Your Kids Need to Know This

This is disgusting! Where the heck were the Websleuths! I know the majority of us on this board would have done the right thing, and at least inquired with the little girl. This needs to be broadcast everywhere!!! I am posting it to my facebook now. We teach our children to yell and scream and cause a scene, but are we doing any good if nobody comes to help! How horrible!

I have tweeted and liked and posted this to FB and twitter. This is shocking and scary and should make us all think and have a plan of action thought through so that if we ever should seee something that looks like an abduction, we will be more likely to ACT in some fasion

geez, all those other people had to do is call 911 ...

LOVE the guys who actually did something! Heros!

I feel that NBC's study was definitely flawed. The child in the video was not a good actress and did not act legitimately terrified. She didn't start crying, kicking, hitting, or even screaming at the top of her lungs. I really did not get a sense of fear from her which I'm sure has to be hard to create when you're not really in danger. She didn't act any different from a disobedient child throwing a tantrum. Since everyone has seen hundreds of tantrums but most people have never witnessed an actual child abduction, it's understandable that people would assume that it was a child just being a brat to her stepdad.

An abductor who decides to abduct a random child is most likely going to do it in front of as few witnesses as possible. If they do decide to abduct a child from a downtown area, they would most likely use lures to get the child to come into their car. Grabbing a screaming child and throwing them into your car with dozens of witnesses around is extremely risky. The only case I can think of where that occurred was Samantha Runnion and there was only one witness and thanks to her description, he was caught within a couple of days of Samantha's body being found. Etan Patz was kidnapped from a busy NYC street yet no one saw a thing. Why? Because the abductor most likely got Etan to go into his car willingly by using questions/lures.

The best thing for anyone in a scenario like the one shown in the video to do would be to single out one person for help. Look them straight in the eye and tell them to call 911 and get you help. That puts all the responsibility on that one person and it will make it more likely that they wouldn't depend on someone else to do something.

There are 72 million children under the age of 18 in the United States. 115 children a year are kidnapped every year by strangers. There is so much paranoia over something that has a 0.000159722222% chance of happening to the average child. I think there is a big correlation between stranger danger and child obesity.

I spoke with my kids. Told them it is not enought to say "you aren't my dad (or mom)" and "help"

I said to scream the words "help!" "kidnap!" "police!" and to bite kick scream hollar and to keep doing it til they are away.

There are plenty of children in divorced families that would say that to a stepfather or boyfriend. "your not my dad", there should be a different statement being yelled.

I agree with eileenhawkeye that the study was flawed. The scene looked too much like a child's temper tantrum. The actress sounded bored rather than terrified. However, had I been walking past that scene I believe I would have at least stopped to try to assess the situation. Since the girl was crying "You aren't my dad" I would have felt compelled to approach and clarify or, if possible, get the attention of a police or security person and have them assess the situation.

I feel that NBC's study was definitely flawed. The child in the video was not a good actress and did not act legitimately terrified. She didn't start crying, kicking, hitting, or even screaming at the top of her lungs. I really did not get a sense of fear from her which I'm sure has to be hard to create when you're not really in danger. She didn't act any different from a disobedient child throwing a tantrum. Since everyone has seen hundreds of tantrums but most people have never witnessed an actual child abduction, it's understandable that people would assume that it was a child just being a brat to her stepdad.

An abductor who decides to abduct a random child is most likely going to do it in front of as few witnesses as possible. If they do decide to abduct a child from a downtown area, they would most likely use lures to get the child to come into their car. Grabbing a screaming child and throwing them into your car with dozens of witnesses around is extremely risky. The only case I can think of where that occurred was Samantha Runnion and there was only one witness and thanks to her description, he was caught within a couple of days of Samantha's body being found. Etan Patz was kidnapped from a busy NYC street yet no one saw a thing. Why? Because the abductor most likely got Etan to go into his car willingly by using questions/lures.

The best thing for anyone in a scenario like the one shown in the video to do would be to single out one person for help. Look them straight in the eye and tell them to call 911 and get you help. That puts all the responsibility on that one person and it will make it more likely that they wouldn't depend on someone else to do something.

There are 72 million children under the age of 18 in the United States. 115 children a year are kidnapped every year by strangers. There is so much paranoia over something that has a 0.000159722222% chance of happening to the average child. I think there is a big correlation between stranger danger and child obesity.

BBM

Amen! It's exceedingly rare for a child to be kidnapped by a stranger. Children have a much greater chance of being harmed by someone they know.

I want to add my applause to the young men who did step up to help. They were terrific! It was like watching a pack of wolves on the hunt. And you could tell that the fake abductor was genuinely afraid that he would get his a$$ kicked.

One concern I have about these televised set ups. While I do think they are helpful to bring awareness to public consciousness about real issues, I wonder when the day will come that somebody will get seriously injured. I also wonder if a real abductor can now just hold up his hands and say "TV. This is for TV" to get pursuers to back off just long enough for him to then make an escape.

I agree with the poster that pointed out that it almost looked like a tantrum. It did sorta have that feel to it. Not excusing the lack of reaction from passersby! LOL

They probably should have used a professional child actor who could have said "Help, I am being kidnapped!!" or something besides "You're not my dad!" As someone else pointed out, any child could say this to an authority figure.

It was still shocking to see.

OMG I would have been on that guy in a New York minute. I'm sorry, I'm the nosey bystander who is always on alert. I can't even stand mothers yelling at their kids at the grocer. If I happened upon this guy, I would definitely be there! Yes, it did look like a tantrum, but I would have gone up to the little girl and asked if she was okay.

MOO

Mel

Agree with those that say this was flawed and not well staged.

I can see why people would think he may have been her Dad and she was being disobedient and people ARE very hesitant to become involved because they are either shot or sued, sadly.

Also, she was mic'd for the video but we don't know how loud she was to a passerby with traffic and other noises, although the men who did pay attention and intervene heard what she was saying - I don't hear that well.

I also agree teaching your kids to use the words/phrases "kidnapping" and "call police" is a great idea. I've had my nieces and nephews back talk me with "you're not my mom", so that's too easily mistaken.

I'm positive I would have stopped and watched and given him the eye until I figured out what was going on. It happened recently in SF, there was a little girl twirling about on a parking meter with no parent in sight and two women had approached her and were asking her where's you mother? I stopped and watched that exchange until the mother came bursting out of the shop a second later in a panic. Twirly girl didn't seem too worried, she was just bored in that store I guess. People in SF were paying attention and that's a good thing.

I agree with everyone that has posted about how this was staged in an unrealistic fashion.

But I LOL'ed when those three guys moved in for the kill. HAHA. TV man is lucky they stopped LOL. They were gonna bust his butt.

Just this week in Minneapolis (St. Paul) a teenage girl was waiting at a bus stop. A car of guys pull up, asked her to get inside. When she refused, they got out and pushed her into the vehicle. She yelled, "Call 911," to others waiting at the bus stop.

Well, someone did call 911. Turns out the vehicle contained her boyfriend. Guess she must have been angry at him. She was not in trouble as verified by the police.

So, what does this say for citizens who get involved?

It seems like he/they might not have had the right to push an obviously unwilling person into their car, even if they're boyfriends or acquaintances. IMO.

I love those guys!

I have seen scenes, real ones, in the mall. Always turned out the child was fighting its parent, BUT, sales clerks within site of each of could see it and would start closing in. Just something you do when somethings not right.

Just this week in Minneapolis (St. Paul) a teenage girl was waiting at a bus stop. A car of guys pull up, asked her to get inside. When she refused, they got out and pushed her into the vehicle. She yelled, "Call 911," to others waiting at the bus stop.

Well, someone did call 911. Turns out the vehicle contained her boyfriend. Guess she must have been angry at him. She was not in trouble as verified by the police.

So, what does this say for citizens who get involved?

BBM Better safe than sorry?

There are plenty of children in divorced families that would say that to a stepfather or boyfriend. "your not my dad", there should be a different statement being yelled.

Agreed. Not my dad, people would assume this is a step-dad. " I am being kidnapped" or "call 911" would be a better thing to scream.

It seems like he/they might not have had the right to push an obviously unwilling person into their car, even if they're boyfriends or acquaintances. IMO.

Citizens got the license plate. The car was stopped. No charges. The girlfriend said it was a misunderstanding.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back