1069 users online (222 members and 847 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane

Man Faces Charges For Reading Wife's E-Mail

http://www.wesh.com/r/26290200/detail.html

"A Rochester Hills man who says he learned of his wife's affair by reading her e-mail on their computer faces trial Feb. 7 on felony computer misuse charges." more @ link

I would be more sympathetic if the husband was just some control freak stalker type hubby but apparently the wife was indeed having an affair (evidenced by the emails).

I think the charge is a bit extreme considering the computer was a shared one. If I suspected my spouse of infidelity then I would be that girl gathering evidence for my lawyer by accessing his phone records, texts, etc. you betcha. Nice to know I might face jail time for such an offense, won't stop me tho. Not that I need to worry, DH is too old and tired to expend the effort necessary for affairs, lol
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcox View Post
    I would be more sympathetic if the husband was just some control freak stalker type hubby but apparently the wife was indeed having an affair (evidenced by the emails).

I think the charge is a bit extreme considering the computer was a shared one. If I suspected my spouse of infidelity then I would be that girl gathering evidence for my lawyer by accessing his phone records, texts, etc. you betcha. Nice to know I might face jail time for such an offense, won't stop me tho. Not that I need to worry, DH is too old and tired to expend the effort necessary for affairs, lol
    I think the Prosecutor should be ashamed for wasting tax payers money like this! What a waste of funds!

Boy oh boy. That is exactly how I caught my ex having an affair. I kind of knew but I wanted proof.

Quote Originally Posted by angela View Post
    Boy oh boy. That is exactly how I caught my ex having an affair. I kind of knew but I wanted proof.
    I'm sorry you had to go through that

MOO, ex wife has friends in high places. Wonder what she does for a living and who the friends are? This would have been laughed out of the DA's office otherwise.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Oakland County, Michigan prosecutor Jessica Cooper told the Free Press that she was justified in charging Walker. “The guy is a hacker,” she said. The email account “was password protected.”

In a voice message left with the Law Blog, Cooper added that two judges have denied Walker’s motion to dismiss the charges. Walker and his wife “were in divorce proceedings and had separate email accounts, separate computers, separate everything,” Cooper said.
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/man-...vacy-invasion/

I too would like to know Ms. Cooper's reason for pressing forward with the prosecution of Mr. Walker. Does she want to start pursuing these types of cases? or just this one?

If all cases of invasion of privacy involving families living under the same roof need to be prosecuted, they might find the courts flooded with them.

My daughter logged into my Facebook account the other day. I want to press charges!
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

A felony? Really? Aren't there any more serious crimes to prosecute than a husband reading his wife's e-mail?
    Last edited by jjenny; 12-28-2010 at 09:19 PM.

God this makes me furious!!! It must be nice to live in a place where you are so bored because there aren't real crimes to prosecute...geez lady.

I predict that this will eventually go bye bye - even though they may have been in divorce proceedings if they were living in the same household there is a lower expectation of privacy because he has access to the computer and she wrote the stupid passwords down. He didn't "hack" anything, he figured out the password. Oh brother.

I can't even believe good old fashioned snooping on the soon to be ex is a crime!!! I could do time people

I'd say if snooping on husband/wife suspected of cheating was rigorously prosecuted, a lot of people could do time.

I would be very sympathic if they didn't live under the same roof.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Isn't "gmail" like "hotmail" and other such services? I'm wondering why the "shared computer" even matters. Couldn't the husband access his wife's account from any computer?

That being said, I'm not crazy about the DA getting involved in a dissolving marriage this way.

ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Isn't "gmail" like "hotmail" and other such services? I'm wondering why the "shared computer" even matters. Couldn't the husband access his wife's account from any computer?

That being said, I'm not crazy about the DA getting involved in a dissolving marriage this way.
    You're right, it shouldn't matter about the "shared" computer aspect at all with "gmail." It's web-based, you log in anywhere. He said he was able to log in because she had written her password down.
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post
    You're right, it shouldn't matter about the "shared" computer aspect at all with "gmail." It's web-based, you log in anywhere. He said he was able to log in because she had written her password down.
    As others have said, I'll be surprised if this gets to trial, but if it does, I expect the defendant's lawyer will have a field day with the "expectation of privacy" issue.

My husband and I don't go into each other's email or wallets as a rule, because we were raised to be well-mannered; but I don't for a moment think I have a legal "right of privacy" in the space (house) we co-own and share. (I'm assuming the wife's passwords were written down somewhere in their house.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast