1066 users online (226 members and 840 guests)  

Websleuths News

Is there any way to block photos on Webslueths?

I accidently saw a UID picture and I think I'm traumatized! Is there anyway to block pictures from showing up on Websleuths? Is there any requirement to warn of deceased photos in threads?

I'm not trying to be picky but it really disturbed me.

Quote Originally Posted by mywarmbluefleece View Post
    I accidently saw a UID picture and I think I'm traumatized! Is there anyway to block pictures from showing up on Websleuths? Is there any requirement to warn of deceased photos in threads?

I think if you go to edit options on you User CP, half way down the options, under "Thread Display Options," there is a box you can uncheck for "show images" (under "Visible Post Elements"). That might work for you - I've not tried it, though.

HTH.

Thanks whyaduck, I'm doing that now! You are always so helpful!

Thanks whyaduck, I'm doing that now! You are always so helpful!
    Well, I am glad something good can come from the fact that I basically live on this forum.

there usually is a warning

it happened to me once too, when I first came here - I was a bit traumatized so I understand

hint: if you're in the unidentified forum, chances are you're going to see morgue photos

Unhappy

For me, the trauma was seeing the snake in the Pet Photos forum, I won't ever go to that thread again... I hate snakes and I'm terrified of even seeing photos of them, so I'll just have to miss out on all the photos of the cute dogs because that poster ruined it for me...
    P.S. there was no warning on that one!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

Hi! Can you link me to the thread that you were on?

We recently revamped Missing/UID's and we tried to label all of the threads that contained morgue photos....clearly we missed one.

TIA!
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    Hi! Can you link me to the thread that you were on?

We recently revamped Missing/UID's and we tried to label all of the threads that contained morgue photos....clearly we missed one.

TIA!
    Thanks! It was the most recent Lyle Stevik one.

Thanks! It was the most recent Lyle Stevik one.

Just a suggestion. Please hit the alert button when you find a post which doesn't have the graphic images warning. There are appx 1500 posts in the Lyle Stevik subforum and without knowing what post you were refering to it is almost impossible to determine which of the posts.

I will add a sticky warning the subforum may contain graphic photo's but without knowing the exact post or going through all 1500 or so posts that is the best we can do.

hth
    Cubby
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

I just want to add that unless the unidentified individual is living, it is a guarantee that you will hit a morgue photo in that area-it is the easiest way to compare features of the missing with those of the UID.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Morgue photos should not be pasted or attached into the body of a post. They should be added as a link with a clear message" Warning Graphic Images at attached link.

We implemented this rule a few months ago but there are many many older posts and threads which still have the pictures in the posts. It would be impossible for us to go through each and every post in the unidentified forum and subforums to edit older posts which have morgue photo's within the post so the chances are good, as believe posted, of running into a morgue photo in the Unidentified forum.

hth
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Just a suggestion. Please hit the alert button when you find a post which doesn't have the graphic images warning. There are appx 1500 posts in the Lyle Stevik subforum and without knowing what post you were refering to it is almost impossible to determine which of the posts.

I will add a sticky warning the subforum may contain graphic photo's but without knowing the exact post or going through all 1500 or so posts that is the best we can do.

hth
    Cubby
    Thanks Cubby. I'll go back and try to hit the moderator alert. I saw it once so it won't bother me to see it again.

No more UID threads for me.

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    For me, the trauma was seeing the snake in the Pet Photos forum, I won't ever go to that thread again... I hate snakes and I'm terrified of even seeing photos of them, so I'll just have to miss out on all the photos of the cute dogs because that poster ruined it for me...
    P.S. there was no warning on that one!
    Thank you for the warning, LinasK. I am exactly the same way. My fear of snakes is so bad that pictures terrify me. I have really tried to get over the fear, but no luck.

I also enjoy the doggy pictures in the Pet forum.
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.