GUILTY VA - Tina Smith, 41, slain, 12yo daughter abducted, Salem, 2 Dec 2010 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
In cases like this where a teen supposedly left *willingly* (at least in some peoples eyes) with a suspect do the cops that work the prostitute beats get their data? Seems like if you had a chance to catch a girl working the streets your best shot is when they are new, scared and not street savvy.

With this case and Jean Marie's I just worry about "men" with no assets, no money, and no way to secure a job traveling with young girls..... it just seems like the obvious place they are going to surface.

And then to compound the issue, the people who would see these girls are not likely to be calling a tip line to say they were soliciting sex with underage girls and think they recogonize the girl from a flyer.

I don't understand the term going willingly when it comes to a 12 year old. Yes, a lot of girls are growing up faster than most of us did, but mentally they are still 12.

I don't understand the term going willingly when it comes to a 12 year old. Yes, a lot of girls are growing up faster than most of us did, but mentally they are still 12.

I totally agree. I posted in the last thread CBS running a headline that says Brittany involved with murdered mom's beau? like it was some torrid love triangle.

But for the ones that are manipulated into going and quickly find themselves in over their head on the run with a violent man with no money, seems like they are likely to end up being forced to trade sex for money.

I was wondering how aware the vice cops are with the newly missing girls, and if reward money is heavily advertised among the sex trade workers who are the most likely to see them and the least likely to invite LE into their own lives.

Her own family has come out and said they believe she went willingly...so there must be something indicating that she "wanted" to go with him. We don't know all of the details of the relationship between JE and BS. I'm sure manipulation and control was a large part of it, but this could be something that makes people...her own family included...think she wanted to go with him. Then obviously if she knew about/witnessed her mother's murder, she was probably incredibly scared and after he told her God knows what, she decided she'd go with him. I agree with you that most 12 year olds wouldn't just up and say they wanted to go away with a 32 year old man, but most 12 year olds don't even have any sort of non-familial relationship with a 32 year old man. I'm not trying to blame her for everything, but I feel that this situation could have been prevented but a lot of variables kept that from happening. JMO.

Very good question. Is there even a reward for info on Brittany? If so I've not read it anywhere.

I totally get what you are saying and agree with you on it. However I think maybe where some people are coming from is that yes 12 year olds are children but not all of them innocent in what they do to either. I've said this before and will say it again. I know of six children aged from 12 to 15 that have snuck out of their parents home to be with older boys. I know that you probably wonder where the parents are and I can assure you if that if they were aware of what the kids were doing that those kids would be in trouble! You would not believe how rebellious and sneaky these kids have become today just to get what they want.

I can tell you one of those kids between that age range is 13 years old left with an 18 year old boy to go racing when she was supposed to be babysitting her brother & did not get home until 6AM. Her 15 year old sister took over for her. When their mother found out about it she got her cell phone taken away from her & was grounded for like 3 weeks over it. Her sister is out of control too sneaking off and lying. I'm just saying that kids these days some of them are out of control and if they can't get what they want will sneak around etc just to get what they want. I've babysat both those girls so I know how they are.

Another situation that involved a 12 year old girl who was sneaking was shocking to me! OMG i was so SHOCKED when her friend told me last weekend that this girl was sneaking out to meet boys that lived down the street from her. I babysat her and her siblings in the past and I know that first hand the parental figure(her grandmother) would be absolutely LIVID if she knew about it. I was shocked when I found out because I didn't know how the hell she'd get away with it!

There was also a case where a 14 year old girl was going to sneak out to meet a junior boy to have sex with him but she ended up getting caught/grounded for it.

All I am saying is that kids these days if they don't get what they want or if their parents are to strict they SNEAK around just to get what they want or do what they want. I don't know if it was like this with Brittany but if she did go with this guy willingly(regardless of the fact that it is still a crime) that to me anyways it is not that far off simply because I know of the cases of around here.

Willen, I total know what you are saying. Just last week we woke to the neighbor and her 15 year old in a screaming match. She has climbed out her window and was trying to get back in before her Mom woke. She had left to meet up with a 20 year old who was leaving for basic training. I know their bodies may look like they are grown, but mentally they are still just children. I do think there was some kind of sick relationship between BS and JE. As I read through their MS stats I was like WTH. I just do not see how this was missed by others in her life.

Her own family has come out and said they believe she went willingly...so there must be something indicating that she "wanted" to go with him. We don't know all of the details of the relationship between JE and BS. I'm sure manipulation and control was a large part of it, but this could be something that makes people...her own family included...think she wanted to go with him. Then obviously if she knew about/witnessed her mother's murder, she was probably incredibly scared and after he told her God knows what, she decided she'd go with him. I agree with you that most 12 year olds wouldn't just up and say they wanted to go away with a 32 year old man, but most 12 year olds don't even have any sort of non-familial relationship with a 32 year old man. I'm not trying to blame her for everything, but I feel that this situation could have been prevented but a lot of variables kept that from happening. JMO.

I totally agree with you! I think this could quite possibly be a case where this girl wanted to have a relationship with him & the mother(rightfully so) was completely against it causing the child to rebel against her. Obviously we'd be thinking the opposite but this scenario shouldn't be ruled out at all in my opinion.

From the time we draw breath we have a will...we do not always make the correct/best choices but whatever choices we make we do it willingly or willfully. A 12 year old can not be trusted to make the best choices but that does not prevent them from making them. I prefer to believe that JE managed to intimidate, bully, persuade, coerce or cajole BS to accompany him in his flight, blissfully unaware her mother lay dead in the family home. BUT I have toyed with the possiblity that BS was perfectly aware of her mother's demise and made a conscious decision to leave with JE. I have even entertained the possiblity that it was she who may have caused her mother harm and JE swept her away to protect her. I have wondered if the two of them committed this act together and ran like the wind. None of these are out of the realm of possiblities... a 14 year old boy in Naples, FL killed both his parents today as they lay in their bed...that said - I still think JE should be hung by the testicles when caught and he WILL be caught. BS will be...no, already is, a casualty. Whether it is physical, mental or emotional remains to be seen.

Willen, I total know what you are saying. Just last week we woke to the neighbor and her 15 year old in a screaming match. She has climbed out her window and was trying to get back in before her Mom woke. She had left to meet up with a 20 year old who was leaving for basic training. I know their bodies may look like they are grown, but mentally they are still just children. I do think there was some kind of sick relationship between BS and JE. As I read through their MS stats I was like WTH. I just do not see how this was missed by others in her life.

BBM. I think most would absolutely agree that it's insane that it was missed or nothing was done about it. I have to believe that if the extended family was able to pick up on it while in the presence of JE for the first time and for, more than likely, a few hours for Thanksgiving, then others HAD to see it. I've seen it before where mothers and daughters will, in essence, compete for the same guy (sick thought in this case) and whichever doesn't get the guy...well, there's a lot of animosity. I'm not saying that's what happened in this case. Was the mom so overcome with grief over the loss of her son that she overlooked what was taking place? Do we know what the relationship was like between TS and BS was like since the brother died...and more recently since JE moved in? All of the different MS posts have me utterly confused as to who did and said what. As others said, I'm not so sure I buy the friend's story that BS contacted her a week ago telling her she was scared of this happening. I also have some concern as to what BS meant in her last MS message on the 2nd.

From the time we draw breath we have a will...we do not always make the correct/best choices but whatever choices we make we do it willingly or willfully. A 12 year old can not be trusted to make the best choices but that does not prevent them from making them. I prefer to believe that JE managed to intimidate, bully, persuade, coerce or cajole BS to accompany him in his flight, blissfully unaware her mother lay dead in the family home. BUT I have toyed with the possiblity that BS was perfectly aware of her mother's demise and made a conscious decision to leave with JE. I have even entertained the possiblity that it was she who may have caused her mother harm and JE swept her away to protect her. I have wondered if the two of them committed this act together and ran like the wind. None of these are out of the realm of possiblities... a 14 year old boy in Naples, FL killed both his parents today as they lay in their bed...that said - I still think JE should be hung by the testicles when caught and he WILL be caught. BS will be...no, already is, a casualty. Whether it is physical, mental or emotional remains to be seen.

I totally agree with you!! My theory is that Brittany could have possibly wanted to have a relationship with JE and that her mom was completely against it. I think that JE and BS came up with the plan to leave town & that either BS was unaware that JE planned to murder her mom or that BS helped with the crime. IDK.

I put a link in the other thread, before it was closed ,that shows he doesn't care to harm himself to get what he wants. It just sickens me to think of what he has put this family through for his own sick gratification. My daughter is 23 with two babies of her own and to her 32 is still very old. IMO a child that is rebelling only see what they want to see.

Oh I have been meaning to post about something you guys might find interesting but I keep forgetting. I was babysitting for my neighbor tonight and I siwtched the TV onto Nancy Grace just to see the beginning if there was any new leads on this case. One of the kids that I was babysitting is a 12 year old girl & when the people on Nancy Grace were talking about Brittany it got her attention. They were showing pics of BS on TV and the girl I was babysitting was looking at the pictures. She looked at me and was like "She does not look 12 years old. She looks like she is 16." I just thought that was interesting coming from a 12 year old! I had thought the same thing that BS didn't look 12! lol

I seen a dramatic change in her appearance from the photos from before her brothers death till the ones I seen after. She did seem more around the age of 16 in the later photos. I know it has been a year since he past, but she seems to have change even in the way she dressed. In no way am I blaming this child, but I too pray she had no idea what was going to happen to her mother.

