1223 users online (267 members and 956 guests)  

Websleuths News

Unhappy Five Teens Found Dead in Florida Motel Room

Five teens found dead in Hialeah motel room; carbon monoxide blamed

The day after Christmas, Juchen Martial wanted to celebrate his 19th birthday.

So he and four friends from their Little Haiti neighborhood rented a Hialeah motel room Sunday for a night of fun and fast food.

By 2 p.m., a hotel maid discovered all five teenagers dead, apparently poisoned by carbon monoxide fumes.

The car they had driven — a red Kia Optima — was left running in the bottom-floor, single-car garage. The door to the interior stairway leading to the room on the second floor was opened slightly, allowing the odorless, deadly fumes to seep upstairs.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...0,306926.story

Does that even make sense? Were the kids drunk? Who leaves their car running all night?

Salem

ETA: They were afraid if they turned the car off, it wouldn't start again. How tragic!
    Last edited by Salem; 12-28-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Okay, they jump started the car and were afraid that if they turned it off it wouldn't start again.

I have never seen a hotel with a garage before.

And I can't believe that none of the five (17-19?) realized that this was a bad idea. Seriously...I knew about the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning way before I was old enough to drive!

RIP...I cannot imagine how horrific this is for their families and friends. What a tragic waste of these five young lives!

Very tragic. It's a good thing though that other guests weren't killed.

This is a terrible tragedy,..... and accident. I just wanted to post the below quote from the original news article. These were just kids, young adults, who made a fatal error. They must not have been aware of 'monoxide poisoning.' There were NO drugs, NO alcohol involved.

Just kids wanting to celebrate a mile-stone of one of their friends, without any ADULT supervision. Years ago, you and I could have been ONE of these poor unfortunate victims. Eating McDonald's and enjoying each other's company.

Terrible accident. A loss of young lives and forever sorrow for their famlies.

JMHO
    fran

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...6.story?page=2

Police are still investigating the deaths, but authorities think carbon monoxide was the cause. There were no signs of illegal drugs or alcohol in the room.

What a horrible tragedy! I am sure alcohol was involved.

I really don't understand from the article the woman who was crying out "They killed my son, they killed my son!" Who is they??
    The above post is as always MY OPINION ONLY!

This is so incredibly tragic. 5 teenagers out to celebrate a special day, try to do everything right, no drinking, no drugs, and they die. The sad fact of the matter is that probably nobody told these kids the danger of carbon monoxide. The Haitian community in Florida tends to exist on meager incomes and many of them don't own cars. I've read other articles and it said they borrowed the car.

Also the "they killed him". I have two thoughts. The first is that she may have said something that didn't translate well to English. The second was pointed out in a comments section when I was reading another article about this unfortunate incident. The mom who was saying "they killed him", was the mom of the youngest kid. She could have simply meant the people she trusted as good older role models for her son accidently killed him.

So, so sad. I drove through Hialeah Sunday and it's just a very poor, sad place. My prayers are with the families of these boys/ men.

Very tragic.... prayers for these families
    Just my, no one elses

How very sad, may they rest in peace. Just about broke me up to read such a tragic story.

Goz

Quote Originally Posted by georgiagirl View Post
    What a horrible tragedy! I am sure alcohol was involved.

I really don't understand from the article the woman who was crying out "They killed my son, they killed my son!" Who is they??
    I had heard there was no evidence that drugs or alcohol were involved. They thought that one of them left the car running, went upstairs and fell asleep.
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    This is a terrible tragedy,..... and accident. I just wanted to post the below quote from the original news article. These were just kids, young adults, who made a fatal error. They must not have been aware of 'monoxide poisoning.' There were NO drugs, NO alcohol involved.

Just kids wanting to celebrate a mile-stone of one of their friends, without any ADULT supervision. Years ago, you and I could have been ONE of these poor unfortunate victims. Eating McDonald's and enjoying each other's company.

Terrible accident. A loss of young lives and forever sorrow for their famlies.

JMHO
    fran

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...6.story?page=2

Police are still investigating the deaths, but authorities think carbon monoxide was the cause. There were no signs of illegal drugs or alcohol in the room.
    I wish I hadn't read this story because it makes me so sad. So many people are probably hurting so badly because of this.

There was a similar incident about 5-6 years ago in St. Louis. A group of Vietnamese kids were listening to music in a car parked in a garage. They all died.

Like this case, it was a very close-knit immigrant community, and so, so very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    Okay, they jump started the car and were afraid that if they turned it off it wouldn't start again.

I have never seen a hotel with a garage before.

And I can't believe that none of the five (17-19?) realized that this was a bad idea. Seriously...I knew about the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning way before I was old enough to drive!

RIP...I cannot imagine how horrific this is for their families and friends. What a tragic waste of these five young lives!
    Most hotels up north have garages, and I have seen them down here quite a bit too.