1022 users online (212 members and 810 guests)  

Websleuths News

SC - John Ankeny, 20, shot to death, Aiken, 20 Dec 2010

This 911 call was made by the killer to tell the local Sheriff's Dept. that he has just killed someone. Aiken County released a 911 cal from Gary Jarrell Means who had just killed John R. Ankeny, 20 years old from Beech Island, SC. The call was made about 9 p.m. Monday night (12/20/10). Authorities went to Means' home at 213 Columbia Ave. near downtown Aiken, where they found Mr. Ankeny dead at the scene. Not sure what the relationship was, or the motive yet, but the killler sounds just pitiful on the phone!!! I bet drugs and/or alcohol were involved, or perhaps mental illness. Not often that I feel any sort of sympathy for a killer, but this 911 call is placed from someone who is definitely upset and remorseful. My heart breaks for everyone involved in this case. I must be getting soft in my old age. I will have to work on that.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/ai...g?v=1293125921
    Last edited by Reannan; 12-24-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: To post the link! Duhh!!!

Heartbreaking all around.

Reann, I must be getting soft too 'cause I feel extemely sorry for this guy. It's apparent that he's beside himself with grief. Wow, first time I ever remember feeling sorry for a killer. Hope it turns out that it was in self defense!
    Last edited by joeskidbeck; 12-24-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    "This Time We Get it Right!"

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary.
    For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Stuart Chase

yeah I gotta say I feel bad for him too ...

Hmmmm...... well, that was different......

No cold blooded killing here, I would guess. Very sad.

http://www2.wagt.com/news/2010/dec/2...er-ar-1249436/

UPDATE:

In custody is 23-year-old Gary Jarrell Means, of Aiken. Means called ADPS from the parking lot of the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office and told officers where the crime occurred. At that time, officers responded to the scene and discovered the victim inside of the residence.

Means has been charged with Murder and Possession of a Weapon during the Commission of a Violent Crime.

how horrible. I am interested in the details. I know he did wrong but he clearly knows it too. I got tears in my eyes cause I just cant help it for someone who so obviously is grieving.

There have been no updates as to motive for this tragic murder. The two guys were co-workers, and had spent a lot of time with each other's family according to this article. The article also has a picture of the man who was killed and comments from his family. They have lost a loved one here at Christmas! Surely, drugs or mental illness will have to factor into this murder.

http://www.wrdw.com/crimeteam12/head...112283469.html

Could it have been an accidental discharge of a weapon? This guy sounds so torn up by what has happened, even saying he is going crazy......he drives himself to the sheriff's office.....it just doesn't sound like a MURDER to me.

I don't know, maybe the guy is a world class actor, or maybe his tears were for himself, but I am convinced he was very upset about what had happened to his friend.

EDIT: After re-listening to the 911 call, I read the little news blurb below it which says the victim was shot multiple times with a small caliber weapon. I guess that would argue that it was NOT an accidental discharge.

He said that he was going crazy... to me he doesn't sound exactly remorseful, but freaked out by his actions. At least he did the right thing and turned himself in...

Was surprised to see "home" pop up on the boards. He didn't have far to go to turn himself in... he was less than a mile away from the city PD and the county SD.