Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Audrey Gleave, retired teacher, viciously murdered in home, Ancaster Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
    Hi Flossie. Actually, I think dotr's theory is a pretty good one. Only thing I wonder about is whether Audrey would have sat outside without the dogs (as they were apparently found in a room within the house). It was said earlier (can't recall the source right now) that Audrey had been a bit nervous of late and iirc, didn't go outside without her dogs (maybe someone else can confirm or correct that).

It was also said that the dogs were intimidating and were confined whenever visitors came by. You indicate that the dogs are lovely, so that sounds like you know AG personally. Maybe you could clarify that part for us.
    Hi there. I didn't know Audrey, and feel terrible about what happened to her, and hope they have caught the right person.

Audrey's 2 dogs now live with dear friends of mine. Both great dogs, I'm told the male was protective of Audrey. They are living with 2 other dogs as well, and getting along great. I'm told it was common practice for Audrey to step outside when guests or anyone came, rather than have them inside. I also saw an article about that, her friend visiting her and they always sat outside together.
    "I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that gentleness is to be expected only from the strong."~Leo Rosten

“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” ~Mother Teresa of Calcutta

"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." ~ Marcus Aurelius

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flossie JMO For This Useful Post:

Here is the article, and I was told she did not have folks inside her home:

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...-audrey-gleave
    "I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that gentleness is to be expected only from the strong."~Leo Rosten

“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” ~Mother Teresa of Calcutta

"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." ~ Marcus Aurelius

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Flossie JMO For This Useful Post:

Lightbulb

I have one point and one question:

Point: AG was killed in her garage (don't have the source here but it's in one of the news story links.) Perhaps the killer (DLS??) was hiding in her garage and ambushed her as she came out to her car. Or the killer was trying to get into/steal AG's hot new Camaro.

Question: Do we know that DLS was arrested because of DNA proof or did the cops need 'someone to arrest'?

So much doubt on my part!
    Seeking justice for Audrey Gleave
    -------------------------------------------
    *ALL POSTS ARE MY OWN OPINIONS UNLESS I GIVE A LINK OR REFER TO OTHERS*
    “The inspiration you seek is already inside you. Be silent and listen." ~ Rumi

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to No_Stone_Unturned For This Useful Post:

ctv news coverages with Hrab

clip below has coverage of barn and hrab interview that I'd not seen before:
    also I note that AG retired in 2006, she surely must have loved her job to continue working past 65! Most teachers I know have taken the earliest retirement date possible.

http://swo.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/C...1/?hub=SWOHome

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LilyMacBloom For This Useful Post:

does anyone else find it sort of odd that DLS has been charged and made a court appearance but there has been no photo of him, not a mug shot, court sketch etc.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LilyMacBloom For This Useful Post:

from another message board

sorry about all the posts but I've been reading at another site.

Hrab states they seized items from Scott and forensics below:

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/ar...stabbing-death

That barn was scoured by Hamilton homicide detectives two days after her body was discovered.

Scott was known to ride his bike down the road into Gleave’s neighbourhood. But police said they don’t believe he knew Gleave.

“We’ve had witnesses who (placed) him going down that road,” Hrab said. “He’s a lifelong resident of that area in Brantford.”

One thing police can’t figure out is why Gleave was targeted.

The perceived randomness of the homicide has sparked fear among the neighbours — something police recognize.

“This was a serious, random, violent act, and we were very cognizant of that fact and we were very cognizant to alert the people in the area of that crime so they would be cautious,” Hrab said.

It was information from the public that led police “down the path that led to the arrest,” he said.

Police have received some forensic test results, Hrab said. But he said he couldn’t talk about evidence, including what items were seized from Scott

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LilyMacBloom For This Useful Post:

Lightbulb

Now this has me curious:

Police say the investigation is ongoing, and won't comment on the possibility of other suspects. They are asking anyone with information on Scott's whereabouts around the time of the murder to call police at 905-546-4925.

In my humble opinion - this tells me that the cops aren't certain they have the right guy!

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to No_Stone_Unturned For This Useful Post:

re: adjacent cemetary and deaths

Missizzy was questioning the above, from the same website
    I won't post any more from the site I'll let you do your own reading

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.p...c,4489.15.html

posted by Daniel E half way down (he is a neighbour of AG):

and yes, the neighbor's are quite unsettled by this, two years before a womens body was found in the graveyard beside Audreys home during a movie shoot. for a sleepy little town of 300 people this is shocking.
    any other questions i could help with please ask, and i will try to answer. i dint know Audrey personally but i have met her a number of times and she will be a missed member of the community.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LilyMacBloom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by No_Stone_Unturned View Post
    Now this has me curious:

Police say the investigation is ongoing, and won't comment on the possibility of other suspects. They are asking anyone with information on Scott's whereabouts around the time of the murder to call police at 905-546-4925.

