The ransom note & Patsy Ramsey, letter by letter.

Did Patsy write the ransom note?

• Yes, Patsy wrote the note

Votes: 289 91.2%
  • No, Patsy did not write the note

Votes: 28 8.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cynic

Reaction score
Privately, however, Ubowski, who had made the early discovery that Patsy’s handwriting was consistent with the ransom note on twenty-four of the twenty-six alphabet letters, had recently told one detective, “I believe she wrote it.”
JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation, Steve Thomas, page 174

It was the variation in PR’s writing that fooled some people:
We had noticed earlier that in prehomicide writings, Patsy consistently used the manuscript “a,” but posthomicide, it disappeared from her samples of writing. This was a major find, for it looked as if she was consciously changing her lettering. She had more handwriting styles than a class of sixth graders and was seemingly able to change as easily as turning on and off different computer fonts.
I thought about how big a mistake it had been to provide the defense lawyers with a copy of the note. A suspect could study it prior to giving writing samples and consciously avoid certain characteristics, such as the style of writing the first letter of the alphabet.
JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation, Steve Thomas, pages 173-174

We were called upon to examine the ransom note that was left at the crime scene. The other handwriting expert was in Maryland. Both of us were kept separate so our opinions would be independent. In my opinion, I found that it was highly probable that Patsy was the person who wrote the note. I found over 243 similarities between her handwriting and the ransom note. The other handwriting expert said that he was 100 positive that Patsy wrote the note.
- Cina Wong
http://www.cinawongforgeryexpert.com...debusiness.asp

Q. What is your degree of certainty yourself as you sit here today that Patsy Ramsey wrote the note?
A. I am absolutely certain that she wrote the note.
Q. Is that 60 percent certain?
A. No, that's 100 percent certain.
Deposition of Gideon Epstein
May 17, 2002

Cina Wong speaks about the Ramsey case in this radio interview:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg85wR8Uy5Q"]Cina Wong - YouTube[/ame]

Privately, however, Ubowski, who had made the early discovery that Patsy’s handwriting was consistent with the ransom note on twenty-four of the twenty-six alphabet letters, had recently told one detective, “I believe she wrote it.”
JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation, Steve Thomas, page 174

It was the variation in PR’s writing that fooled some people:
We had noticed earlier that in prehomicide writings, Patsy consistently used the manuscript “a,” but posthomicide, it disappeared from her samples of writing. This was a major find, for it looked as if she was consciously changing her lettering. She had more handwriting styles than a class of sixth graders and was seemingly able to change as easily as turning on and off different computer fonts.
I thought about how big a mistake it had been to provide the defense lawyers with a copy of the note. A suspect could study it prior to giving writing samples and consciously avoid certain characteristics, such as the style of writing the first letter of the alphabet.
JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation, Steve Thomas, pages 173-174

We were called upon to examine the ransom note that was left at the crime scene. The other handwriting expert was in Maryland. Both of us were kept separate so our opinions would be independent. In my opinion, I found that it was highly probable that Patsy was the person who wrote the note. I found over 243 similarities between her handwriting and the ransom note. The other handwriting expert said that he was 100 positive that Patsy wrote the note.
- Cina Wong
http://www.cinawongforgeryexpert.com...debusiness.asp

Q. What is your degree of certainty yourself as you sit here today that Patsy Ramsey wrote the note?
A. I am absolutely certain that she wrote the note.
Q. Is that 60 percent certain?
A. No, that's 100 percent certain.
Deposition of Gideon Epstein
May 17, 2002

Cina Wong speaks about the Ramsey case in this radio interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg85wR8Uy5Q

Heck yeah, she wrote the RN. The letters are all written the same, Patsy and the rn "author" make their q's look like 8's...and if you look closely (Enlarge it and you can REALLY see)...they both put little "hooks" at the end of their letters that have a tail....for example Y.

I´ve a question
I do not know who wrote the RN ,either whether PR is a smart woman or not...
why did she write such a long RN and the amount 118.000?