In response to the comments about kids sneaking out, wanting what they want, etc -- there is often a reason for that and it has nothing to do with the kids being spoiled, out of control, or whatever. It has to do with the family as a whole. Something is askew. Even "Families of the Year" can put on quite a show for a community on the outside but be falling apart behind closed doors. Doesn't have to be abuse or neglect - just a lack of connectedness or meaningful relationships.

Hold on to your kids, and start when they're small. One can't be distant from their younger children and magically think they'll have a good relationship with them when they're teens. It's something that has to be maintained and fostered.

So when I hear about kids climbing out of windows, I don't always assume it's just a bratty kid with no respect for the parents and who just 'want what they want'. It often means the kid is in search of something they're not getting at home. :twocents:

The first picture I saw of Brittany, the one that was posted on the first post of her first thread about her, I thought she looked 12. I thought she looked older however in her Myspace picture, her school picture, and in the Walmart video.

Also, regarding how 12-year-olds act, when I was 12, I was in Girl Scouts and still played Barbies and dollhouse with my friends but of course no one at school knew this. My cousin, on the other hand, was smoking cigarettes and drinking at age 12. My cousin didn't have a good home life at all though 'cause my uncle lived them with (not her dad, her mom's bro) and he was a huge addict. I guess it just depends on the kid.

In response to the comments about kids sneaking out, wanting what they want, etc -- there is often a reason for that and it has nothing to do with the kids being spoiled, out of control, or whatever. It has to do with the family as a whole. Something is askew. Even "Families of the Year" can put on quite a show for a community on the outside but be falling apart behind closed doors. Doesn't have to be abuse or neglect - just a lack of connectedness or meaningful relationships.

Hold on to your kids, and start when they're small. One can't be distant from their younger children and magically think they'll have a good relationship with them when they're teens. It's something that has to be maintained and fostered.

So when I hear about kids climbing out of windows, I don't always assume it's just a bratty kid with no respect for the parents and who just 'want what they want'. It often means the kid is in search of something they're not getting at home. :twocents:
You are spot on...it takes time, investment, honest communication, plain truth, compassion, listening, hearing and seeing. No matter what has happened in this particular instance, that 12 year old kid, BS, is not a "bad" kid. It is apparent in the love she showed her brother, her mother and even JE. She appears very physically mature and even her words sound mentally mature but her emotions are way behind. She was drowning and grabbed at a straw. That straw was JE...my heart breaks for her.

At 12, I was too busy running around the soccer field and basketball court to notice boys! If I did notice them, it was to try and beat them up! I'm just amazed at kids these days. I had an 8 year old in my class that looked and dressed like she was 13. I had kids that could tell you all kinds of things pertaining to sex. I had kids that knew what weed was and could tell you different ways to smoke it. Of course, 90% of them had an array of 4 letter words in their vocabulary. I was taken aback. I would've been beat within an inch of my life for talking about any of the things listed above! When I was 5, I was working on rhyming with my mom and she gave me the word duck. I bet you can figure out what word I said. I'd never heard it in my life but still got my mouth washed out with soap for it! And today...I have 3 year olds at work that make the F word a part of their everyday vocabulary.

I appreciate everyones opinions... Myself as a young teen.... I snuck out, I hung with the older boys. I feel that I had great parents, who where very involved. My mom knew all of my friends parents, visited houses before I could go...etc... But my sister and I still did the stupid stuff. I was having sex at 13, my sister at 14. Now as an adult, I am not proud to admit that, but hey, it happened.

I had a friend, same type of attentive family, that got pregnant at 13 by a 27 yr old! Her Moms solution? abortion, and keep it quiet. For some, thats just how life is. I do not agree with that....... But sometimes thats how the family dynamics play out.

I graduated highschool early, and moved away to college at 16. I had my own apartment that I payed for from working 2 jobs and going to school full time. Within 3 months, I moved in with a guy that was 32!!!! I kept that from my parents, enough that I kept my own apartment, so when they came to visit it looked as though I was on my own.

After that I met my now husband, who is 10 years my senior. I had just turned 18, he was 28. He is a wonderful man, and sad for him, we were at the same stages in life... lol.... But that is beside the point. We have been together for almost 9 years, and have a beautiful family.

I guess what I am getting at, it is normal.... wait not normal, but I have seen it as normal in my expierence...... That a 12 yr old would be blinded by love, would want something like this, would sneak and lie, and do these things because she wanted to. Not because her homelife was horrible, not because of past abuse, just because she is a 12 yr old developed almost woman. And thinks she is old enough to know.

I AM NOT PLACING ANY BLAME!!!!! At 12, when I or my friends did these stupid things, we didnt have a huge consequence like she is in the middle of. And we never thought anything bad could happen. Just trying to get into the mindset of this situation. I often wonder about my ex's what were they thinking? I was a child.... It was illegal!!!!!!!

I hope some of this made sense, and my point gets across, I am exhausted, and feel I am blabbering.

I just pray with all of my heart Brittany is safe, and will find her way back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah