SC - John Ankeny, 20, shot to death, Aiken, 20 Dec 2010

Reannan

Reaction score
This 911 call was made by the killer to tell the local Sheriff's Dept. that he has just killed someone. Aiken County released a 911 cal from Gary Jarrell Means who had just killed John R. Ankeny, 20 years old from Beech Island, SC. The call was made about 9 p.m. Monday night (12/20/10). Authorities went to Means' home at 213 Columbia Ave. near downtown Aiken, where they found Mr. Ankeny dead at the scene. Not sure what the relationship was, or the motive yet, but the killler sounds just pitiful on the phone!!! I bet drugs and/or alcohol were involved, or perhaps mental illness. Not often that I feel any sort of sympathy for a killer, but this 911 call is placed from someone who is definitely upset and remorseful. My heart breaks for everyone involved in this case. I must be getting soft in my old age. I will have to work on that.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/aiken/2010-12-23/aiken-release-911-recording-slaying?v=1293125921

Reann, I must be getting soft too 'cause I feel extemely sorry for this guy. It's apparent that he's beside himself with grief. Wow, first time I ever remember feeling sorry for a killer. Hope it turns out that it was in self defense!

yeah I gotta say I feel bad for him too ...

Hmmmm...... well, that was different......

No cold blooded killing here, I would guess. Very sad.

http://www2.wagt.com/news/2010/dec/...stigators-looking-possible-murder-ar-1249436/

UPDATE:

In custody is 23-year-old Gary Jarrell Means, of Aiken. Means called ADPS from the parking lot of the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office and told officers where the crime occurred. At that time, officers responded to the scene and discovered the victim inside of the residence.

Means has been charged with Murder and Possession of a Weapon during the Commission of a Violent Crime.

how horrible. I am interested in the details. I know he did wrong but he clearly knows it too. I got tears in my eyes cause I just cant help it for someone who so obviously is grieving.

Could it have been an accidental discharge of a weapon? This guy sounds so torn up by what has happened, even saying he is going crazy......he drives himself to the sheriff's office.....it just doesn't sound like a MURDER to me.

I don't know, maybe the guy is a world class actor, or maybe his tears were for himself, but I am convinced he was very upset about what had happened to his friend.

EDIT: After re-listening to the 911 call, I read the little news blurb below it which says the victim was shot multiple times with a small caliber weapon. I guess that would argue that it was NOT an accidental discharge.

He said that he was going crazy... to me he doesn't sound exactly remorseful, but freaked out by his actions. At least he did the right thing and turned himself in...

Was surprised to see "home" pop up on the boards. He didn't have far to go to turn himself in... he was less than a mile away from the city PD and the county SD.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrigokurita
Back