847 users online (137 members and 710 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Glass Bakeware Poses Shatter Risk

In case anyone missed this in the news. I use pyrex and other glass dishes for everyday cooking and for the holidays. Now I'm a bit worried.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n7125574.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by bogeygal View Post

In case anyone missed this in the news. I use pyrex and other glass dishes for everyday cooking and for the holidays. Now I'm a bit worried.

I have had this happen once, I still use them but am more careful. I was a teenage bride and put a pyrex pan right out of the oven into the wet sink and it scared me to death.

Mom apparently failed to mention that kitchen lesson along the way. Never did it again.

Quote Originally Posted by impatientredhead View Post
    I have had this happen once, I still use them but am more careful. I was a teenage bride and put a pyrex pan right out of the oven into the wet sink and it scared me to death.

Mom apparently failed to mention that kitchen lesson along the way. Never did it again.
    Thanks, I won't be putting them in the sink either. There was a report on my local news, and they did mention not to put on a wet counter after taking out of the oven too.

I really like to use the glass casserole dishes for baking. The glass was so much easier to clean then using a metal pan, especially when making ziti or lasagna or anything that is a tough clean-up job.

Thanks, I won't be putting them in the sink either. There was a report on my local news, and they did mention not to put on a wet counter after taking out of the oven too.

I really like to use the glass casserole dishes for baking. The glass was so much easier to clean then using a metal pan, especially when making ziti or lasagna or anything that is a tough clean-up job.
    I have switched over to mostly stoneware for my lasagna, enchiladas etc, I still have my pyrex pans but I guess when I think about it I actually bake in my stoneware more often. Never had any issues with those shattering.

I've had Pyrex shatter on me twice. Once after cooking in the oven and once when it got dropped.

I am sorry, but of course glass exposed to extreme temperature changes shatters. Did no one pay attention in science class? Or listen to your grandmother?
    JMO.

When I was a kid, Mom stored them high up in the cupboards-- one came down and nearly took of my arm, a big deep slice. But, I've never had one shatter and have used them for years.

Just keep a healthy respect for glass of any kind and heat.

Making cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving (cooked on the stove), I waited (I thought) until it was room temperature to tranfer it to a decorative clear glass baking dish. I heard that distinctive CRACK when I poured in the sauce. Had to throw away the cracked dish. I am glad it didn't explode. But I really did not think the sauce was hot -- just lukewarm, and I have used the bowl for years to serve hot dishes. I wonder if the glass weakens with age.

Eve

I remember the time when this wouldn't happen. The glass has changed, imo. I remember when they put safety glass in windshields, and I asked my dad what is that. He explained it was like pyrex glass, and I knew what that meant. I've had recent purchases of those stacked measuring/mixing bowls shatter into dangerous splinters at the pour spout, just from the slight bumping during removal from the shelf. I don't think it's as heavy. I do think the formula has changed, as so many products have.

Quote Originally Posted by grayjay View Post
    I remember the time when this wouldn't happen. The glass has changed, imo. I remember when they put safety glass in windshields, and I asked my dad what is that. He explained it was like pyrex glass, and I knew what that meant. I've had recent purchases of those stacked measuring/mixing bowls shatter into dangerous splinters at the pour spout, just from the slight bumping during removal from the shelf. I don't think it's as heavy. I do think the formula has changed, as so many products have.
    I'll bet you're right grayjay. Come to think of it, most of my Glass pans or pyrex pans are at least 10 years old. I bought a new one for Thanksgiving and it has a light "blue gray" color. When I was cleaning out that casserole dish, I noticed a small vertical "crack" on the bottom of the glass. I wondered how it happened. Maybe the formula has changed!

I use pyrex all the time too. I'm not worried

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Last year, I bought a brand new pyrex casserole dish. The first time I used it, I made baked spaghetti. While it was cooking, I heard this horrible noise and opened the oven to find the dish had shattered into hundereds of pieces. I cannot tell you how hard it was to clean all that spaghetti, melted cheese and sauce off the oven racks and elements. It also ruined my dinner.

I had one explode after I took it out of the oven (brownies) and set it on the counter to cool. It went after about 30 minutes, so obviously it wasn't the temp. change that did it. After that I looked at the other two I had and both had "crazing" in the glass, so I tossed them and won't buy anymore.
    When I mentioned it to my MIL, she said she'd seen an article somewhere that said this became a problem when Pyrex moved their manufacturing facilities to Mexico. I never saw the article myself, but I no longer use Pyrex.

Pyrex Panic: Shrapnel in the Kitchen

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...rex_panic.html

Three Years later: Pyrex Still Goes Boom

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0.../08/pyrex.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast