What could be this new development that warrants appointing a second DA to the case?

SmoothOperator

Sadly what connects all these puzzles is that ther
Reaction score
The district attorney's office has an extra prosecutor assigned to the case through June. "Barring an unexpected evidentiary development," said Norm Frink, Multnomah County chief deputy district attorney, "the investigation is going to continue for months."

Much more at this link..
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/12/multnomah_county_sheriff_dan_s_2.html

Wow an unexpected evidentiary development that warrants an extra DA assigned.. Am glad to see there is still forward movement in Kyron's case..

Any ideas on what possibly this new development could be? IMO it would have to be of some substance for it to warrant the appointment of an extra DA through June 2011..

ETA~sorry for typos.. was heading out the door when posting this..when anyone has a chance would you be so kind as to correct the typos in the title? Thanks in advance, mods!

It does not sound as though they have anything new; it sounds like they are trying really hard to find something new and using all possible manpower to do so...

Yeah, I read this

"Barring an unexpected evidentiary development," said Norm Frink, Multnomah County chief deputy district attorney, "the investigation is going to continue for months."

to mean that unless unexpected evidence comes to light, they are nowhere near having a case :(

The district attorney's office has an extra prosecutor assigned to the case through June. "Barring an unexpected evidentiary development," said Norm Frink, Multnomah County chief deputy district attorney, "the investigation is going to continue for months."

Much more at this link..
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/12/multnomah_county_sheriff_dan_s_2.html

Wow an unexpected evidentiary development that warrants an extra DA assigned.. Am glad to see there is still forward movement in Kyron's case..

Any ideas on what possibly this new development could be? IMO it would have to be of some substance for it to warrant the appointment of an extra DA through June 2011..

ETA~sorry for typos.. was heading out the door when posting this..when anyone has a chance would you be so kind as to correct the typos in the title? Thanks in advance, mods!

BBM

I think the use of the word "barring" (which I bolded above) means that there has not been any unusual evidentiary developments. That matters stand much as they have for the last six months or so.

I believe this is the equivalent of a Hail Mary pass. They're bringing in a fresh set of eyes to look at what they have and hope that the fresh perspective will guide the investigation in more productive directions.

Much more at this link..

Maybe they need another prosecutor for the MFH? Or if they feel more than one person is involved. There must be a reason.

Maybe they need another prosecutor for the MFH? Or if they feel more than one person is involved. There must be a reason.

If the case weren't moving, there'd be no use for an additional prosecutor. Therefore, I think that your latter guess is right... probably looking at charging someone in addition to Terri.

If I were Dede, I'd be trying to find a friend to water my plants starting this spring.

Or a 2nd ADA could be to handle the other crimes, unrelated to Kyron, that have popped up while investigating this case...

Or a 2nd ADA could be to handle the other crimes, unrelated to Kyron, that have popped up while investigating this case...

Not what the article says. Says an additional prosecutor was assigned to Kyron's case.

All I can think of is sheriff Stanton thinks there are two people involved.What it means I do not know.Two people on trial?

This article was published Dec 4 with a revision Dec 5.

Yet the sentence about an extra prosecutor being added to the case slipped by everyone. Glad SmoothOperator caught it--it's a significant fact that hadn't yet been discussed at WS.

The case has an additional prosecutor? The evidence must be weak and they have their work cut out for them. Being said, the additional prosecutor will stay thru June unless they get some surprise evidence so as not to need the additional prosecutor.

Could there be evidence, just no body or no proof that Kyron was taken elsewhere, and the DA's office is afraid of losing the case? The evidence is somewhere between the time the last adult saw Kryon at the school and when the school bus driver realized about 3:30 - 3:45 that Kyron was not there.

Here is the paragraph containing the quote in question:

"A grand jury has heard from at least 40 witnesses and continues to meet intermittently. The district attorney's office has an extra prosecutor assigned to the case through June. "Barring an unexpected evidentiary development," said Norm Frink, Multnomah County chief deputy district attorney, "the investigation is going to continue for months."

IMHO, the extra prosecutor and the possibility of an "unexpected evidentiary development" are two totally separate issues.

It does not surprise me that there is a second prosecutor assigned to "the biggest criminal investigation in the county's history." (direct quote from paragraph one of the same article.)

Right now, that second prosecutor is set to work on the case through June.

Then, totally separate from the statement about the extra prosecutor, Frink, the chief deputy district attorney says, "Barring an unexpected evidentiary development, the investigation is going to continue for months."

1. So, we have a second prosecutor on the case right now through June.

2. IF there is no evidentiary development in this case in the near future (presuming he means by Feb. 1st and/or June -- context is not clear) the investigation is going to continue for months.

The investigation is ongoing and will continue to be ongoing unless there is unexpected evidentiary development.

Two separate issues.

The news article, like so many in this case, is unfortunately poorly written in parts, especially the part contained in the paragraphs we are discussing.

Yes, we can discuss what this second prosecutor may be doing -- and we can hope for something new that will be revealed by Feb. 1st. We can also hope that if nothing big happens by June that the second prosecutor can stay on the case if it is still warranted and funds are supplied.

However, as of this moment we unfortunately do not have any new evidentiary developments -- at least any LE is willing to share.

All I can think of is sheriff Stanton thinks there are two people involved.What it means I do not know.Two people on trial?

DDS & TH perhaps. Anywhoo, I take the second DA add as a good sign :)

MOO

Mel

If the case weren't moving, there'd be no use for an additional prosecutor. Therefore, I think that your latter guess is right... probably looking at charging someone in addition to Terri.

If I were Dede, I'd be trying to find a friend to water my plants starting this spring.

BBM

Oh how I wish I could find an emoticon to depict what popped into my head as I read your post for DD's garden and a hydration need...just picture what my three Yorkies could contribute...;)

There is no new development. This is very old news. The DA's office made this request back in July. It was discussed at the time, so I'm not sure who it slipped past. Maybe it only appears to have slipped past now that it's being misplaced in the timeline and given some kind of special significance related to recent developments (or lack thereof). And by the way, the importance of "through June" is because that's the end of the fiscal year.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/multnomah_county_sheriff_dan_s.html

"The district attorney's office will receive $196,034 to hire a deputy district attorney and one investigator through the remainder of this fiscal year to help backfill the work of six more seasoned prosecutors and three investigators dedicated to the Horman investigation."

Maybe we have to wait till Feb, as stated in the media acc to Stanton?

I don't believe LE would hold off one second on an arrest if they felt they could prosecute successfully...am hoping of course that they can say something definitive soon, but I don't believe there is a date on it, other than when they will ask for more money, which is bound to be needed regardless.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back