1347 users online (350 members and 997 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    28,606

    OK - Epic Fail: State Slackens Child Protection Standards

    Pair of Oklahoma child deaths spotlight disturbing trend
    The November washing machine death of a Bartlesville infant and last summer's drug overdose death of a teenager at a family reunion are examples of a disturbing trend in Oklahoma.
    ---
    The chairman and vice chairman of the Oklahoma Commission for Human Services told The Oklahoman they believe a new state law that narrows conditions under which children can be removed from homes has created situations where DHS workers and courts are leaving children in homes when the better choice might be to remove them.

    The new law that went into effect Jan. 1 requires child welfare workers, law enforcement officers and courts to determine there is an “imminent safety threat” to a child before that child can be removed from a home. Previously, officials only had to show the child's surroundings were a danger to the child's welfare.

    Under the new standard, officials must determine the threat is so severe that “in the very near future and without the intervention of another person, a child would likely or in all probability sustain severe or permanent disability or injury, illness or death.”

    “My feeling on it is that when they changed that to imminent safety threat, I think that hurt us greatly on being able to remove some children,” said Aneta Wilkinson, vice chairman of the commission. “It seems like they raised the bar so high that maybe that has really hurt us. I think we need to look into it more and make some changes.”
    ---

    much more at
    http://newsok.com/pair-of-oklahoma-c...#ixzz17vH1CaYK

    This lengthy Sunday Oklahoman article chronicles the effect of the change in law and its possible role in the overdose death of a Waukomis teenager, the "baby in the washing machine" case in Bartlesville, and others.

  2. #2
    mikeysmommom's Avatar
    mikeysmommom is offline "A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty...."
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    4,620
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Pair of Oklahoma child deaths spotlight disturbing trend
    The November washing machine death of a Bartlesville infant and last summer's drug overdose death of a teenager at a family reunion are examples of a disturbing trend in Oklahoma.
    ---
    The chairman and vice chairman of the Oklahoma Commission for Human Services told The Oklahoman they believe a new state law that narrows conditions under which children can be removed from homes has created situations where DHS workers and courts are leaving children in homes when the better choice might be to remove them.

    The new law that went into effect Jan. 1 requires child welfare workers, law enforcement officers and courts to determine there is an “imminent safety threat” to a child before that child can be removed from a home. Previously, officials only had to show the child's surroundings were a danger to the child's welfare.

    Under the new standard, officials must determine the threat is so severe that “in the very near future and without the intervention of another person, a child would likely or in all probability sustain severe or permanent disability or injury, illness or death.”

    “My feeling on it is that when they changed that to imminent safety threat, I think that hurt us greatly on being able to remove some children,” said Aneta Wilkinson, vice chairman of the commission. “It seems like they raised the bar so high that maybe that has really hurt us. I think we need to look into it more and make some changes.”
    ---

    much more at
    http://newsok.com/pair-of-oklahoma-c...#ixzz17vH1CaYK

    This lengthy Sunday Oklahoman article chronicles the effect of the change in law and its possible role in the overdose death of a Waukomis teenager, the "baby in the washing machine" case in Bartlesville, and others.

    This is why everyone across the states need to complain about these Laws, this does not protect our children.How many have to die or be beaten into a coma,or brain damaged before they realize the dangerous homes they are leaving defenseless children in. It is sickening how badly the currant system works. I have seen it for my self or I would never believe the crap dyfs pulls, even after children tell of abuse , they twist their words and keep kids with abusers.It seems they want to keep families intact no matter the dangers a child is in.
    I Love You MOM 6/16/32 - 5/30/09





    Justice for Travis 5/8/13

    Justice For Emma
    Stacey Barker - Guilty - Murder 1 - 5/24/11
    25 to Life - Sentenced 6/17/11

    Justice Denied for Caylee Marie Anthony
    July 5,2011

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Emerald City
    Posts
    6,476
    I thought the entire point was imminent danger was a police issue, and probable and predictable harm to a child was CPS. What do they even need them for at this point. Just call the police since CPS can't do anything.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    28,606
    The blame here is all on the state - on politicians, and the voters who put them there. While some preach family values and the sanctity of leaving a child with its parents, the real issue here is funding: with slack laws such as this, state governments can more easily underfund state agencies while seeming to enforce values.

    What they are truly doing is sentencing children to death, then waiting for the public to blame it on those of the lowest rank - overworked field workers facing difficult, or impossible, calls, given a slackening of the law like this one.

    The fewer children removed from the home, the less it costs the state; the less it costs the state, the more politicians can campaign on issues like reduced taxes; the fewer tax dollars you pay, the more children are put at risk.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,910
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeysmommom View Post
    This is why everyone across the states need to complain about these Laws, this does not protect our children.How many have to die or be beaten into a coma,or brain damaged before they realize the dangerous homes they are leaving defenseless children in. It is sickening how badly the currant system works. I have seen it for my self or I would never believe the crap dyfs pulls, even after children tell of abuse , they twist their words and keep kids with abusers.It seems they want to keep families intact no matter the dangers a child is in.
    It sure seems that way. But I believe the real problem is there is no place to put children once removed from their homes. In my experience, fostercare is often times far worse.


    Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    28,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    It sure seems that way. But I believe the real problem is there is no place to put children once removed from their homes. In my experience, fostercare is often times far worse.
    While the quality of foster care inevitably varies (and good and dependable foster parents are truly worth their weight in gold), I'd have a hard time believing that the infant drowned in the Bartlesville case referenced in the article could have been in worse hands than the ones she was in.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-29-2010, 08:28 PM
  2. Child Online Protection Act; Feds seek Google data in child porn case
    By PrayersForMaura in forum General Information & Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 02:46 PM