Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: IL - Tanya Shannon, 40, missing after fatal car accident in Seneca, 5 Dec 2010 - #2

One time, here, on I-75 in broad daylight a woman had car trouble & pulled to the shoulder. SHe got out of her car & w/standning next to it. A trucker pulled off b/h her after about 10 minutes, got out of his rig. She of course thought he was going to help, instead, he grabbed a hold of her, lifting her. Fortunately, she was able to grab the door handle, kick, flail arms, he gave up & raced back to his rig & sped off. They were able to get him way up the road.
    Once, I had a rental car, brand new, drove 6 miles, flat tire. Guess what? No spare. I was on a good road, it was about noon. Didn't have my phone with me. A guy pulls up in a nice pick up, rolls his window down, asks if I need help, etc., I'm thinking I'm real lucky. He gets out of his truck & looks at me & asks "what you gonna do for me if I do this for you?" Needless to say, he didn't fix my flat.
    My point is I guess it is conceivable @ the time of Tanya's wreck there was a shady character happening by.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to hatchersch For This Useful Post:

If, BIG if, Tanya is out there, she can easily step back into society claiming amnesia.

Myself, I would be the local TV station pleading with local folk to take a minute to walk their property. I don't undertand why no one is doing this! Obviously I don't see the local news for that area, but from what I have read, no one is asking for people to look around. Am I wrong?

So, I wonder what the family knows that we don't. What reason do they have to not enlist local folk to scout around a bit?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hatchersch For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatchersch View Post
    If, BIG if, Tanya is out there, she can easily step back into society claiming amnesia.

Myself, I would be the local TV station pleading with local folk to take a minute to walk their property. I don't undertand why no one is doing this! Obviously I don't see the local news for that area, but from what I have read, no one is asking for people to look around. Am I wrong?

So, I wonder what the family knows that we don't. What reason do they have to not enlist local folk to scout around a bit?
    Maybe it wouldn't be so easy for her to just re appear......look what LE has been doing to run away brides who just disappear......wasn't there one last year where she claimed to be kidnapped and she came back....then LE charged her criminally and made her pay restitution for the man hours spent searching.....

Yes! She even had to mow the courthouse lawn. NG was airing the mowing over & over & over!
    I think Tanya's situation would be dif', the crash, possible injuries, delirium. It would be a great ending. So many elements here. I have to keep reminding myself that her tracks & scent end at the road! Therefore, I guess cops see no reason for any searches. Nice avatar!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatchersch For This Useful Post:

Lol thanks!

I agree that Tanya's situation IS different. But if she was found to have been 100% ok physically and just intoxicated...then called someone to come get her....that would make me mad. Maybe LE would be upset enough to press charges too. In that situation...not only did she leave her dead husband...but also would have made many many people search for days in below zero temperatures to find her....if that ends up being the case she'd have a lot of lawns to mow before I'd forgive her!

I understand what you are saying. But the difference between the run-a-way bride and Tanya is that the runaway bride called LE and made a false claim that she had been kidnapped, etc.

If Tanya is alive and even if she knows about the search for her she hasn't done that. There is no law that you can't leave and disappear if you want to. Now-I am not saying that that wouldn't be morally wrong-I just don't think it would be criminal. For some reason I don't think she is out there alive-but I hope so. The alternative is such a tragedy!
    No regrets! Mistakes are just lessons I needed to learn!

Jipsee, I concur! B/f I forget, have funeral services been held for Dale? I never heard.......
    If she did call someone to come & get her, the police would know by now what number she dialed, I would think. They've had ample time to get the phone records. Think about this scenario: She was not injured badly, was able to tind Dale's phone in the car & called Joe Blow. Joe would have to live quite close b/c of the time frame. Joe picks her up & brings her to his house. Would the police be at liberty to reveal to the GP: "Tanya Shannon is with Joe Blow. We believe her to be safe & for whatever reasons she wishes to remain away from her children. We have charged her with leaving the scene of an accident & at this time we have closed this case."
    It gets really technical about what can be divulged. Now, if Joe Blow lives nearby, it would seem to be difficult to hide her for any length of time. I think it is quite possible her communication records will be very telling in the end.

Willow, I agree. If I left home right now, on my own accord, there is NO criminal case. However, if I didn't tell my husband, he would (hopefully) call cops & report me missing, at the onset an investigation would take place. Once the cops realized I was okay, there would be absolutely nothing they could do.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hatchersch For This Useful Post:

I think the more resources/time/money that LE puts into a case, the more angry they will be if it turns out to be a hoax. I'm sure that LE has experience with dealing with hoaxes and most of them are probably figured out within a few hours without them launching a full-fledged search. I can't say accurately how much resources/time/money LE has put into looking for Tanya but they have looked for her so I can't see them being forgiving if it turned out she just walked away. If she called them right after the accident, and said she chose to go missing and to not look for her, that's one thing. But it seems like they are still searching for her so I don't think that happened.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to eileenhawkeye For This Useful Post:

Oh, they ARE still searching for her?

Quote Originally Posted by Willow57 View Post
    I understand what you are saying. But the difference between the run-a-way bride and Tanya is that the runaway bride called LE and made a false claim that she had been kidnapped, etc.

If Tanya is alive and even if she knows about the search for her she hasn't done that. There is no law that you can't leave and disappear if you want to. Now-I am not saying that that wouldn't be morally wrong-I just don't think it would be criminal. For some reason I don't think she is out there alive-but I hope so. The alternative is such a tragedy!
    That's a really good point. Tanya never called the police and said she had been kidnapped. She didn't tell a friend to call the police and report her missing to help her with her plan. Even if LE couldn't press charges or anything, would they still reveal to everyone that was lying like through a press conference? It could be embarrassing for them though that they fell for it and they may just wait for the story to disappear.

Oh, they ARE still searching for her?
    I think they are? Or they are planning to search once the snow clears? So maybe not searching at the moment but planning to? Did they say that they stopped all searches for her?

The initial search for her would have been immediate or almost immediate. I know at first they had to check with family members, hospitals, etc., plus it was dark. At that time they prob' didn't realize Dale's phone was missing. If she is alive, she could be anywhere, she likely has friends from FB that live far far away. The FBI feel no abduction occurred, according to local LE.
    If alive, one would think she has contacted Donna or another relative. Would that person come out & make a public statement b/f Xmas? I highly doubt it. They have the kids to think of.........
    The family is not asking for help from the public so in their minds, they could posibly feel they don't owe an explanation. IMO

Perhaps the reason there isn't a big public outcry by the family is because they are so tied up with the daughters and the aftermath of their father's death. I would think that the logistical and legal problems abound.

I'm sure everyone in the immediate area knows about her disappearance, so there isn't as much need to publicize as there would be in a larger area.

That said, if my sister were missing, I'd be crazy trying to find out what happened.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DKanalyst For This Useful Post:

Hawkey, Jipsee & Castle can better answer your question. They are local. I can't find any info' re: searches. The last I heard, they were called off b/c of the brual conditions.

All I know is I would be out there searching on my own if it was a family member or even a close friend. The temps have been brutal the last few weeks, but you can dress correctly even just to search a couple of hours a day. If people still believe she is buried in the snow, I believe there would be some search going on no matter what....by LE or anyone else concerned. I find it hard to believe people have just thrown their arms up and have said let's wait for the snow to melt. Truthfully there are only three reasons people go missing. They want to, they are abducted or they have met with some terrible fate.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KathyJ For This Useful Post:

This has been going on for almost 3 weeks. Hard to remember every detail. I'm sure we all follow many cases, I know I do.
    Can someone refresh me about Tanya's phones? Did she have 2 phone accounts? One recently new? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by DKanalyst View Post
    Perhaps the reason there isn't a big public outcry by the family is because they are so tied up with the daughters and the aftermath of their father's death. I would think that the logistical and legal problems abound.

Yes, there would be a lot of biz to conduct as well as providing (hopefully) a nurturing environment for the girls.

That said, if my sister were missing, I'd be crazy trying to find out what happened.
    Remember when Lacy Peterson went missing, Sharon, her mom, she was asking everyone to check their yards, nationally! I think Morgan Herringtons mom also did so.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to hatchersch For This Useful Post:

DKanalyst, I have no idea how part of my reply got interjected into your post I was responding to. Sorry. I obviously hit something....

Joe Friday is offline "Son, no matter how you slice that, that's dangerous."
    Jipsee, I concur! B/f I forget, have funeral services been held for Dale? I never heard.......
    If she did call someone to come & get her, the police would know by now what number she dialed, I would think. They've had ample time to get the phone records. Think about this scenario: She was not injured badly, was able to tind Dale's phone in the car & called Joe Blow. Joe would have to live quite close b/c of the time frame. Joe picks her up & brings her to his house. Would the police be at liberty to reveal to the GP: "Tanya Shannon is with Joe Blow. We believe her to be safe & for whatever reasons she wishes to remain away from her children. We have charged her with leaving the scene of an accident & at this time we have closed this case."
    It gets really technical about what can be divulged. Now, if Joe Blow lives nearby, it would seem to be difficult to hide her for any length of time. I think it is quite possible her communication records will be very telling in the end.
    The last organized search was conducted on 12/10/2010, that was on Friday almost a week after the wreck which occurred on the previous Saturday night. IMO LE had ample time to check phone records and call the last known numbers that were dialed that night after the couple left the party to see if Tanya called someone to come give her a ride or tell someone that she had been involved in an accident. I'll guarantee you that the search involving 40 people would not have taken place on Friday if LE knew or suspected that she was held up with someone (Joe Blow) on her own free will by that time. This makes me think that there were no numbers dialed from either Tanya's or Dale's phones around the time of the accident or we would have heard by now that she called or texted someone.

I wonder if Tanya was wearing enough jewelry at the time that a metal detector would be any use in searching the ditches that are full of snow. Does anyone know if searchers were using metal detectors at all? I didn't see any being used from videos or pictures that were shown in the news articles.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Friday For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KathyJ View Post
    All I know is I would be out there searching on my own if it was a family member or even a close friend. The temps have been brutal the last few weeks, but you can dress correctly even just to search a couple of hours a day. If people still believe she is buried in the snow, I believe there would be some search going on no matter what....by LE or anyone else concerned. I find it hard to believe people have just thrown their arms up and have said let's wait for the snow to melt. Truthfully there are only three reasons people go missing. They want to, they are abducted or they have met with some terrible fate.
    Unless they just feel they have had enough tragedy & have accepted she is in fact dead, if she is out there. Maybe they are too humble to plead for searchers, want privacy or have some info' we don't.
    Snow is such a funny thing, is it not. This morning when I walked my dog was following cat prints in the snow. Abruptly, in the middle of nowhere, they ended. The texture of the snow had transitioned, my dog didn't even leave prints & she is big. We know LE could see her prints going to the road. If she had walked the road a ways then cut into a field we don't know if they could have spotted her prints.
    Surely LE knows what time the road plow was in the area. I would assume it was a "NO PLOW ZONE" after the first officer arrived. Does anyone know?

DKanalyst, I have no idea how part of my reply got interjected into your post I was responding to. Sorry. I obviously hit something....
    There's always the edit button. Maybe you need a certain number of posts before that works too. I know you need about 100 posts before you can use the search feature.

Joe Friday, I recall something being mentioned about metal detectors, can't remember the context. It might have been here or another forum.
    Do you really think 4 biz days would be enough time to get the phone records? I think back to other cases & often, it took months. A subpoena or search warrant is needed, cooperation on behalf of the carrier, etc. Gosh, I had to ask Verizon for an itemized bill once & it took forever, for my own info'. So, in any case, LE would have had 12-6 thru 12-9 to get the info prior to the search conducted on 12-10.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to hatchersch For This Useful Post:

Someone mentioned before that LE could have compromised the scene without evening knowing it. When they pulled up they easily could have ruined some evidence without even knowing what they were about to discover.

Perhaps the family is already accepted she has died. I don't know, this early in the ball game I would still be searching and having that tugging feeling in my heart of what if? What if she is out there somewhere and I gave up too soon.

I also find it odd that the week they were checking the cell phone records is when the search stopped. Yes, they still went out on the 10th but then that was it. Arghghgh too many questions unanswered.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to KathyJ For This Useful Post:

Unless they just feel they have had enough tragedy & have accepted she is in fact dead, if she is out there. Maybe they are too humble to plead for searchers, want privacy or have some info' we don't.
    Snow is such a funny thing, is it not. This morning when I walked my dog was following cat prints in the snow. Abruptly, in the middle of nowhere, they ended. The texture of the snow had transitioned, my dog didn't even leave prints & she is big. We know LE could see her prints going to the road. If she had walked the road a ways then cut into a field we don't know if they could have spotted her prints.
    Surely LE knows what time the road plow was in the area. I would assume it was a "NO PLOW ZONE" after the first officer arrived. Does anyone know?
    The snow or blowing snow could have covered her tracks on the road. Her tracks leading away from the car were left in deeper snow and would have remained visible for longer in these conditions. That and the fact that who knows how long it was before anyone decided they were missing Tanya and they started looking for any prints in the snow along the road is unknown. By this time tire tracks could have obliterated any foot print tracks on the road making it appear that the tracks just ended at the road.

JMO

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Friday For This Useful Post:

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast