1218 users online (255 members and 963 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canada - Trevor Rankin, 38, Charlottetown PEI, 24 Dec 2010

An Ottawa man visiting family in Charlottetown has been missing since Christmas Eve.

Trevor Rankin, a 38-year-old engineer at Natural Resources Canada, had gone out for a drink with his nephew, Josh, until the early hours of Dec. 24 and has not been seen since.
    The two had gone to Hunter's Ale House, then ISE's Bar in downtown Charlottetown. They had planned to take a taxi home, but became separated in the crowded bar. When Trevor failed to meet him outside the pub to take a cab home as planned, Josh assumed he'd made other plans, Sharon said.

This one definitely sounds odd. Trevor is employed by Natural Resources Canada in Ottawa. He is an expert in geomatics, an information-technology field that includes tools for satellite positioning, cartography and other spatial-positioning tasks. His girlfriend, a high school guidance counsellor, was visiting her family in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario, but was going to join him in PEI for New Years.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...266/story.html

I wonder if they've pinged his phone yet...

That makes NO sense. Why would they make plans to share a cab, then change plans without talking. I'd like to see Trevor's phone records. Surely the nephew called him repeatedly after being separated. Surely he called to verify that Trevor had left without him/had made his way back home safely.

I'm not saying the nephew is lying. I'm saying that this story---as it is written---is very hinky. imho.

This article almost sounds like they went to different bars and were going to meet up again to catch a taxi back home....but I'm just not sure. It still isn't clear what actually happened. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edwa...a-man-584.html

way more detail here: http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Lo...g-Ottawa-man/1

He was last seen by a cab driver at 2am. The driver says he believes Rankin was headed to another bar. Rankin left a message for his girlfriend, and hasn't been seen/heard from since.

Josh thought they were to meet up and share a ride home....but Trevor failed to show and Josh assumed he made other plans for a ride, so he left without Trevor. Trevor was going to his mother's house, so Josh wouldn't have known until later that Trevor never showed.

Really sad and scary. This looks bad.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../16683711.html

Muto arrived in Charlottetown Sunday to help her boyfriend's family with the search and is currently staying at a hotel down the street from the family home. They have been canvassing at the hospital and putting up posters near the last place he was seen — the corner of Queen and Dorchester streets, around 2 a.m. on Dec. 24.

She keeps trying Rankin's cellphone but it just goes straight to voice mail, perhaps because the battery is dead.

"There's been absolutely no developments," Muto said on Monday. "The police tracked that he used his credit card to pay for a taxi at 2 a.m. on the 24th.

"It's distressing, that's for sure."

She said the cab driver, who has spoken to police, assumed Rankin was headed to the Canton Cafe, which usually stays open until 3 a.m. That's one of the places where Muto was headed Monday to ask questions and put up a poster with her boyfriend's picture on it.
    I don't find it surprising that Trevor and his nephew went to different bars part way through the night. Charlottetown is fairly small and I'm guessing that Trevor would bump into old friends all home for the holidays. Trevor's nephew would have a different circle of friends due to their age difference.

And, obviously, Trevor wasn't with Josh at 2:00, based on what I infer from the reference to the cab driver's comments in the above article.

This just sounds so odd for him to disappear in a place like Charolottetown...which is quite safe and laid back.

Wow, very strange story. 38-year old men are not who comes to mind when you think of victims, when they are out on their own late at night. I suppose he could have been mugged? But then where is he?

I hate asking, but is this area near water?
    Just my opinion, of course.

Checking Google maps, and the corner of Queens and Dorchester Streets is very close to the waterside. Few hundred meters only.

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockh View Post
    Checking Google maps, and the corner of Queens and Dorchester Streets is very close to the waterside. Few hundred meters only.
    That was my first thought too. We've seen too many of these cases where a guy disappears at night and is found to have accidentally fallen in the local river. Sometimes it takes days to find him. I hope for the best for Trevor and his family.

I wonder if there are surveillance cameras at the Canton Cafe? He apparently ran into trouble somewhere in the vicinity the cab driver left him at.

Is there any water in that area? (I'm almost afraid to ask.)

Sorry Cluciano....I just now saw your post re the bodies of water! Great minds, yada yada!

I had wondered whether weather conditions could have played any part in Trevor's disappearance. Weather for the time that Trevor went missing was around 2 degrees celsius and raining ("rain showers", per Environment Canada). It had remained above freezing all evening. Visibility was o.k.

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc....onth=12&Day=24

Hoping they find Trevor very soon. Here are some google pix of the area - unfortunately the water is extremely close:
    Attached Images Attached Images

he nephew of a man missing since Christmas Eve says a man caught on surveillance videotape outside the Charlottetown courthouse is not his uncle.

Trevor Rankin, 38, of Ottawa has been missing since Dec. 24. He was visiting family in Prince Edward Island.

Charlottetown police asked Rankin's nephew Josh to look at the courthouse videotape on Monday. Trevor Rankin's mother lives at the nearby Harbourside Apartments.
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edwa...videotape.html

Search for missing man called off
    Last Updated: December 28, 2010 2:04pm

The ground search focused on the downtown area around Dorchester and Queen streets, where Rankin was last seen getting out of a taxi at about 2:30 a.m. Friday. It’s less than a kilometre from the harbour, where fire rescue crews also searched.

But severe weather has hampered search efforts. After having been battered by a coastal storm last week, the province was walloped Monday and forecasts predict up to 15 cm of snow again Tuesday, accompanied by rain and strong winds.

Det. Michelle O’Donnell confirmed the search had been called off Tuesday, but wouldn’t comment further.

“We’ve certainly gotten frustrated with (police) sometimes, but also I’m trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. I don’t like to tell people how to do their jobs,” said Daniel Rankin, who was discouraged with the lack of developments.

Contrary to previous reports, the Coast Guard is not assisting in the search, according to a spokesman. Instead, ground search crews have been using the Coast Guard’s Queen St. headquarters as an operating base.

Major crimes investigators are looking into Rankin’s disappearance and are combing through surveillance footage from businesses in the area where he was last seen.

The last person to see Rankin was the cab driver who dropped him off downtown.

He didn’t really have a lot to say,” Daniel said, adding he knows the cabbie. “It was a fairly typical affair.”
    read more: http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/2010/12/28/16690166.html
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

sounds like an all too familiar script these days, particularly in the cold winter locales. intoxicated guy leaves a bar and is last seen not far from water.

I hope his outcome is different from the others we've seen but I'm not too optimistic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast