MD - Psychologist, Dr. David Schrumpf, Charged With Sexual Abuse Of Minor & ch.*advertiser censored*

Belinda

Doer of Things
Reaction score
POSTED: 3:58 pm EST December 10, 2010
UPDATED: 5:42 pm EST December 10, 2010

BEL AIR, Md. -- A Whiteford psychologist has been charged with several counts of sexual abuse of a minor and sexual offenses.

The Harford County State's Attorney's Office said Friday that Dr. David Schrumpf, 55, was being held at the Harford County Detention Center with no bail.

More at link:
http://www.wbaltv.com/news/26092470/detail.html

I'm gonna hold off adding this name to the title because a portion of the headline on the one link we have says "charges still under investigation."

While I am all for publicly exposing these pedos, I am just concerned about the headline - I don't think I've seen that before and I don't want to jump the gun.

The articles says "several charges" over "several months in 2010."

I know almost all cases are still under investigation when we begin to follow them, but the article on this case is only 2 paragraphs long and that subheading just makes me want to wait for a little more info. As soon as we get that info or just backup articles, I will be glad to add this perp's name to the title.

Thanks,

Salem

snipped

A Harford County psychologist with professional connections to local schools and the county government is facing numerous sex abuse charges after allegedly molesting two of his patients who are children and being caught by police with child *advertiser censored* on his computer.

DWS, 55, a licensed psychologist with a practice in Fallston, was charged Friday with 10 counts of third-degree sex offense and 10 counts of sex abuse of a minor.

A mother was having a conversation with her 7-year-old daughter about appropriate touching when the girl made a comment about her psychologist.

The girl said DS, her doctor, touches her in private places. The girl’s mother then spoke with her other daughter, age 10, who is also a patient of DS's. The 10-year-old also told her mother that S allegedly touches her in private places during sessions..

The girl’s mother said after returning to the psychologist in September that the 10-year-old started exhibiting signs of depression, according to charging documents.

On Thursday, police executed search and seizure warrants at both DS's home in Whiteford, and at his office in Fallston.

When police arrived at DS's home, he ran toward his home office and tried to turn off a computer before he was apprehended, according to charging documents. Detectives saw child *advertiser censored* on display on the computer DS had tried to turn off, according to charging documents.

At his bail review hearing in Harford County District Court Friday, DS had an attorney, who requested bail, describing DS as a family man who had many close ties to the community. :sick:

Judge Susan Hazlett denied the request and ordered DS be held without bail at the Harford County Detention Center.

http://www.exploreharford.com/news/7152/psychologist-faces-child-sex-charges-has-professional-links-schools/

Kudos to Judge Susan Hazelett!

Sick. Sick. Sick.

Belinda - I sent this link to Salem.

From Doctor Dave's Website.

Today you or your loved one have begun a journey toward growth and well-being.

As a solution-focused therapist, my goal is to help you uncover your true potential and lead a life that is worth celebrating. As a licensed psychologist with over 25 years of experience diagnosing attenton or learning problems, I can help idenitify the barriers to learning and recommend individualized strategies and supports for academic success.

http://mydoctordave.com/

DS has been in private practice since 1989 giving ADHD and learning disability testing, as well as adult, adolescent and child therapy.

He integrates complementary methodologies and techniques to offer a highly personalized approach tailored to each client. With compassion and understanding, he works with each individual to help them build on their strengths and attain the personal growth they are committed to accomplishing. (UGH)

DS is on the advisory board for the private Highlands School in Creswell and is among the referred providers for the Harford County Department of Social Services :furious: :furious:

I would say that Dr. Dave has certainly earned having his name listed in a thread header. I do agree that the first article was spotty but maybe they rushed it to press. The new info leaves not much doubt in the matter, IMO.

Thanks LCoastMom and Belinda for alerting us to this guy. I'm sure Mercyneal will be interested.

Mug shot:

http://www.examiner.com/buzz-in-baltimore/harford-psychologist-charged-with-sexual-child-abuse

And another article which was informed by the State Attorney's Office:

http://www.examiner.com/gifted-chil...ty-child-psychologist-arrested-for-sex-crimes

"....a Harford County psychologist with professional connections to local schools and the county government is facing numerous sex abuse charges. The psychologist in question was arrested after allegedly molesting two of his patients, who are children, and being caught by police with child *advertiser censored* on his computer.

David W. Schrumpf, 55, a licensed psychologist with a practice in Fallston, was charged Friday with 10 counts of third-degree sex offense and 10 counts of sex abuse of a minor...."

and

"....Dr. Schrumph’s attorney described, to the court, Schrumpf as a family man who had many close ties to the community. Dr. Schrumpf’s attorney also stated that Schrumpf has worked as a psychologist in private practice for 21 years.

more at link

I alerted on the post to try and get the header changed right after I posted it, but I assume they haven't had time yet. This is the 2nd psychologist/psychiatrist in my area now. It's getting depressing. This is my county. 15 minutes away. I'm so disgusted I could just spit.

Thank you guys! I have updated the title! I appreciate your help with this.

Salem

Alas, pedophiles will always gravitate towards jobs where they have access to children.

More and more, it seems like it's child psychology and psychiatry.

Sadly, this one gravitated towards a profession that not only gave him instant private access to children but to the ones that may already be suffering from issues and therefore are less likely to be believed if they report.

This is so upsetting. Many of his patients may have already had the beginning signs of some troubles, hence being taken to him, now they've been betrayed by one who took an oath to do no harm.

you are right Mercyneal, it does seem to be an alarming new trend. :sick:

Don't you think, Mercyneal, that this is because the therapeutic professions are one of the very few fields which allows a doctor to close the door on the parent and not raise eyebrows?

