Good Samaritans Face Fine After Rescuing Deer From Icy Water

Tuffy

Not really that tough...
Reaction score
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2010/12/17/good-samaritans-face-fine-after-rescuing-deer-from-icy-water/

deer-rescue.jpg

BALTIMORE COUNTY, Md. (WJZ) – They fought to save a life, and now they say they’ll fight the fine.

It all revolves around the rescue of a deer trapped in icy water Thursday night.

Alex DeMetrick reports that good deed was rewarded with tickets.

Wow, no good deed does go unpunished!

Gee maybe the dude ought to have thrown these guys a couple life vests to make sure they were safe.
to be read in a robotic voice:
mbeep "I cannot think for myself. rules are rules, saving deer does not compute"mbeep

Gee maybe the dude ought to have thrown these guys a couple life vests to make sure they were safe.
to be read in a robotic voice:
mbeep "I cannot think for myself. rules are rules, saving deer does not compute"mbeep

Yeah, there's an idea! Apparently the cop stood by while the deer was rescued, and his only contribution was writing the rescuers tickets? Huh?

Maybe there is a judge with common sense that might throw this out?

Yeah, there's an idea! Apparently the cop stood by while the deer was rescued, and his only contribution was writing the rescuers tickets? Huh?

hahaha. Yeah, or monkeys might fly outta my but. Sorry, but the type of judge who handles tickets such as this tend to be very abrupt, to the point and don't spend a whole lot of times debating the merits of a case. Those court calls are more like cattle calls with a hundred cases before the judge to be adjudicated all in one morning. Doesn't leave a whole lot of time for the judge to really take a lot of testimony or time in considering. Just my own opinion.

Hopefully the local public will be outraged and put pressure on the system. I read it, "recommended it" and shared it on my facebook and I was the 5k person, since this morning, to do it! so at least we know it's being paid attention to by the public anyway.

hahaha. Yeah, or monkeys might fly outta my but. Sorry, but the type of judge who handles tickets such as this tend to be very abrupt, to the point and don't spend a whole lot of times debating the merits of a case. Those court calls are more like cattle calls with a hundred cases before the judge to be adjudicated all in one morning. Doesn't leave a whole lot of time for the judge to really take a lot of testimony or time in considering. Just my own opinion.

Sounds about spot on for 'bout every courtroom I have ever been in. Usually you don't even get to see the judge, the prosecutor deals with it- in the hallway outside the courtrooms

Why the hell was the officer just standing on the bank? As a natural resource officer, shouldn't HE have been trying to rescue the deer? Or at least have offered some assistance or advice?

JBean's got it right: some of the law enforcement officers we've read about lately don't have any capacity of independent thought.

Why the hell was the officer just standing on the bank? As a natural resource officer, shouldn't HE have been trying to rescue the deer? Or at least have offered some assistance or advice?

JBean's got it right: some of the law enforcement officers we've read about lately don't have any capacity of independent thought.

I can understand that the natural resources department's policy may be to NOT risk human life to rescue an animal from what is, in fact, a "natural" death.

And maybe that was the point of the citations: to discourage people from foolishly (in the officer's opinion) risking their lives. (But then why wait to deter them until they were finished? Why not order them away in the first place?)

I'm not saying I agree with the tickets. I'm just guessing at the motivation, since the officer in question declined to say. Personally, I wouldn't think deer falling through the ice are so common that the general public needs to be warned against aiding them. But I'm from Florida, so what do I know?

Is it bad to save a human too or just wildlife?
A-hats.
moo

Is it bad to save a human too or just wildlife?
A-hats.
moo

No, and I doubt the rescuers would have received a citation for saving a human child, say. But if wild-life officers ran around saving every deer, mountain lions would starve, etc.

Frankly, what the rescuers did was very dangerous (as I said, I'm from Florida, but it's my understanding that anything involving ice on water is dangerous) and probably very stupid. Of course, this time it worked out okay, but next time, maybe the panicked deer kicks a rescuer in the head and they both drown...

I don't really know; I certainly don't claim this as my area of expertise. But I do know that wild-life lovers have to allow for the "circle of life" and can't just rescue everything we think looks cute. Nor can they or should they encourage people to take unnecessary risks.

NONE OF WHICH explains why the officer didn't step in earlier, rather than waiting until everyone was okay to issue a citation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back