.Fried Fish May Explain 'Stroke Belt' Mystery

noZme

Reaction score
well duh... here in the South we call it "country cooking", food like everyone's grandmother served. (Paula Deen's style is the norm, fry, add butter & pour on some cream.) Fresh-water fishing is a leisure sport for one class of people & neccessity to feed the family for another. About half of the restuarants in small towns specialize in fried fish with fried accompaniments (according to a recent unofficial survey by a group of my friends at a dinner party). Like so many issues, education is the key.... but it's hard to change patterns that have been around for generations.

Too much fried fish may contribute to the high rate of stroke in America's "stroke belt," according to a new study.
The results showed that people living in the stroke belt - including residents of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas and Louisiana - were about 30 percent more likely to eat two or more servings of fried fish every week than those living in the rest of the country, the researchers said.
And blacks who are known to have an increased risk of stroke regardless of where they live, were more than 3.5 times more likely to eat two or more servings of fried fish per week than whites.
Inhabitants of the stroke belt are 20 percent more likely to die from stroke than those living in the rest of the country. And those in the stroke "buckle" - an area of the stroke belt that includes the coastal plains of North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia - are 40 percent more likely to die from stroke, said study researcher Fadi Nahab of Emory University in Atlanta.
Fried fish, Nahab said, may be contributing to these racial and geographic disparities.
Eating fish can be healthy - fish are key sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which previous studies have shown to be associated with reduced risk of heart attack and stroke. The [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]American [COLOR=#366388 !important]Heart [/COLOR][COLOR=#366388 !important]Association[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] recommends people consume at least two meals containing fish per week.
However, there is evidence that frying fish reduces their amount of omega-3 fatty acids, Nahab said. Frying is also associated with an increase in the food's fat and calorie content. more at link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience...WMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA2ZyaWVkZmlzaG1heQ--

Well, heck, what's fried seafood without the fried hushpuppies, fried okra, fried green tomatoes, and French fries to go with it? And for heaven's sake, don't forget the tartar sauce. :)

And if the fried fish doesn't kill you, all of that juicy, delicious barbecued pork will do the trick. :lick:

i dont think this is from frying so much as the salt added. fish and etc usually fried in vegetable oil or peanut oil, so no cholesterol there. but omg the salt added is awful. we have pretty much given up eating out at all, because we dont use much salt at home anymore because uncle has high blood pressure. after a few weeks of low salt diet, most restaurant foods are inedible because of so much salt.

Interesting. I'd never seen this before.

Note to self,..... only one fried meal a week!

:)
fran

Hey I'm not contesting that study but how about people who eat right, exercise, live as a healthy a lifestyle as possible and drop the heck dead?

Stress kills ya. Maybe fried fish does as well, but stress does it.

BTW, what's up with the fish? Isn't there mercury in the fish? Isn't there Lord knows what in the catfish y'all have down South? Bottom feeders and all? What about your mudbugs?

My nephew tells me since he's been down South a whole 8 months now he sees alot of people eating them some Pringles by the bunches.:sick:

O.K. I gotta go eat a cheese steak and some crab fries and have a Tastykake and I so will have my mustard pretzel in the morning. Might as well be a macrobiotic to Paul Dean!:D

Better health Y'all I love having youse guys around healthy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back