extent of the fires in and around the Colorado Springs area. As sad as it is... I am hoping and praying that we are notified soon that Bryan's remains have been found and were just waiting for a match.

How about Roger Ellison for this Doe? It really only works if we assume that Roger was alive for a year or more after his 1981 disappearance, but it still seems possible. There is some height discrepancy (Doe 5'7", Roger 5'11"). Roger's dentals are said to be on file but I didn't see them actually listed. It would be helpful to have that info.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back