Safe Haven laws work;) Baby "Noel"

mommy23

There is no original thought....
Reaction score
Just thought this was nice to see a baby "saved" best word I can find. I hope she and her Mother have a lifetime of happiness, and prayers for their entire family on this Christmas;)

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Baby_Surrendered_at_Fire_Station_named_Noel_112454739.html

Snipped by me~~~~~~~

Los Angeles firefighters received an unusual Christmas delivery at a downtown station this year — a baby.

With a small bundle in her arms, a woman went to a station near the city's Exposition Park on Friday afternoon, telling firefighters she wanted to give the child up for adoption, fire spokesman Erik Scott said in a statement Saturday.

The woman, 27, said her daughter was born six hours earlier, Scott said.

"She was still a little red, so she was fairly new. Well-nourished, well-cared for," fire Capt. Scott Hilton said. "She was awake. She was crying a little bit and moving around."

Thanks so much for posting this mommy23.

Welcome to the world baby "Noel" and thank you to her mommy for such a generous selfless act.

I noticed her birth mom is 27. I pray her act is seen and heard by much younger mommy's too.

God Bless baby "Noel" and her birth mother for her loving selfless act.

Thank you for the story it is refreshing to hear that a mother had enough sense to give the baby to someone responsible and realize she was doing what was best for herself as well as little Noel. Now the mother can sleep in peace knowing the baby is safe and will end up with someone who really wants a child. I hope she realizes she gave hope to 3 people, herself, the baby, and the adoptive parent or parents. Someone out there is going to love you Noel with arms wide open: so I would like to dedicate this song to Noel.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/creed/videos/view/with-arms-wide-open--2149476

It worked. It worked!! What a delightful Christmas gift to all of us.

She fed the baby. What a heartbreaking thought but mothers often know best. Bless that woman. Please help her find peace.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101225...DeW5fbW9zdF9wb3B1bGFyBHNsawNuZXdib3JuZ2lybGQ-

Newborn girl dropped off at LA fire station

"Los Angeles firefighters received an unusual Christmas delivery at a downtown station this year — a baby. With a small bundle in her arms, a woman went to a station near the city's Exposition Park on Friday afternoon, telling firefighters she wanted to give the child up for adoption, fire spokesman Erik Scott said in a statement Saturday.

The woman, 27, said her daughter was born six hours earlier, Scott said.
"She was still a little red, so she was fairly new. Well-nourished, well-cared for," fire Capt. Scott Hilton said. "She was awake. She was crying a little bit and moving around."

more at link

Great story. Merry Christmas !! May this child grow up in loving protective arms and learn to honor the woman who wanted a better life for her baby.

Misizzy thank you so much for this wonderful yet sad news and pinkfly I love your sentiment about honoring the woman. She has a good heart. All my best to Noel.

I do think that it is really great that some places allow moms that know they can't handle a baby to drop the baby off at a safe place, but I don't think that it should be publicized. If a woman had the courage to do what is right for the baby, then the privacy should be respected. The woman might not want people knowing that she dropped the baby off and if someone she knows questions her no longer being pregnant and no baby, then she shouldn't have to worry with them wondering if that was her baby. What a wonderful name for the baby. Hope all goes well for all of them.

Being the proud mother of eleven adopted children, my honor of my children's birthmothers knows no bounds. Having given birth to three sons, I can't imagine being able to follow through with this plan but each human being knows their own limits. Even though I want to respect this woman's privacy, I also want to make certain that other mothers who are wavering know that warm and gentle and safe arms await at Safe Havens. There is a wonderful alternative to abandonment.

This story was my celebration of the Christmas holiday. Possibly the woman will decide she wants her child back or this might be the right choice for her. Either way, a child is safe and healthy and protected tonight. That's what it's all about. My prayers go out to her as I know she must be grieving.

I have a 25 year old daughter whose mother walked into an adoption agency in Korea and sat down and nursed her 6 month old for the last time. She then signed the papers to have the baby placed with an American family. That 25 year old is my daughter and I thank God for her mother's love every day. It takes my breath away to think of the sacrifice.

I hope this baby girl grows up knowing that her mother loved her enough to make a plan for her.

What a wonderful story for today! Saying a prayer for the mother who did the right thing,God bless mother,and child!

I am so proud of this lady. I am in awe of her strength and admire her for making such a courageous decison. I hope life for her and the other children is happy.

I want to make very clear that this is a huge undertaking--a life changing choice. A child placed for adoption always carries a "wound"...known as the primal wound. A mother who relinquishes a child also carries a wound. This is a choice never to be taken lightly.

However, that said, this choice is a far more loving one than the alternative. I couldn't do it. But my heart goes out to the many women who do. And after all, my reality is not her reality. Without these choices, I wouldn't have the family I do.

I just hope that the Safe Havens are manned by people who can not only take custody of a child in need but who can offer assistance to a mother who is in despair. I want this woman to know of every service available to her so that she can make the choice that best fits her needs and her child's.

Bless that mother tonight. May she have solace knowing that the little one is safe. And bless the firefighters who happened to be on duty. They won't soon forget this Christmas.

Normally, I would say that I agree with the poster that said they should keep these things private. However, I see this story coming up on Facebook with comments like, "This should be available in all states," and "what a wonderful law for CA to have."

All fifty states have a variation of the safe haven law, and no one knows it. Imagine the guilt of a panicked teenage mother who thinks there is no other option but to throw the baby in a dumpster. Imagine her guilt years later, when she learns that there was a way she could have had her life and the baby could had theirs. So yes, publicize it, while giving the mothers the opportunity to keep their anonymity. Scream it from the rooftops, if that's what it takes to let everyone else know that this resource is available to every single mother and child in this country.

Happy tears, what an oddity for this forum - what a Christmas blessing!

Welcome to the world Noel! May every dream your mommy has for you come thru ten fold and yours as well - you were surely blessed to have such a special Birthday and such a loving mommy who chose LIFE for you!

I read this last night... brought tears to my eyes for such a happy ending. It took alot for that mother to do that - to walk into a fire station and hand over her baby, knowing she was subjecting herself to being judged. An easier choice would have been to find a dark alley and a dumpster. But she was strong enough and had enough love for her baby to do the best thing she knew of... I know it was still not an easy decision. I wish I could hug her. (((Noel's mom)))

(ETA: I think giving her age is still TMI for the public.)

I agree, her age should not have been given, as well, one article said she had 3 other children. It should only say "a mother" and thats it, no other identifying words! But I too like that more people are learning this is an acceptable option. This story might just save 1 more baby in 2011. And 1 more is getting closer to our common goal, to save the children!

I do think that it is really great that some places allow moms that know they can't handle a baby to drop the baby off at a safe place, but I don't think that it should be publicized. If a woman had the courage to do what is right for the baby, then the privacy should be respected. The woman might not want people knowing that she dropped the baby off and if someone she knows questions her no longer being pregnant and no baby, then she shouldn't have to worry with them wondering if that was her baby. What a wonderful name for the baby. Hope all goes well for all of them.
This is a wonderful story but I totally agree that it should not have been publicised. In this case, we have a mature lady who had experiene with children. My concern is about the teenagers who have this option but don't choose it because they don't want it sprawled across the headlines.

This is a wonderful story but I totally agree that it should not have been publicised. In this case, we have a mature lady who had experiene with children. My concern is about the teenagers who have this option but don't choose it because they don't want it sprawled across the headlines.

But how are they supposed to know about it on the first place, let alone make a determination as to whether to use the resource? I'm not being snarky, and I agree that they may have released a little too much info on this one, such as her situation with her other kids, but how do we get the word out there that Safe Haven is available?

There are trained, educated people that advocate for children and families every day that don't know this a nationwide initiative...how is that young mother supposed to know either?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane
Back