706 users online (99 members and 607 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

MO - Megan Reppond, 14, shot to death at Neosho slumber party, 27 Dec 2010

Loaded gun kills girl at slumber party

NEOSHO, Mo. A loaded handgun left out in a home where some teenage girls were having a slumber party Monday night resulted in the fatal shooting of one of the girls.
    ---
    Sheriff Ken Copeland said that Megan G. Reppond, 14, of Joplin, was discovered at the address with a gunshot wound to her head and was taken to a Joplin hospital. She subsequently was flown by medical helicopter to a Springfield hospital, where she died about 10 a.m. today after being taken off life support, the sheriff said.

Copeland said the girl was shot with a .38-caliber handgun that had been left on a piano in the home. Another 14-year-old girl from Joplin who was at the party picked up the gun when the girls entered the room and pulled its trigger, assuming it was not loaded, the sheriff said. The gun discharged, with the bullet striking Reppond in the head, he said.
    ---

more at
    http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/x19...-slumber-party

I hope they charge the gun owner. WTH is really wrong with people - can anyone tell me?

Quote Originally Posted by A_News_Junkie View Post
    I hope they charge the gun owner. WTH is really wrong with people - can anyone tell me?
    Also people really should teach their children not to pick up guns and pull triggers.

The image of the loaded gun atop the piano somehow makes this all the more grotesque.

that poor girl, cannot imagine what she will go through the rest of her life knowing she killed her friend...I hope she gets the needed councelling
    Just my, no one elses

14-year olds should be old enough to know not to pick up guns and pull triggers...obviously the gun should not have been left there, unbelievable to me how this still happens.
    But I agree that the girl who did pull that trigger will need some serious help, as well as the other girls, and the parents should have to answer to some degree for their carelessness.
    Just my opinion, of course.

I agree with your statement....as a parent of a teen and one on her way they are notorious for doing stupid things without thinking....thats a heck of a lesson to learn
    Just my, no one elses

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Also people really should teach their children not to pick up guns and pull triggers.
    Probably. But it's a rather abstract lesson for 14-year-olds who live in houses where guns aren't left out on pianos in the first place, don't you think?

Girl dies of injuries from shooting

One girl opened the holster and took out the weapon, which discharged, striking the other girl in the head.
    ---
    [Sheriff] Copeland said the homeowner had received a new holster for Christmas and had gotten the revolver out of the safe to try out the gift.

Later, the homeowner placed the weapon atop the piano in a room he didn’t think the girls would enter.
    http://www.neoshodailynews.com/news/...-from-shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Probably. But it's a rather abstract lesson for 14-year-olds who live in houses where guns aren't left out on pianos in the first place, don't you think?
    Abstract or not, 14 year old is not 4 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Girl dies of injuries from shooting

http://www.neoshodailynews.com/news/...-from-shooting
    I love how the Neosho Daily News says twice in a short article that the girls were "not expected" to be in the room. Propaganda much?

Unless it was a super-secret lair hidden beneath the pantry and known only to Alfred the butler, I'm not excusing the home/gunowner.

Guns and Joplin MO go hand in hand. .

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Abstract or not, 14 year old is not 4 year old.
    I grew up in the tropics. At 14, I'd heard of frost-bite, but I certainly was in no position to fend for myself in the snow.

The point is there's no excuse for leaving a gun laying around, IMHO.

OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    Amen Nova, Amen!

OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    I love how the Neosho Daily News says twice in a short article that the girls were "not expected" to be in the room. Propaganda much?

Unless it was a super-secret lair hidden beneath the pantry and known only to Alfred the butler, I'm not excusing the home/gunowner.
    Things like this is why I hate that ol' saying "Guns don't kill people, people kill people". Well, if the gun wasn't there and loaded the person would not have been killed!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast