Some Hospitals Banning Photography During Births

Tuffy

Not really that tough...
Reaction score
http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-hospitals-banning-baby-birth-pictures-123010,0,7716231.story

Some Hospitals Banning Photography During Births

MARYLAND HEIGHTS, MO (KTVI - FOX2now.com) — Should you have the right to photograph or videotape the birth of your own child? More and more hospitals are telling nervous dads to leave their cameras at the door.

This controversy is getting attention thanks to an incident in Haggerstown, Maryland where a couple having their eighth child was told no photography would be allowed. They're furious, but it's a practice that is becoming more and more common.

The hospitals that ban photography say it's so medical teams can pay more attention to the task at hand. Critics argue that it's more about hospitals fearing iron clad evidence in malpractice suits if something goes wrong.

I'm not certain how I feel about this, but I'm kind of leaning toward thinking this is a good idea.

Unless you're asking your medical team to hold the camera for you, they shouldn't have any problem paying attention to what they're doing -- unless, of course, you've got dad, or some other family member elbowing their way in, in front of the medical team. In that instance, it's not a pictures vs. no pictures thing, it's a safety issue.

Personally, I didn't want any videotape evidence of me, screaming like a banshee, writhing in pain...but that's just me. I'm a lightweight, what can I say?

Unless you're asking your medical team to hold the camera for you, they shouldn't have any problem paying attention to what they're doing -- unless, of course, you've got dad, or some other family member elbowing their way in, in front of the medical team. In that instance, it's not a pictures vs. no pictures thing, it's a safety issue.

Personally, I didn't want any videotape evidence of me, screaming like a banshee, writhing in pain...but that's just me. I'm a lightweight, what can I say?

I wouldn't have wanted a video of me in the delivery room either, oh_gal. Not flattering at all. LOL

Right after the baby is born, take all the pictures you like, but during, no thanks. I also think that the medical team has a right to ban it, for being distracting too.

We have photos of the births of my children. My husband sat on a stool next to my shoulders, and most of the pictures were from that angle.We could have had him sit on a stool behind and to the right of the OB, but (ahem) that isn't my most flattering angle! Plus I wanted the pictures to be more about the baby and less about me. He was instructed beforehand where he could "wander" and what areas of the birthing room were off limits.

Truly, those pictures of my little guys being held up by the OB with the umbilical cords still attached are among my most treasured possessions----along with the ones of them laying on my belly, the cords being cut and baby's first meal.

I would have been very upset if the camera had not been allowed into the birthing room.

When I had my son, we knew no flashes were allowed, and no video cameras, and that was fine - the room was pretty bright, so the flashes weren't all the necessary, and we could live without video. But no cameras period is kind of ridiculous. I didn't see the camera bothering the staff at all - we weren't taking pictures of them. I would have been unhappy if we weren't allowed a camera.

IMO, this is the hospitals trying to cover their butts and try to reduce the amount of evidence should something go wrong. JMOO.

I work in labor and delivery at a local hospital and they do allow pictures here BUT they will not allow any shots of the vaginal area at any time. During the c sections they allow pictures of whatever. They dont allow video taping.

When I had my son, we knew no flashes were allowed, and no video cameras, and that was fine - the room was pretty bright, so the flashes weren't all the necessary, and we could live without video. But no cameras period is kind of ridiculous. I didn't see the camera bothering the staff at all - we weren't taking pictures of them. I would have been unhappy if we weren't allowed a camera.

IMO, this is the hospitals trying to cover their butts and try to reduce the amount of evidence should something go wrong.

BBM

That is likely exactly what they are doing. But several other reasons may be...

Photo equipment is not sterile and may introduce additional germs into the room. Especially important in a c-section scenario.

Dads sometimes pass out and a dropped camera may create a hazard for staff moving about the room.

Some nurses and doctors may not consent to their images and likeness being recorded and posted on websites like Youtube, etc....

I think it`s ridiculous. Restrictions as to when & how etc. is reasonable but outright banning is IMO unnecessary expect to cover their butts.

I think the all out banning is wrong, there is something special about those first moments after birth that deserve a memory... I attended a birth, we had about 10 people, lol crowded room! And multiple cameras... Well things started to go wrong, and all of us were kicked out, (except Daddy) and they said no more pics, as they had to bring out vacuum and forceps, and NO ONE wants to remember that! lol, but as soon as baby was out and deemed healthy, pictures were back on. I think it can be a case by case, and people need to respect the medical team.

I think this is just for the hospitals protection. If they mess up, there it is on camera. I think they should have a private surveillance to watch what goes on. Sometimes records are destroyed and there is no proof as to what was said and what medications were admitted and who was there. Just as we get watched at our jobs, doctors and nurses should be watched at theirs.

I work in labor and delivery at a local hospital and they do allow pictures here BUT they will not allow any shots of the vaginal area at any time. During the c sections they allow pictures of whatever. They dont allow video taping.

In my little photo album of my granddaughter's birth my youngest daughter pointed out that I got a picture of my daughter's hoo haw. Kind of hard not to when you are trying to get a picture of the baby being born.

In my little photo album of my granddaughter's birth my youngest daughter pointed out that I got a picture of my daughter's hoo haw. Kind of hard not to when you are trying to get a picture of the baby being born.

LOL, my Mom got a picture of mine too, we didnt notice til after they where developed at the 1 hour photo place that I worked at!!!! We bought her a digital camera that year for Christmas ;) lol

What are the hospitals afraid of? Vagina shots? Naked babies? Or the new dad getting a video of a doctor making a mistake?

It's pretty silly, but we have become such a litigious society. Bans and restrictions are just the norm now, aren't they?

Wow, as a nurse, if I worked in labor and delivery I would SO appreciate a ban! It's a tense and crowded enough atmosphere in a labor suite as it is. Members of the medical team have enough to worry about without family members getting in the way and creating needless distractions for mom and the team. If the delivering mom wants to have absolute control of the environment she is in during the birthing process, then she needs to explore midwifery and home births. Hospitals are not spas and real work gets done there. If the staff feels the presence of cameras/video is intrusive, then their preferences need to take the priority. I doubt they are talking about a camera shot of the newborn once he/she hits the mom's chest after the deed is done anyway. The vag shots.....well, ick. Uneccesary IMO, I don't get it. The last thing I wanted was a camera in my face during delivery, let alone a shot of the chute!

My nephew's wife recently had a c section, and we were looking at the baby thru the glass at the nursery. I wasn't allowed to take pics thru the glass, but my nephew was allowed to take my camera inside there and take pics. So I'm not sure what the difference is, really. Also, after the birth, the dad went to the nursery with the baby, and nobody came to the waiting room to tell us. We found out by asking at the desk, and we were allowed in to the hallway by the nursery to see him thru the glass. I motioned to the nurse in there, asking how much he weighed, and she motioned back that she can't tell us anything due to privacy laws. At the nurses station in the same hallway, just behind us, a nurse was on the phone, spelling out my nephew's last name. I said "listen, she's talking about him" That is how we found out the details, time, length, weight, apgar score, etc. When my nephew came out, he did say he had to stay with the baby, but he thought a staff member would come to the waiting room to tell us. We found out about a half hour after the baby came.

have your baby at home and invite all the relatives...no one is saying you have to have your baby in a hospital...but if you do....follow the rules and what has traditionally been sound rules....you don't pipe rock music thru the hospital nor have clowns parading up and down the halls...you try to maintain some decorum so the important work can be accomplished....and if they say no cameras....then NO CAMERAS....

Wow, as a nurse, if I worked in labor and delivery I would SO appreciate a ban! It's a tense and crowded enough atmosphere in a labor suite as it is. Members of the medical team have enough to worry about without family members getting in the way and creating needless distractions for mom and the team. If the delivering mom wants to have absolute control of the environment she is in during the birthing process, then she needs to explore midwifery and home births. Hospitals are not spas and real work gets done there. If the staff feels the presence of cameras/video is intrusive, then their preferences need to take the priority. I doubt they are talking about a camera shot of the newborn once he/she hits the mom's chest after the deed is done anyway. The vag shots.....well, ick. Uneccesary IMO, I don't get it. The last thing I wanted was a camera in my face during delivery, let alone a shot of the chute!

Cameras really don't take up much room, and in my experience no flashes were needed, so it's not like the flash could disrupt someone's concentration. Even if that "up close and personal shot of the 'chute' (LOL!) is what is wanted, most hospitals have a mirror positioned so that the mom can witness the birth of her baby, and the camera can be pointed at the mirror without the picture taker having to invade the doctor's territory.

I agree with you, however, that labor and birthing areas contain far too many family members sometimes. If the problem is crowding, then hospitals need to limit the number of family members allowed into the birthing areas. If the problem is that family members wander into "off limits" areas and cause problems to the medical team, then what my hospital does could really help: You are allowed here. You cannot walk past this point: Pretend you are a mime in a box! We were told that if my husband (the only family member I ever invited in to witness a birth) wandered where he was not allowed, he would have to leave the birthing room. Worked for us! My husband and I are in our 50's, we followed the rules. Maybe the problem is that the generation that is having babies now feels entitled to do whatever they want with disregard to the rules, I don't know...?

I also agree with you that if a woman wants total and complete control over the birthing process, then she should explore alternatives such as home birth with a midwife. In my area, midwives are very highly trained, work closely with the doctors and hospitals, and provide an alternative that is growing in popularity. I'd have used a mid-wife myself, except that after losing a baby during one of my first deliveries, I always felt like the hospital was the safest place to be for me and mine----even though I lost the little one in a hospital.

My nephew's wife recently had a c section, and we were looking at the baby thru the glass at the nursery. I wasn't allowed to take pics thru the glass, but my nephew was allowed to take my camera inside there and take pics. So I'm not sure what the difference is, really.

Now, see, that makes perfect sense to me! If you take a picture through the window, you will likely capture images of other people's babies-----and who is to say that the people standing outside the window are family members? Could be that crazy lady from down the street who has told everyone she is pregnant and now has to produce a child!

I understand all of the different viewpoints, and I am in no place to start arguing about birth practices in the US.... I'd get banned, it is something I feel very strongly about, I just think this should be a case by case rule, and people should respect the DR's decision at that time. I think it is unfair to ban it for all, but I also don't think the average childbirth is a "medical" issue, but thats a whole 'nether argument! lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back