Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    I live approximately 60 miles east of where the accident happened, it has been bitter cold out and we have had snow since the accident as well which has hampered any searching... This case is making me crazy trying to figure out WHERE she could be...is mind boggling to me that all this took place in an hours time frame from the time the left the party and the accident being discovered...I have so many questions...

1.How long after the accident was it discovered by the police?
    2.When did Dale's sister leave the party and what route did she take home that night?
    3.Why were Dale and Tanya going to his sisters house after the party?
    4.Did LE subponea Dale's cell phone records to see when the last calls and texts were made and what the content was of any texts that night?
    5.How hard would it have been for Tanya to climb over the console and Dale to get out of the car? I know I read the backs of the front seats were broken but were they also pushed forward? If she herself was injured badly I can't picture her being able to climb out that way and be able to walk very far at all...

Just thinking out loud here trying to make sense...

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greeneyz For This Useful Post:

Is it possible that if she indeed wandered off and died in the snow that her body would be more "preserved" due to the freezing conditions (for lack of a better term) and COD could be determined after the snow melt if she was found fairly quickly?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coldpizza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by s_finch View Post
    The Savannah River Nuclear Site has cooling ponds where the water that circulates the reactors goes to cool. (Actually reactors don't operate any more but that is beside the point) Cooling ponds are located well inside site boundaries and the ones here are under constant surveillance and are not open to the public. Only time the public is allowed on the site is for well monitored annual deer hunts which are a necessity as deer cause so much vehicular damage and they are very abundant at the site. It is not even advised to swim much in the Savannah river that leads away from our site and definitely not eat the fish more than a few times a month due to mercury so definitely no one wants to be playing around in the cooling ponds.
    Boy does that sound familiar. I used to live near a Nuclear Site in CA. Deer hunts and all! Not to mention the boar. But to get near the Plant at all, forget about it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Coldpizza For This Useful Post:

I am certainly no expert on human decomp but it makes sense to me that the colder temps would indeed inhibit decomp and perhaps preserve more evidence as to COD if she is found before scavengers reach her or the weather turns too warm in spring.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tlcya For This Useful Post:

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Quote Originally Posted by s_finch View Post
    The Savannah River Nuclear Site has cooling ponds where the water that circulates the reactors goes to cool. (Actually reactors don't operate any more but that is beside the point) Cooling ponds are located well inside site boundaries and the ones here are under constant surveillance and are not open to the public. Only time the public is allowed on the site is for well monitored annual deer hunts which are a necessity as deer cause so much vehicular damage and they are very abundant at the site. It is not even advised to swim much in the Savannah river that leads away from our site and definitely not eat the fish more than a few times a month due to mercury so definitely no one wants to be playing around in the cooling ponds.

OT: I grew up near the SRS... skiing and swimming in the Savannah River. I remember skiing past the plant (in the 1980s) and having the water that sprayed on my ankles/shins be so hot that I was petrified of falling until we got past where the so-called cooling ponds dumped into the river. I just knew I'd be scalded... and that is one COLD river! So it must've been really hot to heat it up that high. At that point, we didn't really know any better. Although... all of that 'hot water' was with a friend's family south of SRS, near Stoney Bluff. My dad always insisted on putting our boat in above SRS, near Shell Bluff...

SRS (nuclear "bomb" plant) on one side of the river, and Plant Vogtle (nuclear energy plant) on the other side...
    Last edited by belimom; 12-14-2010 at 10:44 PM.
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

New to this post..sorry if I missed this before. Are they 100% sure she was even in the car before or at the time of the accident? Could they have had a fight before the crash and she got out? I can't imagine her getting very far from the accident with the weather the way it was, unless she was dressed for it which I doubt if she had just left a party.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grapes21 For This Useful Post:

Could anyone tell me (the answer is probably right here in front of my face) if one of Tanya's slippers was found inside the car? I thought I read somewhere??? that one of them was found in the car and the other was found inside a footprint not far from the car. Could she have lost the first slipper climbing over the shift and her husband and lost the second one as she took a step outside the car. Also, has anything been said about Tanya's blood being found in the vehicle? Thank you!

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    This case truly has me baffled. The practical side of me says that she left the car injured, in shock, and maybe intoxicated (?). And that she is probably buried in the snow somewhere. I really don't think they've searched enough, from what I've read, but I haven't been following this case as closely as many of you.

OTOH, the skeptical side of me thinks something more sinister has happened. But I just don't know if the timing is right? LE came along fairly quickly (as opposed to the next morning or something) and that was one heck of a crash. Hard to stage or plan that.

I hope she is found one way or the other so her children and family can have closure.
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

Her party shoes were in the car, one slipper outside in a footprint near the road. Presuming other slipper in car, but not positive?

If the slipper came off just at the edge of road, I think it was as she was getting into a car, or being lifted into a car. Otherwise it seems too coincidental that it would come off right there.

But if I were in her family, or knew her, I would get permission from all surrounding landowners and search every inch. Again yesterday we read about the young man found in Colorado under a bridge where searchers had already been, and it is not the first time.
    Just my opinion, of course.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sarx View Post
    I'm guessing that the majority if not all of the land in the area is private property? If it is, then it would be trespassing unless you get permission from the land owner, and being farm land that could be hard to track down. That would be why family/community/etc may not be able to search at all on most of the area.
    I grew up in farm country not that far from the site. I wouldn't think anything of walking through some farmer's field in winter. This is a small community and everybody knows everybody. If someone felt uncomfortable, it would be a simple matter to ask permission.

If you're not from Illinois, it may be hard for you to imagine how flat it is here. While there are ditches along the roads, the fields are very flat. With that red dress on it seems like it would show in a field, especially since they had a helicopter in blowing the snow around.

This is so very mystifying. The shoe in the snow makes me guess that she got in a car, which begs the question, why don't we know?

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DKanalyst For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RKnowley View Post
    Could anyone tell me (the answer is probably right here in front of my face) if one of Tanya's slippers was found inside the car? I thought I read somewhere??? that one of them was found in the car and the other was found inside a footprint not far from the car. Could she have lost the first slipper climbing over the shift and her husband and lost the second one as she took a step outside the car. Also, has anything been said about Tanya's blood being found in the vehicle? Thank you!
    Here is some info about slipper-like shoes and whether blood was found in vehicle:

[snipped]

Police also found a black Skecher slipper with fur lining in one of the footprints leading to the road, Templeton said.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/12/tanya-shannon-missing-person-lasalle-county-illinois.html

[snipped]

Footprints from a "slipper-like" shoe were found leading away from the car and up to the road, said Templeton, and one of the slippers was also located by the first responders.

Inside the car, a pair of high-heeled shoes were also found.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/tanya-shannon-missing-weekend/story?id=12333697

Reference for possible “slipper-like” shoe: Comfort and style come together in the SKECHERS Tone-ups - Spindrift shoe. Soft suede upper in a slip on casual slipper clog with faux fur collar.

http://www.skechers.com/style/38708/tone-ups-spindrift/bks

[snipped]

Templeton also stated other details of the case. He says there was no blood discovered in the vehicle, and that Dale's cell phone is still missing and every attempt to track it has been unsuccessful.

http://am1250wspl.com/Shannon-Timeline-Emerges/8415071?pid=31350

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cloudajo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by greeneyz View Post
    I live approximately 60 miles east of where the accident happened, it has been bitter cold out and we have had snow since the accident as well which has hampered any searching... This case is making me crazy trying to figure out WHERE she could be...is mind boggling to me that all this took place in an hours time frame from the time the left the party and the accident being discovered...I have so many questions...

1.How long after the accident was it discovered by the police?
    2.When did Dale's sister leave the party and what route did she take home that night?
    3.Why were Dale and Tanya going to his sisters house after the party?
    4.Did LE subponea Dale's cell phone records to see when the last calls and texts were made and what the content was of any texts that night?
    5.How hard would it have been for Tanya to climb over the console and Dale to get out of the car? I know I read the backs of the front seats were broken but were they also pushed forward? If she herself was injured badly I can't picture her being able to climb out that way and be able to walk very far at all...

Just thinking out loud here trying to make sense...
    1. Time Dale and Tanya left the party seems to vary in different articles from 11:30-12:45. I believe it's about 18 mi / 30 min drive (in normal conditions) from Streator to where they crashed. The deputy discovered the crash scene at 1:45AM. So the crash could have occurred anywhere between about 12:00-1:15AM?

2. This one article makes it sound like they all left together, which means Dale's sister Donna left at about the same time. Perhaps Donna (and her husband) pulled out first and Dale and Tanya left slightly after so weren't right behind them on the way back to Dale's sister's house in Seneca? That is, if they took the same route.

[snipped]
    Donna Baker is the Dale’s sister. She said the couple were at a Christmas party in Streator and left with everyone else shortly after midnight.

http://quoteainsurance.com/index.htm/?tag=donna-baker

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudajo For This Useful Post:

Just thinking about the conditions and Tanya’s possible state at the time:

· Midnight-1:15AM
    · Violent crash
    · Possible shock (speculation)
    · Possible intoxication (speculation)
    · Husband dead / not responding
    · Snow on the ground
    · Temperatures perhaps as low as 5 degrees
    · Area surrounded by farmland
    · Possible hypothermia setting in if she started walking (speculation)

What are the signs and symptoms of hypothermia?

The body starts to slow as the temperature drops. Aside from the cold that is felt and the shivering that may occur, mental function is most affected initially. A particular danger of hypothermia is that it develops gradually, and since it affects thinking and reasoning, it may go unnoticed.

•Initial hunger and nausea will give way to apathy as the core body temperature drops.
    •This is followed by confusion, lethargy, slurred speech, loss of consciousness, and coma.
    •Often the affected person will lie down, fall asleep, and die. In some cases, the patient will paradoxically remove their clothes just before this occurs.

http://www.medicinenet.com/hypothermia/page3.htm

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cloudajo For This Useful Post:

So unless she got into the car of someone she knew, or a stranger...and decided to seize the rather odd, tragic circumstance to makes herself scarce, then the only alternative is she is out there. And the weather has inhibited her recovery.

If she did start walking, the question is what direction.
    According to the report, footprints led to the road.
    Would she have been able to see well enough to stay on the road? Could she have been able to differentiate between pavement and grass/dirt/field?

In looking at the map that cloudajo provided
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...31cd6c4014cf85

If she wound up traveling north/northwest, she could have sounded alarms at the nuclear facility, or would have had to climb fencing, assuming the ponds and big lake are fenced in.

If she walked due west on the road, it is almost a mile down to the main entrance of the nuclear facility and 26th. I am going to assume that all of the bushes, trees, greenery, undergrowth at this entrance were checked carefully for her.

If she walked due east on the road, the first buildings that would be on her right are about 1000 ft from the accident ( that is about 3 football field lengths, to give some perspective) Buildings on either side where 27th turns south.
    There is a fair amount of bushes, trees, etc around these buildings...
    and again I am going to assume these grounds & buildings were very carefully checked.

I just can't envision her going much further than a mile at most, in the cold, one bare foot, possibly suffering some injury.

If you do look further away from the accident scene will will see other areas where there is trees, etc & buildings...I can only hope these have been carefully searched also.

If you zoom in, you can somewhat see the contours of the land. It looks flat from the road, but there are lots of 'nooks and crannies', creeks and just natural drainage areas

I surmise she may well be within one mile of the accident .

27. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sreshowtime For This Useful Post:

Tanya Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by Shlock Homes View Post
    First there has to be confirmation that she has a 'boyfriend', and is that in the romantic sense, or just a male family friend.

Seeing that her Facebook account has been quiet since the day she disappeared, and she's a habitual user via her phone, I don't see her being alive. Unless she's on the run from the law for some reason and is avoiding contact with people.
    I have witnessed two missing person reports where the individual traveled on foot from a disabled automobile through snow. Both times the body was found in a direct line between the automobile and the nearest light.

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast