Trial Date set and Trial Proceeding Discussion Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess

Reaction score
http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLocal/Story.aspx?ID=1329951

Two-and-a-half years after the murder of a former Edmonton woman in North Carolina, we know a trial date for the man accused of killing Nancy Cooper.

Husband Brad Cooper, formerly of Calgary, is scheduled to go on trial February 28th in the Raleigh suburb of Cary, N.C. He has been in custody for two years, following Nancy Cooper's murder in July of 2008. Her body was found near the couple's home in Cary.

Pre-trial motions will be heard on January 31st. The trial, itself, could take several weeks.

http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLocal/Story.aspx?ID=1329951

Two-and-a-half years after the murder of a former Edmonton woman in North Carolina, we know a trial date for the man accused of killing Nancy Cooper.

Husband Brad Cooper, formerly of Calgary, is scheduled to go on trial February 28th in the Raleigh suburb of Cary, N.C. He has been in custody for two years, following Nancy Cooper's murder in July of 2008. Her body was found near the couple's home in Cary.

Pre-trial motions will be heard on January 31st. The trial, itself, could take several weeks.

February 28 in Cary? I'm not aware of there being a courthouse in Cary. I would think the trial would take place in the Wake County Courthouse in Raleigh. Am I misunderstanding?

No you're correct. It will take place at the Raleigh courthouse, Superior Court division.

2-28-11 should be the first day of jury selection...expect that to last at least all week.
The opening statements should begin Monday, 3-7-11

I was reading some material on the Michael Peterson murder trial and saw it took 6 weeks to finally seat a jury in that case. As evidenced by the change of venue request (denied), the defense may find it difficult to find a jury to their liking in short order. It may indeed be late March before the actual trial gets underway.

In case you have forgotten,Jury selection starts Monday, 2-28-11.

Unlike Peterson, the state is picking up the tab for Cooper's defense.
With that, look for the selection to be quicker than the defense would probably like.
Look for opening statements 3-7-11

It will be interesting to see how this jury is picked.

If I am the defense, I want guys, and lower income folks.

If I am the prosecution, I want mothers, and higher income women, and maybe some retired old school guys.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during jury selection - I find that to be soooo interesting. If I didn't already have a career, I'd love to be a jury consultant.

The judge said this morning that he will personally question each potential juror as to 2 main points:

1- Domestic violence
2- Pre-trial publicity

Interesting - as much pretrial publicity as I have seen, and as much as I have read (affidavits, depositions, etc)

I still think I could be impartial - but it would be work.

This jury is going to be really hard to seat, IMO.

At least the DP is off the table - if this was a capital case, I could see the jury selection taking weeks.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news...dering+wife+North+Carolina/4361736/story.html

RALEIGH, North Carolina — A murder trial into the death of former Edmonton resident Nancy Cooper got underway in North Carolina Monday, to the relief of family members in Alberta.

“The whole family, we’re looking forward to resolution,” said Cooper’s younger sister Jill Dean. “We’ve been up in the air for two and a half years, so we’re looking forward to getting started.”

During the first day in court, Defence lawyers representing former Calgarian Brad Cooper, accused in his wife’s July 2008 death, say they hadn’t received information from investigators about her alleged affair with a married man.

The 34-year-old mother of two was found strangled wearing only a sports bra in an undeveloped subdivision close to the couple’s home just outside of Raleigh, two days after her husband reported her missing. Cooper claimed at the time that she had gone jogging and never returned home.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news...dering+wife+North+Carolina/4361736/story.html

RALEIGH, North Carolina — A murder trial into the death of former Edmonton resident Nancy Cooper got underway in North Carolina Monday, to the relief of family members in Alberta.

“The whole family, we’re looking forward to resolution,” said Cooper’s younger sister Jill Dean. “We’ve been up in the air for two and a half years, so we’re looking forward to getting started.”

During the first day in court, Defence lawyers representing former Calgarian Brad Cooper, accused in his wife’s July 2008 death, say they hadn’t received information from investigators about her alleged affair with a married man.

The 34-year-old mother of two was found strangled wearing only a sports bra in an undeveloped subdivision close to the couple’s home just outside of Raleigh, two days after her husband reported her missing. Cooper claimed at the time that she had gone jogging and never returned home.

This is interesting in light of the problems that have been recently documented about the SBI withholding information.

"He was also looking for conversations the defence team contends law enforcement officers and prosecutors received from lawyers representing Nancy Cooper‘s family in civil actions that occurred before Cooper’s arrest in October 2008.

Judge Paul Gessner, the Wake County Superior Court judge overseeing the trial, quashed the bids, saying the requests for such evidence had been addressed in previous court hearings associated with the case."

Ref:http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news...rth+Carolina/4361736/story.html#ixzz1FMSwhZ5C

I am going to change the title to this thread so that it can be used to follow the trial.

Salem

A report on the noon news on WTVD (ABC 11) said 5 jurors have been seated thus far. I couldn't find an online update to link to.

Sigh. At 5:00 PM WRAL said no jurors have been seated. WTVD said several jurors have been dismissed.

Sorry, folks, just reporting what I hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow