GUILTY LA - Dr. Robert Chastant, 59, New Iberia, 13 Dec 2010

'Ailina

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
So far, this media outlet hasn't released a photo of Dr. Chastant.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20101213/NEWS01/101213044/New+Iberia+doctor+reported+missing

December 13, 2010

New Iberia doctor reported missing

The Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office is searching for a New Iberia orthodontist who is considered a missing person.

Dr. Robert Chastant, 59, was due to report to his office around 8:30 a.m. Monday, but did not, according to the sheriff’s office. His vehicle was found at the Wal-Mart shopping center in New Iberia.

Chastant had not made any contact with his family as of Monday evening.

Chastant is a white man, about 5 feet 11 inches tall and weighing around 195 pounds.

Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call the Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office at 369-3711.

My goodness....how sad. Lifting up prayers for his family.

This is absolutely terrible :( He really seemed to be loved by so many in the community.

Rest in peace Robert. And thank you for making a difference while you were here on this earth. <3

This is absolutely terrible :( He really seemed to be loved by so many in the community.

Rest in peace Robert. And thank you for making a difference while you were here on this earth. <3

Very, very well said, chasing.halos. I wholeheartedly share this sentiment.

Sad, sad news...just saw a comment at your link that said he was trying to get an org up & running to find missing kids. :(

Prayers for all who loved him & the community that'll miss him.

He did. The school and him have implemented this. They have an up to date photo ID of the kids taken and an at home DNA kit sent home. Which was basically a swab of the mouth you do at home and store.

He did. The school and him have implemented this. They have an up to date photo ID of the kids taken and an at home DNA kit sent home. Which was basically a swab of the mouth you do at home and store.

It would be really, really fitting if The Advertiser would do a follow-up tribute story on Dr. Chastant for this. What school(s) implemented this? Any details on the year(s) introduced and active?

It would be really, really fitting if The Advertiser would do a follow-up tribute story on Dr. Chastant for this. What school(s) implemented this? Any details on the year(s) introduced and active?

I went and dug this info out my file I keep my important things for the kids. My kids attend Center St. in New Iberia and they have come home from school w/ the "Kid I.D." packet. In it is a sterile swab you stroke in the mouth. They also provide the envelope to store it in at room temperature. In their packet is also a hard plastic ID card w/ the kids picture and all important info (bday, sex, eye color, hair color, weight, height) and on the back is the kid's thumbprints.
Also, on back of card it says if found or for renewal contact Dr. Chastant. I'm not sure of what schools this was done at but I think it was a great thing to have in case of an emergency situation. As a parent you can hope you never have to use these things.

Okay. I submitted the following coverage request to The Advertiser. Hopefully, they'll get a writer on it soon.

If anyone would like to copy this letter to any other publication, please feel free. No need to use my name if you'd like to use your own.
It's recently come to my attention that murder victim Dr. Robert Chastant (of New Iberia) was responsible for implementing the "Kid ID" program in New Iberia schools in order to promote the safety and welfare of New Iberia's children. I find it tragically ironic that in spite of Dr. Chastant's success with the child safety program, he himself became a victim of senseless violence.

An article covering Dr. Chastant's contributions to New Iberia's child safety awareness would be a fitting tribute to a man so well loved by the community. Such a feature would also bring some small measure of comfort to his family, friends, and hometown.

Please give this assignment to one of your dedicated staff writers as soon as possible.

Thanks so much...
'Ailina W.

Chastant practiced as a dentist for more than 30 years and is credited with starting the Kid ID program in local schools. Chastant and other volunteers traveled to area schools to take fingerprints and digital images of second-graders, then put the information into a database for law enforcement to access if a child goes missing.

http://iberianet.com/articles/2010/12/14/news/doc4d07af1989fd8138225516.txt

Perfect! Looks like Heather Miller of The Daily Iberian covered that one. She'd be the one to write a feature story on Dr. Chastant and the Kid ID programs. I'd really love to read about the whole inception of the program, interviews, etc.. It would even be wonderful if philanthropists from the community would donate to the cause in Dr. Chastant's memory.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back