Retired 94-year-old farmer leaves $3 million to small Minnesota town

MaryLiz

Reaction score
I just saw this story on NBC Nightly News and it really got to me. What a fantastic story, especially around Christmas time. I loved the fact that even though he was Catholic, and left $1M to his church, he also left very large sums of money to a Bible Church, Lutheran and Presbyterian churches as well, not to mention the other donations he made around town. This is just a really great story. It was very moving to watch it on the news and see the townspeople's reactions!

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=893329&catid=396

Isn't this just GREAT!! :) Wow what a great man ... I just saw this on the news too....

I can only wish to do something like this when I pass away or better yet while I am alive, may he rest in peace.....

What an amazing man! As a Catholic myself, I am so proud! Donating to the various local denominations. My 8 yr old now attends Catholic school and has a pen pal at the local Lutheran church not far from his school. Among the world of religious diversity this is a small but wonderful start.

I hope we can one day live up to Mr. Kruegers example.

From the article:

Good, the way the seniors felt when they wrote a $10,000 check to Grace Christian Church, which had the misfortune of being the only church in LeRoy founded after Krueger had made out his will.

"Why not give it away," said Bud McCool, treasurer for the Senior Citizens Center. "It was given to us. We didn't have it before, so why not help other people who are in need too."

Frugal, was the word pinned on Loren Krueger in life.

Generous is the way he'll be remembered.

God Bless you Mr. Krueger. What a legacy! Thank you for the wonderful reminder of the good in the world. Sleep peacefully and may your example live on for generations.

What an amazing man! As a Catholic myself, I am so proud! Donating to the various local denominations. My 8 yr old now attends Catholic school and has a pen pal at the local Lutheran church not far from his school. Among the world of religious diversity this is a small but wonderful start.

I hope we can one day live up to Mr. Kruegers example.

From the article:

Good, the way the seniors felt when they wrote a $10,000 check to Grace Christian Church, which had the misfortune of being the only church in LeRoy founded after Krueger had made out his will.

"Why not give it away," said Bud McCool, treasurer for the Senior Citizens Center. "It was given to us. We didn't have it before, so why not help other people who are in need too."

Frugal, was the word pinned on Loren Krueger in life.

Generous is the way he'll be remembered.

God Bless you Mr. Krueger. What a legacy! Thank you for the wonderful reminder of the good in the world. Sleep peacefully and may your example live on for generations.

BBM

That's the way I feel too, Cubby. I'm also Catholic and I would do exactly the same thing as Mr. Krueger did if I had the money. The town I live in has a small percentage of some pretty hardcore Catholic haters. I would LOVE to see something like this happen in my town just to see what some of the other churches would do if someone who was Catholic left them money like Mr. Krueger did. I have a very dear friend whose family I have known for years. They are not Catholic; in fact, her sister is a Pentecostal preacher at a church here in town. Although I have known them for over 40 years, I often feel like my Catholicism is "the elephant in the room" when we get together. It just bothers me to no end that some people in my hometown feel the way they do about Catholics. That's why I really loved this story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back