John's bonus that year, was 118,000.....and some change. My guess is it was the first amount that popped into head...and they were trying to make it look like "an inside job". Which is exactly what JR called it. The RN was so long, because she was rambling. She was trying so hard to point the finger AWAY from her and her husband, that she just kept going on and on....adding more and more to the RN...with each thing added, she pointed the finger more and more away from her and JR. So she thought....

Instead it made no sense a all. It also contained words Patsy used on a routine basis. Words her family (Mom, Dad) used.

Regardless of who killed JonBenet. I firmly believe that Patsy wrote the note, nothing will ever change my mind on that. The writing is identical.

well, I guess while she was writting the long RN, JR was downstairs doing the other job,setting the stage...but as she did show him the RN, he´d have said:
oh no,its way too long,we need to write a short one or kinda?
He´s smarter,wasn´t he a navy and busyness guy?

No doubt in my mind that Patsy wrote the note.

well, I guess while she was writting the long RN, JR was downstairs doing the other job,setting the stage...but as she did show him the RN, he´d have said:

I believe you are right on this, Dirk. If Patsy had shown that note to John before she called 911, he would have had a stroke. He knew exactly what everyone would think, but by this time, she was already on the phone. No time for a new note. I believe she stopped talking about the same time he realized how ridiculous the note was. She had to hang up on the operator then, for fear of making things worse.

Write another shorter note? There wasn't time for that....they had staging that needed to be finished up. I am quite sure that he probably even helped her with the note...this is where I believe the "Listen Carefully" came from....he most likely was dictating to her what to write...Listen Carefully ...imo...wasn't meant to be written, it was instructions for HER. How do you listen carefully to something that you are reading?? Shouldn't it be..."read this carefully??" If the "intruder" had of phoned in his RN...he then would have used the words..."LISTEN carefully". Anyway...I believe that John intended for the note to be short...but Patsy couldn't leave it alone....continuing to add to it, while he was working on some of the staging. He probably blew a gasket, when he saw that she had added more, and turned it into an almost three page ransom LETTER, instead of a ransom note.

well, I guess while she was writting the long RN, JR was downstairs doing the other job,setting the stage

Some of it at least. But yes, that's how I picture it.

...but as she did show him the RN, he´d have said:

Excellent questions, Dirk.

Well, I happen to think that the others are right: there wasn't time. But assuming there was, it still might have been the smart thing. I outlined this idea in the thread "No Honor Among Thieves." Have a look if you'd like.

Write another shorter note? There wasn't time for that....they had staging that needed to be finished up. I am quite sure that he probably even helped her with the note...this is where I believe the "Listen Carefully" came from....he most likely was dictating to her what to write...Listen Carefully ...imo...wasn't meant to be written, it was instructions for HER. How do you listen carefully to something that you are reading?? Shouldn't it be..."read this carefully??" If the "intruder" had of phoned in his RN...he then would have used the words..."LISTEN carefully". Anyway...I believe that John intended for the note to be short...but Patsy couldn't leave it alone....continuing to add to it, while he was working on some of the staging. He probably blew a gasket, when he saw that she had added more, and turned it into an almost three page ransom LETTER, instead of a ransom note.

ames,your great!
I was wondering if they had some internal phones or intercomunnicators, maybe he was talking to her on the phone from downstairs, thats why "listen carefully" ? anyone knows ? it is possible because the house is too big
Sorry, I´m writing like a child,I´ve learned english long time ago :-(

ames,your great!
I was wondering if they had some internal phones or intercomunnicators, maybe he was talking to her on the phone from downstairs, thats why "listen carefully" ? anyone knows ? it is possible because the house is too big

THANK YOU!!!

That's possible. But, I imagine him hovering over her...and the scenario going kind of like this...
John and Patsy probably argued over who would write it. They finally agreed that she would, and he would dictate to her what to write. She is sitting at the table with the sharpie and the pad. John says..."Okay, start with Mr. Ramsey, and now listen carefully"...and then precedes to dictate the note. Listen carefully...in my opinion...means...Listen closely and do not screw this up. Write down everything that I tell you to. Even a Small Foreign Faction would know that you cannot LISTEN to something that is written down in a note or letter...you read it, not listen to it. I have always believed that the "listen carefully" was meant for Patsy to listen carefully...to John's dictation. NOT for the Ramsey's to listen carefully to the ransom note. Which is just stupid.

