723 users online (119 members and 604 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

PA - December Drownings-York, 2010

The police have called these incidents coincidental but I am starting to wonder if there may be more to the story.

3 people have drowned in their backyards, 2 in above ground pools and one in a pond, in the last 2 weeks. These 3 drownings are all within 15 miles of each other, I would be suspicious if this happened in July, but in December I am even more suspicious.

Please let me know what you think.

http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_16897950?source=most_viewed

less0305 is offline The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember my name!
    Wow - I don't know what to think!! But it does sound awfully odd for three people in two weeks to drown in the same county. Keep us informed.

It is unusual, IMHO, for three drowning deaths so close together and in December too. I haven't seen anything that could lead me to believe it was something more sinister. Of course, I would HOPE LE does their due diligence to be sure there wasn't something more involved.

The one guy was ill with chrones disease which could have incapacitated him if he fell in while fixing the pool cover.

I saw one post about the mayor, that indicated she may have also had some disabling condition. Was she on oxygen and walked with a cane?

The third guy, well he probably lost his balance when breaking the ice on the pond. I could see him doing that, breaking the ice, to be sure there was oxygen in the water for his fish. Because of how cold it was, I doubt when he fell in he had much time before he lost his strength. He may have not been able to grab onto anything to pull himself out.

As of right now, it looks to me as if they are accidents. MAYBE, time will tell if there's something else working here. Like perhaps ANOTHER drowning.

JMHO
    fran

Quote Originally Posted by crymesolver View Post
    The police have called these incidents coincidental but I am starting to wonder if there may be more to the story.

3 people have drowned in their backyards, 2 in above ground pools and one in a pond, in the last 2 weeks. These 3 drownings are all within 15 miles of each other, I would be suspicious if this happened in July, but in December I am even more suspicious.

Please let me know what you think.

http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_16897950?source=most_viewed
    I can see the pond drowning if the man was breaking the ice up. This seems to be an accident. Not much info about the female mayor, other than she had medical issues.

The man who drowned in the above-ground pool seems a bit odd. First, the wife doesn't seem to know if he slept in the house the night before he was found. Then she gets up in the morning and doesn't see him but just assumes he has gone somewhere. Wasn't his vehicle still at the home? So she leaves for shopping at 2 pm without looking for him. After reading some reader comments after this original article on his drowning,

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/yo...2T0OF9V15GL1UO

I looked his name up on the PA judicial site. http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/CP.aspx

He was due in court for sentencing on December 1, maybe for a dui. The article about the drowning was last updated on Dec 15, I'm not sure what day he died. I think it is possible he may have killed himself, but I would need to know more about what he was going through with the sentencing. His wife's inaction doesn't seem right.

Weird...I can see the pond being an accident, especially after the unusually cold weather. I don't have a pool, but friends have commented on draining, closing, covering thier pools much earlier, like October. Was there much snow/rain in York that could have made a pool cover collapse, or wind maybe? Would an above ground pool survive winter if left full of water/ice?

Quote Originally Posted by Snackcakes66 View Post
    Weird...I can see the pond being an accident, especially after the unusually cold weather. I don't have a pool, but friends have commented on draining, closing, covering thier pools much earlier, like October. Was there much snow/rain in York that could have made a pool cover collapse, or wind maybe? Would an above ground pool survive winter if left full of water/ice?

I think most people in the area drain the pool about half way, clear the lines, and put on a winter cover. The weather has been pretty average, 30's, some light snow, but there have been a few windy days.

It does make you wonder.

Even the coroner finds these drownings 'strange.'

fran

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...alls_stri.html

York County coroner calls string of wintertime drownings 'very strange'

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>

4th drowning in the month of December.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriot...860.xml&coll=1

To me, Mr. Smith's drowning is the least suspicious. He had a history of seizures and alcoholism. I also suffer from a seizure disorder and have been known to wander far and wide--ending up in some extremely strange places. It is quite common for a person to wander either before a seizure (pre-ictal) or following a seizure (post-ictal). There are also fugue states which are related to psychogenic seizures (non-epileptic) which are typically brought on by extreme emotional distress. It's actually not unusual for a person to go towards a place they dread when in a seizure state. He also could have suffered a seizure, wandered and then suffered from hypothermia. People will often seek out the coolness of water as they are freezing to death because feel unusually hot.

This death is very tragic but it sounds as if the coroner has come to the conclusion that the drowning was related to a seizure. The clothing he was wearing would also be a clue. It seems as if the man will be missed by many friends.

Rest in peace, Mr. Smith.

We've had 3 pedestrians hit and killed within a block of my home in the past four weeks, and another 3 hit and killed in small towns nearby. This is partly due to Palm Springs' aversion to street lights (trying to preserve views of the night sky), but is much higher than normal nonetheless.

But I don't think it means we have a serial killer running over people. (Only a couple of the accidents were hit and run, so we know several drivers were involved.) Every once awhile, we encounter statistical oddities.

I agree that so many December drownings in PA is odd, but the coroner can usually tell in a case of forcible drowning. It takes considerable force and struggle to hold an adult under water; the bodies should show bruises and abrasions if there were foul play in these cases. (ETA or tox screens should indicate all were drugged to unconsciousness when killed.)

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    Quote Originally Posted by crymesolver View Post
    4th drowning in the month of December.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriot...860.xml&coll=1
    Is this in the same county?

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    I'm beyond suspicious.

This is really creepy.

Someone may want to explore this site. It's the Smiley Face Killers site, but it's changing it's name to drowning mysteries or something similar. Yes I know these people don't fit the mold of that theory, but figured it's worth a check.

As soon as I see a Native American name and drowining it always takes me back to those killings. No offense to any Native American or any residents in these towns. It's just a theory. Susquehanna.

Also as far as I could see at least two of the mentioned people that drowned have ties to Maryland. However, one of them has dealt with the law. Not that this means anything.
    http://www.sfkillers.com/

Now this is getting behond conincidence, IMHO.

I HOPE LE is checking this out.

fran

I'm sure that this one is a tragic accident but I guess another drowning within that 25 mile area around York.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...re_pit_on.html