The 1997 CNN Interview

Ottavi

Reaction score
Is the video of this interview with JR & PR available anywhere?

I have googled & searched on YouTube but can't find it (except for a really short excerpt) & I really want to see it.

Thanks.

Thanks for that Becky :) - I know I should probably accept that I will need to make do with the transcript - but I figured it was definitely worth asking here, someone always seems to know something lol!

Ottavi, you can find a lot of stuff on Whynut's Youtube channel, including the 3-27-2000, Larry King Live. LKL transcripts only go back as far as 2000.

I suspect that the 1997 interview is rare because not as many people in 1997 were following the case, had the equipment to record the show (VCR? then), and have since converted whatever they had to digital so it can be uploaded to the net. I know it must exist because that one 18-second clip always comes up of Patsy that was taken from it. I haven't been able to find it either. The link that used to be at pbworks.com no longer works, and the page at CNN which shows it to have Part-1 and Part-2 of the interview has only broken links (http://www.cnn.com/US/9701/01/child.slain/index.html).

You're not the first to ask though:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49092"]CNN interview Video?? - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Also, I remember a long time ago that a poster who went by the name "Lake" claiming something was said which didn't show up in the transcript. At the time, CNN would sell copies of their shows, but not that particular one. Lake (who some believed to be Mark Olshaker) decried it all as some sort of conspiracy.

So I guess Patsy was Patricia during the beginning of the case.

When CNN sold copies of their shows, what years did it go back to? Did they sell other shows right around that date but not that January 1 show? Like every show in 1996 and 1997 is for sale but not that one for some unknown reason?

Did Lake ever say what was missing from the transcript? I'm guessing that the website with the transcript got it from CNN's website from whenever they had it up right? Or did that person type it as they were watching it? If CNN edited the transcript to leave out stuff from the televised interview, what would the reason behind that?

So I guess Patsy was Patricia during the beginning of the case.

When CNN sold copies of their shows, what years did it go back to? Did they sell other shows right around that date but not that January 1 show? Like every show in 1996 and 1997 is for sale but not that one for some unknown reason?

As I recall, several posters looked into purchasing that particular interview, if for no other reason -- just to prove Lake wrong. But CNN always responded that it was not available, which of course, seemed to add to the mystery -- and Lake's claim that it was all a grand conspiracy.

Did Lake ever say what was missing from the transcript? I'm guessing that the website with the transcript got it from CNN's website from whenever they had it up right? Or did that person type it as they were watching it? If CNN edited the transcript to leave out stuff from the televised interview, what would the reason behind that?
Lake’s claim was that in that "interview" Patsy had said something about the number of people in the house at the time JB died that would have lent credence to his claim that it was more than one juvenile who was responsible. Lake went so far as to think that the RN was even written by juveniles because of the language used in it (movie references, etc.). Not to give any more attention to his theory than necessary, but he seemed to have a great deal of disdain for the Whites, and believed that it was their son who was picked up during the Christmas present deliveries, along with his bike. (As a personal aside, if there had been a friend of BR’s in the home, I would think it more likely to be one whose name was Stine.) After the death and before the 911-call, Lake believed that this juvenile rode his bicycle home accounting for the bike tracks found in the snow around the Ramsey home on the morning of Boxing Day.

Personally, what I believe is that on the Ramsey interview, Lake had somehow remembered the part where Patsy said that there were two people who knew what happened (while she held up two fingers, making JR just about come out of his seat), and somehow he confused that with his own theory of two juveniles. (Memory is sometimes a fickle facility in that way.)

More on Lake here, and if you google “jonbenet poster lake “.

Thanks for all that info otg :)

Maybe one day it will become available - fingers crossed.

I've posted a link to the September 11, 1997 Charlie Rose interview with Ann Louise Bardach and Gregg McCrary, in the media links. Interesting to say the least.

Did anyone know that PR changed her original story on finding the RN?? She first claimed to have checked JB and found her not in bed, prior to finding the RN. Check it out, in the interview...

I've posted a link to the September 11, 1997 Charlie Rose interview with Ann Louise Bardach and Gregg McCrary, in the media links. Interesting to say the least.

I'll vouch for that. I've seen it.

Did anyone know that PR changed her original story on finding the RN??

YUP!

I remember right after this hit the news in 1996/7 that Patsy was said to have changed her story. I think after a little while, the defense lawyers got them to get their "stories" straight, and that is also a big reason why those same lawyers refused to allow Patsy and JR to be interviewed separately. The main condition they put on any LE interview with the Rs was that they would not be interviewed unless they were together.
INNOCENT people could be interviewed 1000 times, alone, together, upside down, etc. Wouldn't matter- what they said would be the same. Because when you are innocent, you don't have to have your version of events match anyone else, because you are telling the truth.

I remember right after this hit the news in 1996/7 that Patsy was said to have changed her story. I think after a little while, the defense lawyers got them to get their "stories" straight, and that is also a big reason why those same lawyers refused to allow Patsy and JR to be interviewed separately. The main condition they put on any LE interview with the Rs was that they would not be interviewed unless they were together.
INNOCENT people could be interviewed 1000 times, alone, together, upside down, etc. Wouldn't matter- what they said would be the same. Because when you are innocent, you don't have to have your version of events match anyone else, because you are telling the truth.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Did anyone know that PR changed her original story on finding the RN?? She first claimed to have checked JB and found her not in bed, prior to finding the RN. Check it out, in the interview...
Similarly, from ST's book:

It had been difficult to get information from the parents at first, but now several officers and detectives were speaking with them, pulling together elements of what had happened.

It soon became clear that Patsy Ramsey had changed a very important part of her story and that her statements about her initial movements were inconsistent. It raised some doubts when investigators compared their notes. She originally told Officer French that she checked the bedroom before finding the note on the stairs, but she later told Detective Arndt that she went downstairs and found the note first and only then hurried to the bedroom and found JonBenét gone.

An equally important point, made by John Ramsey, was repeated to three different officers. He told French, Arndt, and later Sergeant Whitson that he had personally checked the doors the previous night and all were secure. When three cops get the same information during separate conversations with the same person, I view it as a consistent story. Months later, in an official interview, Ramsey would deny saying it to any of them.

Patsy also told officers she thought the house was locked when they went to bed. No keys had been lost or stolen, John Ramsey told both French and Arndt, and the only people who had keys other than the immediate family were Patsy’s mother and his oldest son, both of whom were out of state, and the housekeeper, Linda Hoffmann-Pugh.

Officers reconstructed some of the timeline of the previous night from the parents’ recollections. John Ramsey said the family returned home from the party about ten o’clock, and he read to both children before they went to sleep. He confirmed to Arndt that he had read to JonBenét after tucking her in. He would later deny those statements as well.

The parents said that everyone was in bed by ten-thirty because they had to be up early for a flight to Michigan, where they had planned to spend a belated Christmas at their vacation home with Ramsey’s older children, then go to Florida for a cruise on Disney’s Big Red Boat.

Patsy said that JonBenét went to sleep wearing long white underwear and a red turtleneck top.

JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation, Steve Thomas, pages 24-25

I've posted a link to the September 11, 1997 Charlie Rose interview with Ann Louise Bardach and Gregg McCrary, in the media links. Interesting to say the least
Well worth watching again.
This is the interview where McCrary explains why he turned down the Ramseys. John Douglas should have turned them down as well, his actions were unforgivable.
McCrary: The first thing that is striking about the note is that it even exists. We have over 20-25,000 homicides a year in the United States. Very few involve a bogus ransom note or demand note so it's unusual that it even exists. And it's important to look at the note in a context in that sort of a context and then into the note itself so one the fact that it even exists is significant and then the content of the note itself. Very respectful - "Mr Ramsey"... "we respect your business"... and so forth ... very respectful and deferential to Mr Ramsey. Certainly the figure, the $118,000 is an oddball figure. Kidnapper ransoms are usually big fat round numbers - millions of dollars asked. And then the tone is one that lacks criminal sophistication although the writer is articulate, well spoken has good sentence structure, grammar, syntax, vocabulary all indicate a well educated offender. It's not even crazy, irrational or mentally disordered but it's staging and staging is the alteration of the crime scene. The purpose of the note is to mislead investigators, to make them think this is a kidnapper ransom when in fact it's been a homicide and the reason offenders stage crime scenes is because without it, they're the primary suspect so they have to come up with a false motive to try and mislead investigators and that really is what this note means.

Rose: A false note to mislead investigators?

McCrary: Yes

Rose: OK. Your involvement in this, the phone call, the message you received.

McCrary: Right. I really haven't had any direct involvement at all but I was called early in January by a private investigator working for an attorney for the Ramseys and they wanted to hire me to work with the Ramsey team to construct a profile, construct a crime analysis and so forth. I declined that offer, my secretary called back and declined the offer and I did that for two reasons. One, to construct a profile I'd have needed access to all the investigative materials, that is the crime scene photos, autopsy report, autopsy photos all the investigation that the police have done none of which would have been available to me working with the attorneys that wanted to hire me and second, my experience and what I know about child homicides. First of all we know there's a 12-1 probability that when we have a child murdered it is done by a family member, care-giver or someone close to the child. Only 1 in 12 is committed by a stranger. And then when we overlay the facts even as I knew them early on, that the murder occurred in the house, everything seem to have occurred in the house. The note was in the house, the note was written on a pad from the house. Everything was in the house. My instinct told me that the killer's going to be in the house or someone very, very close to the child so I didn't want to get in the position where I was in the camp of a killer and somehow inadvertently defending a child killer.

It had been difficult to get information from the parents at first, but now several officers and detectives were speaking with them, pulling together elements of what had happened.

It soon became clear that Patsy Ramsey had changed a very important part of her story and that her statements about her initial movements were inconsistent. It raised some doubts when investigators compared their notes. She originally told Officer French that she checked the bedroom before finding the note on the stairs, but she later told Detective Arndt that she went downstairs and found the note first and only then hurried to the bedroom and found JonBenét gone.

An equally important point, made by John Ramsey, was repeated to three different officers. He told French, Arndt, and later Sergeant Whitson that he had personally checked the doors the previous night and all were secure. When three cops get the same information during separate conversations with the same person, I view it as a consistent story. Months later, in an official interview, Ramsey would deny saying it to any of them.

Patsy also told officers she thought the house was locked when they went to bed. No keys had been lost or stolen, John Ramsey told both French and Arndt, and the only people who had keys other than the immediate family were Patsy’s mother and his oldest son, both of whom were out of state, and the housekeeper, Linda Hoffmann-Pugh.

Officers reconstructed some of the timeline of the previous night from the parents’ recollections. John Ramsey said the family returned home from the party about ten o’clock, and he read to both children before they went to sleep. He confirmed to Arndt that he had read to JonBenét after tucking her in. He would later deny those statements as well.

The parents said that everyone was in bed by ten-thirty because they had to be up early for a flight to Michigan, where they had planned to spend a belated Christmas at their vacation home with Ramsey’s older children, then go to Florida for a cruise on Disney’s Big Red Boat.

Patsy said that JonBenét went to sleep wearing long white underwear and a red turtleneck top.

Patsy also stated in her CNN interview...that I have posted either here...or over at FFJ awhile back...that she was heading downstairs to make coffee when she found the RN. She NEVER mentioned making coffee in any of her other interviews, like with Haney for example.

Patsy also stated in her CNN interview...that I have posted either here...or over at FFJ awhile back...that she was heading downstairs to make coffee when she found the RN. She NEVER mentioned making coffee in any of her other interviews, like with Haney for example.

I remember that too. Patsy was going downstairs to make some coffee and found the note on the stairs.

What a thoughtful intruder -- leaving the note on stairs which Patsy used as opposed to somewhere more prominent. (*sorry, I just came over with a sarcastic episode there*).

I remember that too. Patsy was going downstairs to make some coffee and found the note on the stairs.

What a thoughtful intruder -- leaving the note on stairs which Patsy used as opposed to somewhere more prominent. (*sorry, I just came over with a sarcastic episode there*).

Yes, the intruder was quite the "gentleman". He left the note on the spiral staircase for Patsy or John to see, instead of a more logical place like say....JB's bed, the last place her parents supposedly saw her, after he placed the cap back on the sharpie marker, and put it back in its holder. How thoughtful was HE? WOW! If I am ever unlucky enough to have an intruder...I sure hope that mine is as thoughtful.

=============================
Edited to add link to CNN Interview..
http://www.cnn.com/US/9701/11/slain.girl.update/transcript.html

<<SNIPPED>>

CABELL: Mrs. Ramsey -- you found the note. Was it a handwritten note, three pages?
RAMSEY, P: I didn't -- I couldn't read the whole thing I -- I just gotten up. We were on our -- it was the day after Christmas, and we were going to go visiting, and it was quite early in the morning, and I had got dressed and was on my way to the kitchen to make some coffee, and we have a back staircase from the bedroom areas, and I always come down that staircase, and I am usually the first one down. And the note was lying across the -- three pages -- across the run of one of the stair treads, and it was kind of dimly lit. It was just very early in the morning, and I started to read it, and it was addressed to John. It said "Mr. Ramsey," And it said, "we have your daughter." And I -- you know, it just was -- it just wasn't registering, and I -- I may have gotten through another sentence. I can't -- "we have your daughter." and I don't know if I got any further than that. And I immediately ran back upstairs and pushed open her door, and she was not in her bed, and I screamed for John.

<<SNIPPED>>

She also acts like the reason that she didn't read the whole thing, is because "she had just gotten up". WHAT?? It's a RANSOM NOTE!! She was just too tired to read it all, I guess. Of course, she didn't have to read it considering she is the one that wrote it....she already knew what it said.

Thank you so much Cynic. I hate to say this, but I have never read any of the books on this case...lol.:iamashamed: They are on my list for Santa, and he assures me that I have been a very good girl this year.

Again thank you, I begin to wonder if you just have well kept records or if you're really a computer (LOL) Just kidding.

Yes, the intruder was quite the "gentleman". He left the note on the spiral staircase for Patsy or John to see, instead of a more logical place like say....JB's bed, the last place her parents supposedly saw her, after he placed the cap back on the sharpie marker, and put it back in its holder. How thoughtful was HE? WOW! If I am ever unlucky enough to have an intruder...I sure hope that mine is as thoughtful.

I agree.

I remember reading these details a while back and immediately was struck with a sense that someone was trying to set up Linda Hoffmann-Pugh. I don't think it was a coincidence that the ransom note was allegedly found on the stairs where Linda Hoffmann-Pugh used to leave Patsy's bags. I also don't think it was a coincidence that Burke's knife was left out for display too -- the same knife that Linda Hoffmann-Pugh confiscated and was privy to knowing where it was.

Part of me thinks that perhaps Patsy said she found the note on the stairs as it would inevitably come up about Linda Hoffmann-Pugh.If Patsy wrote the note why specifically say she found it on the stairs -- a detail she included right from the get-go -- was she being sly?

I agree.

I remember reading these details a while back and immediately was struck with a sense that someone was trying to set up Linda Hoffmann-Pugh. I don't think it was a coincidence that the ransom note was left on the stairs where Linda Hoffmann-Pugh used to leave Patsy's bags. I also don't think it was a coincidence that Burke's knife was left out for display too -- the same knife that Linda Hoffmann-Pugh confiscated and was privy to knowing where it was.

Part of me thinks that perhaps Patsy said she found the note on the stairs as it would inevitably come up about Linda Hoffmann-Pugh.If Patsy wrote the note why specifically say she found it on the stairs -- a detail she included right from the get-go.

They were throwing anybody and everybody under the bus, and didn't care who got ran over. I agree about LHP though. Patsy said in her CNN interview that she ALWAYS used those spiral stairs, to come downstairs with. How would an intruder KNOW that?? What if there really had of been an intruder...and Patsy had of used the other set of stairs....then what???

They were throwing anybody and everybody under the bus, and didn't care who got ran over. I agree about LHP though. Patsy said in her CNN interview that she ALWAYS used those spiral stairs, to come downstairs with. How would an intruder KNOW that?? What if there really had of been an intruder...and Patsy had of used the other set of stairs....then what???

Exactly!

Patsy was a sly ol' woman! She was throwing mud and hoping it stuck to someone.

Why would an intruder, if they did write the note, leave it on obscure stairs in the house? The note had a ransom thus it was predicated upon the Ramsey's supposedly following instructions -- the 'intruder(s)' would call later on the 26th to fulfil the ransom etc. An intruder could not take the chance that the people he was targeting could miss the ransom note -- and leaving it on obscure stairs is not a clever decision.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back