1239 users online (265 members and 974 guests)  

Websleuths News

11-year-old girl charged with torturing a kitten

I have a 10 1/2 year old daughter who loves kittens, cats. .all animals.. I can't even comprehend this

~~~~~~

An 11-year-old Indianapolis girl faces legal trouble after witnesses told Indianapolis police she intentionally mistreated a kitten Saturday night by swinging it in the air with a cord tied around its neck.

The girl was arrested on a Class A misdemeanor charge of torturing or killing a vertebrate animal. Animal Care and Control officials said in a report that the animal had to be euthanized because of injuries to its neck and its poor health.

~~~~~

"I placed (the girl) in handcuffs and asked her why she was treating the animal that way," Officer Christopher Cooper wrote in court documents. "She responded by just staring at me."

The girl showed no signs of remorse, Cooper reported.

~~~~~

http://www.indystar.com/articles/9/175080-2489-102.html

Thumbs down

Omg, this is terrible. My 12 yr old daughter would die.

This girl appears to be emotionally disturbed. I hope court intervention will provide her with care and counseling to set her psyche on a healthy path. So sad.

This girl appears to be emotionally disturbed.
    Gee, ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyPigeon
    This girl appears to be emotionally disturbed. So sad.
    ...Lol, no doubt.

Forgive me...I love animals, but I have a bigger concern than the kitten. IMO, kids who do this are being mistreated and not speaking up.

As a child I've seen kittens in particular abused by kiddos who were being mistreated. The teaching starts at home.

My question is, is it parents? siblings? neighbors? or bully's at school?

I wouldn't necessarily assume this kid has no "remorse" but, perhaps more dumbfounded and shocked and scared.

Kids who are abused are able to put on a blank face.

If I'm right, I sure would feel bad for this kid being prosecuted rather than finding out what's going on and protecting her.

I was an abused kid. I was asked numerous times "What's wrong?", while I am articulate now, the question then, was unanswerable. To be asked "what's wrong" can sometimes be the same as being in trouble again when all you want is to not be noticed.

Just my thoughts not knowing the kid.

On the other hand, I have seen some wicked kids in our own neighbor hood, but then again, these kids don't have parents who are very interested in what their kids are doing.

Hi Fran... thanks for posting your thoughts ~ you could, of course be 100% correct.

I hope that her young age will raise flags and she will get someone assigned to help her.

I agree she could be acting out hostility for being abused herself... or she could just have her wiring screwed up and be mean child and a psychopath in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    Hi Fran... thanks for posting your thoughts ~ you could, of course be 100% correct.

I hope that her young age will raise flags and she will get someone assigned to help her.

I agree she could be acting out hostility for being abused herself... or she could just have her wiring screwed up and be mean child and a psychopath in the making.
    Hi Casshew,

I guess it's just in "knowing" the kid. My mother did not treat me well. Once in a while, someone would notice something wrong. But, I didn't know how to speak up, really it just meant more trouble, and I would have to be able to "understand" what was going on. I was a bright kid, but, understanding relationships isn't the same as reading and doing math. My mother was able to steer people clear or blame me.

When I "cried" because I wasn't able to see my dad (and I'm sure from someone noticing something wrong) mom sent me to counseling. When the counselor came back and said nothing's wrong with this kid and started looking at my mom and step dad, the treatment at home (beatings included) just got worse.

AS an adult, I can understand this all so much better. As a kid, I had no clue! And...I was mean to kittens, too I threw one up in the air over and over...I feel so bad now. I do realize that this doesn't explain everyone's behavior, but it is one explanation. I saw other kiddos' who did this type of thing too. It seems that abused kids kinda cling to each other.

Hi Fran... thanks for sharing that with us.. sometimes I am quick to judge based on what I read... but I don't know what it is like to be a child in that environment.

What became of your relationship with your Mother? did you grow to hate her? or forgive her?

Quote Originally Posted by Fran Bancroft

Well, I'm sure that's WAY more than you wanted to know.
    No that was great!! many people cannot talk openly like you can.

Would you trust your Mom alone with your children? or do you think she would abuse them? Has she ever said she was sorry for treating you so badly?

I know you equate the drinking with the guilt... she is trying not to think about it... I guess she is jealous of you as well, because you are a good Mom.

Wow!! I have a 10 year old and I would flip if they were left alone or driven around drunk!! Well you learned a valuable lesson that time that even day trips have to be supervised.

Your Mom sounds like she seriously needs some help but doesn't want to help herself.. I am glad you have two great kids and have your head together.

I don't know why anyone would be unkind to you for sharing - it's a brave thing to do and you are a great writer.. some people can't put together what they really want to say and it's a struggle.

Thanks for sharing all this with us... hope this little kitten killer gets the help she needs.

P.S. My daughter has a box of dead lady bugs somewhere... they rattle when you shake it she is always bringin in worms and snails but she tries to make homes for them and look afterthem... sometimes I am afraid to look in her backpack... last year I found a turnip she said someone at school gave it to her.. it weighed like 5 pounds LOL