1245 users online (232 members and 1013 guests)  

Websleuths News

Reuters: "As jurors go online, trials go off-track"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40578962...h_and_gadgets/

New headline article on MSNBC....

Reuters

ATLANTA — The explosion of blogging, tweeting and other online diversions has reached into U.S. jury boxes, raising serious questions about juror impartiality and the ability of judges to control courtrooms.

A Reuters Legal analysis found that jurors' forays on the Internet have resulted in dozens of mistrials, appeals and overturned verdicts in the last two years.

well I'm pretty sure they can't put that genie back in the bottle....gonna have to come up with some new language for jurors, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomom View Post
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40578962...h_and_gadgets/

New headline article on MSNBC....

Reuters

ATLANTA The explosion of blogging, tweeting and other online diversions has reached into U.S. jury boxes, raising serious questions about juror impartiality and the ability of judges to control courtrooms.

A Reuters Legal analysis found that jurors' forays on the Internet have resulted in dozens of mistrials, appeals and overturned verdicts in the last two years.

well I'm pretty sure they can't put that genie back in the bottle....gonna have to come up with some new language for jurors, I think.
    Or go back to sequestering them more often...

Ethics are in the toilet... hopefully this is a transitional phase and electronic communication will normalize.