Edited to add...you do not write like a child. Your english is very good!

Letter by letter, the Ramseys' 1996 Christmas letter, can be jumbled and reconstituted into the SFF rn, quite nicely.

A cut and paste word jumble, would account for the odd terminology and sentence strusture within the rn.

The pratice 'titles', pages left within PR's pad, suggests, or was meant to suggest, that the pad contained PR's rough draft of her 1996 Christmas letter.

ames,your great!

Mrs Schiller, your English is just fine. Not sure how many of you saw this, but Mrs. Schiller is Dirks Mom and he has been missing since childhood. The picture of himis age enhanced. She is Dirks Mom. Hope you don't mind me butting in here Mrs. Schiller.

I just read up what I could find on Mrs. Schiller's son Dirk.

Firstly let me say I applaud your becoming involved in a site like this after what you have been through over the last 31 years. It can't be easy opening yourself up to hundreds of other stories similar to your own.

Having said that, I simply want to make a few observations on the RN comparisons. Mostly just writing down what my brain is telling me at this moment......so be gentle.

I believe that the ONLY way this murder will be solved is to definitively link the RN to Patsy Ramsey, and yet I see the date on this comparison...8 years ago!

Cina Wong says on her website "it is a mistaken belief that one can identify gender from a person's handwriting" and I must say, I tend to agree.

In my opinion, much over-analysis of the note has taken place whereby people have attempted to prove that the note shows "motherly care" and the like.

While I believe the note is bogus and was created to muddy the waters, I don't believe a line by line analysis can be used to assess character traits of the author. Most of the analyses shown here have the suspect in mind...they are sifting the candidates through the sifter and seeing who remains.

It's awkward to explain, but as a RDI kinda guy, and in particular PR, you must accept that she was deceptive in the following 10 years after the murder (up until her own death). Someone who can maintain that level of deception over such a period of time must surely be capable of deception when authoring a ransom note. This is the main reason I don't believe attempting to garnish details of personality are useful.

It is the same as us saying "Well, I wouldn't have sat down and waited, I would have searched all over the house...I'd have been in a frenzy". That's an opinion and I whilst probably accurate in an observational sense, it's irrelevant if we're trying to find the author.

Anything I hear the defense saying "I object" to because it is an opinion or a 'feeling', I am dismissing.

So, we have the note. We have consistent matches with PR's own hand-writing from other letters. We have it on her pad with her pen....of course, anyone could have used that. We have practice note imprints visible. That's a fact, so we can use that. That gets us into how comfortable the person was....we know all that part.

The practice notes are a little different to the actual note which tells me that the person knew what they wanted to say, but wasn't so sure how to begin.
Remember, a good beginning and you'll hook your audience.

But I want scientific consistency in order for me to bother connecting the further dots surrounding the note.

What would have been nice would have been getting PR to write the note after various emotional stimuli. After all, at the time the note was written, it's safe to assume whoever wrote it was highly emotional one way or the other. Alas....

I guess the point of my rambling post is that for those of us who are RDI proponents, we need to scientifically connect PR to the note WITHOUT the "it was written by a lady" type analysis as that is too easy to dismiss as guesswork or opinion. This thread and others examining the basics of the notes are where we should be focussing our attention in my books.

Perhaps doing it a different way.
Ubowski said 24 of PR's 26 alphabet letters matched the note.
Statistically speaking....the odds of matching 24 of the 26 letters is 1 : 16,777,216 (I'm saying 50/50 chance of a match on each letter to the power of 24).
Just less than one in 17 million...and that's letter matches alone.
Word matches and phrasing adds to that. I would also add variations like the é in attaché.

I know this still leaves room for someone to say "There are over 6 billion people in the world.", however, we weren't all in the area on the night in question. Pretty sure a massive chunk of the world has an alibi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni