Thread: KS - Sexually violent predator escapes from state hospital

KS - Sexually violent predator escapes from state hospital

Sex offender escapes from state hospital

Authorities are searching for a sex offender who escaped from the Larned State Hospital Wednesday.

Hospital spokesman Cory Turner said 41-year-old Bruce Franklin Burns escaped during an afternoon sexual predator treatment program at the hospital.

"He is a sexually violent predator who should be treated as very dangerous," Turner said.

Turner said Burns was last seen at about 4:45 p.m. fleeing the hospital on foot headed south.

Burns is described as a 5-foot-10 male of American Indian descent who weighs approximately 165 pounds. He was last seen wearing a navy blue jacket, khaki pants, black shoes and a navy blue ski cap. He has brown eyes, long brown hair and facial hair.
    ---
    Burns was convicted for 1997 crimes of aggravated criminal sodomy of a child under the age of 14 and aggravated indecent liberties with a child under the age of 14, according to the Kansas Criminal Justice online offender database. The website says he formerly served time in Topeka, Lansing, El Dorado and Wyandotte County.
    ---

a bit more, plus a picture, at
    http://hutchnews.com/Localregional/B...ex-offender--1

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Burns sounds like a very dangerous man. How exactly did he escape from a treatment program located within a secure state hospital? I hope they find this man quickly. Children are still out and about until school resumes. And nothing about his physical description will make him easy to find. Scary.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Burns is not the first to escape from Larned. I thought I remembered another man who escaped not long ago. Perry Isley escaped in 2008. He was also a violent sex offender and in the same treatment program:

http://www.ksallink.com/?cmd=display...90&format=html

"The Pawnee County Sheriff's Department says a 50-year-old convicted sex offender who escaped from Larned State Hospital has been captured. Perry Lee Isley Jr. is part of Sexual Predator Treatment Program at the central Kansas hospital. The sheriff's department on Thursday confirmed Isley had been found...."

and

"...Officials are investigating if someone assisted Isley's escape. A spokeswoman for the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services says Isley apparently hid in a laundry bin and used a tool to cut through security fences...."

more at link

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

That's how:

"Burns participated in a Native American ceremony outside shortly before his escape.

"They counted the number of patients in the program and realized that Mr. Burns was not present in the program..."

more at link

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/new...state-hospital

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Is this an acceptable number of dangerous inmates to escape in a relatively short period of time? This is the man I was thinking of:

http://www.bonnersprings.com/news/20...wyandotte-cou/

Larned State Hospital inmate escapes in Wyandotte County

Aug. 30, 2010

"....George Dudley is a 60-year-old Caucasian male. He was last seen wearing a light-colored polo-type shirt and jeans.

He was charged with and convicted as a sex offender. He is considered dangerous to children...."

Thank goodness Dudley was caught the next day:

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/new...-license-a-car

Escaped sex offender caught after attempt to license a car

"....Dudley was at the courthouse with personnel from Larned State Hospital for a hearing around 10:15 a.m. when he escaped. Dudley was not in handcuffs in the courtroom because he was no longer treated as a criminal, but treated as a patient at Larned State Hospital.

Officials say two hospital staff members left him alone briefly. When one went to the hospital’s van and the other went to the bathroom, Dudley walked out of the courthouse, past security...."

more at links

Heckola, I hope there are some changes being made!!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

I just showed his mug to my 9 yr old daughter. I know that seems harsh, but I want her to understand that somtimes this world isnt safe for little girls. We live nearby to this escape site. i want to protect my children, and I will use whatever tools I have to do this. I hate to scare my little darling, but I want her to be aware of the dangers.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mimimama5 For This Useful Post:

tlcya is offline Websleuths IS its Members, plain and simple
    Praying no child is harmed while LE search for this dangerous man. I have concerns about security at this facility. Thanks to those linking previous escape stories.
    A MOO MOO here, a MOO MOO there, here a MOO, there a MOO, everywhere a MOO MOO

Giving blogging a stab. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/blog.php?49066-tlcya-the-Good-the-Bad-the-Websleuth

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tlcya For This Useful Post:

mimimama--I don't think that's harsh at all. You show her photos of poisonous snakes and spiders, don't you? You've taught her about stepping into a swollen creek or going outside during a thunderstorm. This is no different. I think an important part of the lesson needs to be, "Look at what a nice looking man he is. He doesn't really look scary but he's done very bad things and we have to watch out for him." After all, most poisonous snakes are quite beautiful.

I love your screen name. My grandchildren call me Mimi and I'm Momma or Mommy to 14 (16-36). Even my eldest still calls me Mommy and I'm still teaching him life lessons. That's our job.

Thank you for educating your little girl. May you all stay safe.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mimimama5 View Post
    I just showed his mug to my 9 yr old daughter. I know that seems harsh, but I want her to understand that somtimes this world isnt safe for little girls. We live nearby to this escape site. i want to protect my children, and I will use whatever tools I have to do this. I hate to scare my little darling, but I want her to be aware of the dangers.
    I think it's a great thing you did, and it's exactly why I started the thread - to provide protection, in the sense of knowledge being power, for those who might encounter the story of the escape.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

So which is it? Either the officials are changing up the facts about Burns' escape or there has been poor reporting. We first heard that he was seen "fleeing the hospital on foot, heading south". Then it was reported that he somehow disappeared during a Native American ceremony which was held on the grounds and that he was simply missing when there was a head count. Now this:

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/D...112639009.html

No Sign Of Escaped 'Violent' Sexual Predator

"Authorities are on the hunt for a person they call a violent sexual predator who escaped from the Larned State Mental Facility late Wednesday. He is identified as 41-year-old Bruce Franklin Burns.

Burns was ordered to Larned after serving sentences for two convictions out of Wyandotte County for aggravated indecent liberties and aggravated criminal sodomy. Both charges involved a child under the age of 14...."

and

"....Attempts to interview the superintendent of the facility were denied. Staff at the facility were notified of a hole that had been cut in the fence at about 5:00 PM Wednesday evening, [SRS Spokesman] Mock said. Local authorities identified that Burns was missing and began an all night search that lasted into the morning hours on Thursday...."

and

"....Larned resident LH has lived in the Pawnee County town for 40 years. LH says there aren't enough measures in place to notify the public when an escape happens. "I really feel Larned needs to have an alarm system or something to let residents know when this happens so we can keep our children indoors and lock our doors," LH said. She said she didn't find out about the escape until the next morning through media reports. At the very least, residents would be notified to keep an eye out...."

more at link

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

tlcya is offline Websleuths IS its Members, plain and simple
    that is scary. nearby residents were not even notified or warned?
    A MOO MOO here, a MOO MOO there, here a MOO, there a MOO, everywhere a MOO MOO

Giving blogging a stab. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/blog.php?49066-tlcya-the-Good-the-Bad-the-Websleuth

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tlcya For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mimimama5 View Post
    Agree with Izzy and WFGODOT, mimimama. My dad used to put it in a much harsher way. "Better afraid and educated than hurt or dead". Then again he was a Detective who saw way too much.

No residents notified?

At least Ancora sounded their horn when the last person escaped from there.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:

I would NOT be happy if I lived near by. Being that there have been three high profile escapes in two years, are citizens up in arms about this? I don't know what the supervision level is for these men but Burns was able to find and use a sharp instrument to cut the fence. That worries me more than a little. Presumably, he still has it with him.

According to Wiki, the town of Larned (where the hospital is located), has approximately 4200 people of which 23.5% are under the age of 18:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larned,_Kansas

That's about 1000 children, I believe. Being that this man preys on those under 14, I think the community has every reason to be afraid. Often, kids are left alone to watch movies while parents attend a party on New Years. This is not the year to do that, IMO. I wouldn't want any child taking out the trash or letting the dog out, either. We don't need a tragedy. This man must be found. I wonder if there are signs about not picking up hitchhikers in the area? He could be long gone or he could still be lurking close by. His proclivities are still with him too.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Now, it's "slipped under the fence" and the revelation that he had a plan for quite some time. Doesn't sound very secure to me:

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/story/...syPv7ek0A.cspx

Officials: Sex offender slips under fence and walks away

"New details show a man convicted of sex crimes against children is on the run after taking part in an outdoor native American ritual, slipping under a fence and simply walking away. 41-year-old Bruce Franklin Burns escaped custody Wednesday[/B]...."

and

"....other inmates there claim he had been planning his escape for some time.

"We're not shocked at all," says fellow inmate MB. "Generally these people that escape make it clear they are going to escape and are waiting for the opportunity. I am not shocked at all."

more at link

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Thank goodness he's back in custody!

Wonder if this facility's security issues are going to be fixed?

<snip>

Authorities said he was arrested Saturday night at a home in LaCrosse, which is about 35 miles north of Larned.

http://www.kansas.com/2011/01/01/165...n-custody.html
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

You know, I just opened my computer for the day and typed in "Larned escapee". That escape has really been bothering me. Thank goodness is right!! He's a scary guy. I wonder how they tracked him.

I certainly hope the community stands up and calls loudly for some change.

http://www.kmbc.com/r/26343702/detail.html

"Investigators said Burns stole a car shortly after his escape and hid inside an abandoned house in La Crosse, Kan., about 35 miles away.

He surrendered to police after an 8-hour standoff, investigators said."

more at link

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

So relieved to hear that he has been recaptured. Im still very concerned about the escape rate in this place though. Something needs to be done! And I want to thank you all for your support for my lessons for darling daughter. I'm always struggle over giving them too much information and trying to prepare them for the evil that is out there. I want them to be aware of what could hurt them, and its not just scary escapee sex offenders. I try really hard to be very open and frank about discussing things with them, even about family members or close friends. I have warned that it isnt usually the scary stranger, but someone they could know and trust who may try to hurt them. I want to know that they have the tools to protect themselves from being victimized as much as any child can. I dont want to make them scared of family and friends though. Its a fine line I think. I thank you all for helping me walk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    You know, I just opened my computer for the day and typed in "Larned escapee". That escape has really been bothering me. Thank goodness is right!! He's a scary guy. I wonder how they tracked him.

I certainly hope the community stands up and calls loudly for some change.

http://www.kmbc.com/r/26343702/detail.html

"Investigators said Burns stole a car shortly after his escape and hid inside an abandoned house in La Crosse, Kan., about 35 miles away.

He surrendered to police after an 8-hour standoff, investigators said."

more at link
    Stand off? Are you kidding me? The directive should have been SHOOT ON SIGHT! EIGHT HOURS farting around with this waste of a human being? EIGHT HOURS???? Waste, HUGE waste of time. Apparently, the "treatment" isn't working.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice