6th grade boy dies playing the choking game

So terribly sad.... :(
Poor little boy.

How incredibly sad. Only 11.

prayers for his family, siblings, friends and all who loved him.

I'm so terribly afraid of this game. My son is only 8 and I have tried to talk to him about this. I think sometimes at this young age they need reminders.... It has been several months since I talked to my son about this but will have another talk to him about it today.

This is just awful. Thanks for posting it. Im going to go home and talk to my three kids about this "game". I wish that I had some idea of how its played so I know what to watch for or listen for. Just another reason I havent let any of my kids near the internet yet....Im terrified of them learning to play "games" like this.

My kids are 4, 5 & 6... And we just had a talk about it... And I think we will every couple of months. So so very sad;(

This is just awful. Thanks for posting it. Im going to go home and talk to my three kids about this "game". I wish that I had some idea of how its played so I know what to watch for or listen for. Just another reason I havent let any of my kids near the internet yet....Im terrified of them learning to play "games" like this.

It's a variation of choking until someone passes out or is near passing out. From what I have read it is an acceptable way to feel high and is more prominent with kids who wouldn't risk using drugs.

Kids become addicted to the high feeling and sometimes play this game themself by tying something around their neck, later to be found deceased.

There are a few other threads regarding the choking game.

It is all very very sad. It really breaks my heart for this family.

My friends and I did this when we were kids, probably about 10-12 years old. My older brother told me about it and we tried it. It wasn't choking it was taking a deep breath, standing against a wall and someone pushing on your chest until you pass out. I never knew the dangers of this (but it seemed pretty stupid at the time). We did it once or twice. Then someone fell and hit their head on the pool table. That scared us and we didn't do it again. I really can't even remember what the appeal of it was other then it seemed "cool" to make someone pass out. I'm so happy non of us got hurt!

I live in north-suburban Detroit, so this is yet another local news story that is quite troublesome, especially during the holiday season: The missing Skelton brothers from Morenci, the tragic accident that took the lives of a professional athlete's sister and cousin, Amber Alert on the little girl from East Lansing (who was located yesterday!), a Norovirus outbreak at a senior facility not far from my home.

It saddens me to know that so many people are suffering during this joyful season. My thoughts and prayers are with these families, and I hope that being surrounded by loved ones brings them comfort and peace.

My friends and I did this when we were kids,probably about 10-12 years old. My older brother told me about it and we tried it. It wasn't choking it was taking a deep breath, standing against a wall and someone pushing on your chest until you pass out. I never knew the dangers of this (but it seemed pretty stupid at the time). We did it once or twice. Then someone fell and hit their head on the pool table. That scared us and we didn't do it again. I really can't even remember what the appeal of it was other then it seemed "cool" to make someone pass out. I'm so happy non of us got hurt!

Thanks for sharing your story. The first time in my life that I ever knew someone who died was a second-grader at my small parochial school. I was in 4th grade at the time, and the entire student body went to the local funeral home (run by parish member) to pay our respects to the boy who had accidentally hung himself on the backyard clothesline. Since that time, any mention of "hanging" gives me the heebie-jeebies. Hanging scenes in films are particularly disturbing, and I close my eyes or otherwise avoid the gruesome spectacle until it's over.

Hopefully, parents of youngsters will talk to their children about the dangers in these "games" and let them know that there is nothing "cool" about endangering one's life or the lives of others.

My friends and I did this when we were kids, probably about 10-12 years old. My older brother told me about it and we tried it. It wasn't choking it was taking a deep breath, standing against a wall and someone pushing on your chest until you pass out. I never knew the dangers of this (but it seemed pretty stupid at the time). We did it once or twice. Then someone fell and hit their head on the pool table. That scared us and we didn't do it again. I really can't even remember what the appeal of it was other then it seemed "cool" to make someone pass out. I'm so happy non of us got hurt!

I was ten 47 years ago, which shows you how long this game as been around. When we played it, someone stood behind you, with his arms around your chest, and held you tightly until you passed out. IIRC, you started by bending over so the blood rushed to your head and then stood up suddenly for the "squeezing."

In any event, that method was slightly safer in that the "squeezer" always got tired and let go before death ensued.

IIRC, I didn't think of it as being "pleasurable" so much as I was curious about what it was like to pass out. (Even in those days, characters were frequently "knocked out" after a punch on TV shows.)

But a psychiatrist might take a different view. This "game" does seem to be common among children on the verge of puberty.

(P.S. thanks for the reminder. My eldest grandson is 11. I'm going to mention this to my daughter today.)

I must have lived in a cave, as I have never heard of this until reading these stories here and don't remember anything like it when I was a child.

I don't know if there is a way to make kids afraid of something until it hits close to home, unfortunately...and not always then.

You can go to you tube and look it up. Don't type the choking game, but pass out game will probably get you several videos of people doing it. Then report each one you watch as abuse so they will be taken down. Very, very dangerous game that is costing several young kids their lives.

Oh my gosh. This is so heartbreaking... that poor kid... his poor family. I cannot imagine what they're going through right now. Such a senseless tragedy, especially this time of year. :shakehead:

Prayers for all who loved him. :(

I was ten 47 years ago, which shows you how long this game as been around. When we played it, someone stood behind you, with his arms around your chest, and held you tightly until you passed out. IIRC, you started by bending over so the blood rushed to your head and then stood up suddenly for the "squeezing."

In any event, that method was slightly safer in that the "squeezer" always got tired and let go before death ensued.

IIRC, I didn't think of it as being "pleasurable" so much as I was curious about what it was like to pass out. (Even in those days, characters were frequently "knocked out" after a punch on TV shows.)

But a psychiatrist might take a different view. This "game" does seem to be common among children on the verge of puberty.

(P.S. thanks for the reminder. My eldest grandson is 11. I'm going to mention this to my daughter today.)

This is how I remember it too. However, we did it to have "visions."

Scary and sad that kids are dying from this-- thanks for the heads-up.

Oh, Nursebeeme...how heartbreaking for your family and Brandon's. I have heard of this game before but never really thought about it in terms of my children- one 22, the others 11, 9, 7. You are right, it is time to have that talk. You'd think the talks about sex, stranger danger, drugs, alcohol and cigarettes would cover it. I've talked to them about sniffing glue, and other toxic substances. Thank you for reminding me about this important subject.

It's actually amazing to me that this is still going on. Thank you for remindingus and my heart and prayers are with you and your son. What a terrible time of year to deal with this tragedy.

You can go to you tube and look it up. Don't type the choking game, but pass out game will probably get you several videos of people doing it. Then report each one you watch as abuse so they will be taken down. Very, very dangerous game that is costing several young kids their lives.

Thank you. Great idea, Casey.

I must have lived in a cave, as I have never heard of this until reading these stories here and don't remember anything like it when I was a child.

I don't know if there is a way to make kids afraid of something until it hits close to home, unfortunately...and not always then.

I may have lived in a cave, too. At least, I did learn about huffing in drug education class. I just heard about the choking game recently from here. I really wish I would never hear about this happening again. It's so sad, and the kids have no idea how dangerous it is.

thanks for all your prayers and thoughts. I will share them tomorrow with Brandon's parents at the funeral.

we are heartbroken.

Oh, Nurse...I have been sitting here, staring at my laptop, trying to figure out what to say....Brandon's story is just so sad on every level. I am so sorry for your son to lose a friend, especially in this horrendous way....this breaks my heart to pieces.

Brandon's parents are very giving and compassionate as they have donated his organs. What a loving gesture and I hope that gives them some measure of peace, knowing that he is helping others through this generous donation.

Once again, my condolences to you, your son and Brandon's family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back