I'll never forget reading about Dr. James Krivacska, from NJ. He's the psychologist and sex abuse expert/author who was convicted for the sexual abuse of extremely developmentally disabled children who he counseled and evaluated. We have a thread on him:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107273&highlight=krivacska

When I read his story, something really jumped out at me. He worked at a special school as the on site psychologist and would call children into his office. There was a window in his door--as there are in most school office doors. We all know why. Anyway, Krivacska, had a little trick. He asked the boys to hang their jackets on a hook above the window, thereby blocking the view. He wanted total privacy to hurt those boys.

Being that child therapy is all about confidentiality and trust, what's the answer? Two way mirrors? Chaperones? I honestly don't know. But I do know that I've spent hundred of hours in waiting rooms while my children received evaluations and/or therapy behind closed doors.

Personally, I don't think it's new. I think it is just being reported more frequently now. The William Ayres thread has become a sort of repository of stories about doctors and therapists who abuse.

The list is shockingly long and include many internationally known names--even Nobel prizewinners!!

I alerted on the post to try and get the header changed right after I posted it, but I assume they haven't had time yet. This is the 2nd psychologist/psychiatrist in my area now. It's getting depressing. This is my county. 15 minutes away. I'm so disgusted I could just spit.

This guy is so disturbing, getting clients from DSS and thru the private school - no doubt there will be more children that he assaulted.

I took my kids to a family therapist when my ex and I split up and again later, when my son started having anger issues. The first one was never alone with the kids. The second one, would many times walk on the beach while they talked one on one, but not always. Makes me very happy in my 20/20 hind sight. She (number 2) was recommended by a doctor I knew, so I trusted her implicitly - I realize now I shouldn't have - I feel like we got lucky.

LCoastMom--I really believe that your experience was unique. In therapy offices all over the US today, children were walked back to psychologists'/psychiatrists'/therapists' closed door offices. I can attest to the fact that it is the norm. Parents and caregivers are excluded. There will occasionally be a session where parents are invited or sometimes, they will be included for the first five minutes or the last five minutes. But in 36 years of parenting, I am well trained in sitting in the waiting room. In fact, everything said in the therapist's office is off limits to the parents--except in the abstract. You might get a two page report once a year but certainly not case notes or records. JME That is confidential between the child and their therapist....and DHS or a judge if they subpoena them.

Missizzy - My experience with my daughter exactly mirrors yours. The child is left alone with the therapist and the parent is not allowed to attend or to know what is being said and done. I never questioned that setup. I would certainly do so now.

I think the only way to stop it is to educate parents as to the dangers that lurk. It would have never occurred to me to question my daughter being alone with a doctor of any kind. We have to find a way to get the word out there so parents know what could be going on behind those closed doors.

Missizzy - I agree - we were very lucky. I've seen how it usually works -

I cannot even imagine what the outcome would have been if they had seen someone who betrayed them in the worst way and it makes me sick to know there are professional creeps who prey on the weakest members of society when they are so vulnerable.

Things need to change!

LCoastMom - I was very lucky too, but only by accident. One of my daughter's psychiatrists has lost his license for molesting patients. Had my daughter been a boy, she would have been victimized by that creep. It still makes me panic to think of it. It seems these guys are coming out of the woodwork, which is wonderful. They have all gotten away with it for years and years and are finally being caught. Everyone needs to keep shining a light on this issue until every parent on the planet knows to teach their children about touching.

I recently had a long conversation with someone who has 2 young children. They have had the 'good touch, bad touch' conversation with their boys. But, I told him he needed to talk to them more because so many predators will threaten the children into not telling. I said you have to make sure they know that if they are threatened they can still tell and it will be okay. He was grateful to have that information from me, I think. That is what happened to my daughter and she never told until she was a teenager. I wish so much that I knew then what I know now. It could have made such a big difference for her.

Belinda--Interesting you should mention "good touch, bad touch" talks. I'm sure most of us have that burned into our heads as the gold standard of discussing inappropriate behaviors. The pedophile doctor I mentioned above, Dr. Krivacska--wanted to totally do away with that line of education. The funny thing is is that I think he makes a good argument. Inappropriate touch can feel good and appropriate touch can feel bad. Excellent point, IMO!! He argued that children were confused. His books on the subject are, no doubt, still on the shelves of educators and therapists around the world. I was fascinated by his approach UNTIL I learned of his nasty crimes. What a waste of a fine theory. I've always made it a point to discount the works of convicted pedophiles. If the work has merit, someone else can pick up the thread and write about it. Someone who doesn't have a private agenda.

LCoastMom--I love the idea of walking on the beach. Private but out in the open. We once had a caseworker who met our family at the park. It was great. She needed to check in with a few of the kids and she was so natural about it. They didn't feel "hemmed" in and we felt comfortable.

Maybe that's the answer--open spaces, but set apart from the parents. There's also the newer style hospital ICU settings where rooms fan out around the center nurses' center. I could see therapy offices set up like that. Even the waiting room could be there. Doctors would know that parents can glance up at any minute but still have a level of privacy.

FWIW, there is a distinct reason why there must be confidentiality. Children need privacy from their parents/caregivers in order to disclose any disturbing trends in the home. We cannot take that away from them. It would be like insisting that the male partner accompany his female partner for her annual GYN appointment. In some countries, that is the norm. Quite hard to disclose that your husband is beating you or raping you when he's sitting right there thumbing through a magazine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back