In my humble opinion - this tells me that the cops aren't certain they have the right guy!
    I am wondering if perhaps they think he did not act alone.At this point , it seems like there is a lot of" smoke "(mentally ill, homeless man with knife, living near victim ,) but still looking for the "fire".

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

In the meantime, this woman has been missing from Hamilton..
    http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...-in-six-months
    Fri Feb 11 2011
    Missing woman Terri Dawn Condon, 33, was last seen in early August 2010.
    Hamilton police
    The public’s help is being sought by Hamilton police to find a woman who has not been seen by family and friends since last summer.

Terri Dawn Condon, 33, was last seen in early August 2010.

Family and friends came to police Friday to try to find her whereabouts.

Condon is originally from Prince Edward Island and has lived in the Hamilton area for several years. She is also known to frequent Toronto.

Police say they are very concerned about Condon’s well being.

Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Scott Moreton at 905-546-3818 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-522-8477.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    In the meantime, this woman has been missing from Hamilton..
    http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...-in-six-months
    Fri Feb 11 2011
    Hamilton police
    The public’s help is being sought by Hamilton police to find a woman who has not been seen by family and friends since last summer.

Terri Dawn Condon, 33, was last seen in early August 2010.

Family and friends came to police Friday to try to find her whereabouts.

Condon is originally from Prince Edward Island and has lived in the Hamilton area for several years. She is also known to frequent Toronto.

Police say they are very concerned about Condon’s well being.

Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Scott Moreton at 905-546-3818 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-522-8477.
    OK, now I'll go back to what I've been thinking/saying all along:

- I think the Sonia V., Shelley L., and Audrey G. killings/attacks are related

- and now we (perhaps) have another victim of this same perp (praying to God that it's not so)

Regarding DLS - I do think that LE found an "easy target" to appease the public. The down & out, the mentally ill, the homeless, etc. seem to me to be easy prey for LE. Especially when LE 'needs' an answer quickly to an act of violence.

Of course, I could be totally off the track here.........

Question: Aren't LE very reluctant to use the "S-word" ("serial") for fear of scaring the public out of their wits?
    Last edited by No_Stone_Unturned; 02-13-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Added a question

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to No_Stone_Unturned For This Useful Post:

I've been waiting impatiently for a picture. Several years ago, there was this man who lived in a barn on a rural road that my brother lives on. I lived there for a couple of years too and remember being so creeped out by this person. Apparently he did random jobs in return for being allowed to stay in the barn. I doubt it's related but the similarities are spooky.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LadyL For This Useful Post:

I don't know if this is relevant to this case or not , but I thought it might be worth noting.
    http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...ch-for-husband
    Danielle Wong Sun Feb 13 2011
    Wife concerned as police continues search for husband
    The last time Lisa Hills saw her husband, he had kissed her on the forehead and told her: “I’m going to be right back.”

The 47-year-old has not seen her husband since.

Police are continuing to search for Albert, 63, who was last seen during the afternoon of Jan. 30 in a Hamilton Tim Hortons at Caroline Street South and Main Street West with two other men, Hills said.

SNIP

Hills said she heard the woman at the Tim Hortons counter on Jan. 30 recognized her husband but did not recognize the other two men he was with.

“(Police) have been all over the place. There’s no sign of him,” Hills said.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

I have not been able to find the photo that was shown in an earlier article of DLS. It seems to have disappeared. Has anyone found any news article or police report concerning a body being found in Stenabaugh Cemetery during a film shoot two years ago? Wouldn't that have been huge news in such a small community?

Sorry I haven't been posting. I'm keeping up but dealing with health issues. I, too, have some serious doubts and questions.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Concerning the man that has gone missing, there is a photo of him here:

http://berthills.blogspot.com/

I have no idea why the paper didn't run a photo.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    I have not been able to find the photo that was shown in an earlier article of DLS. It seems to have disappeared. Has anyone found any news article or police report concerning a body being found in Stenabaugh Cemetery during a film shoot two years ago? Wouldn't that have been huge news in such a small community?

Sorry I haven't been posting. I'm keeping up but dealing with health issues. I, too, have some serious doubts and questions.
    First - I hope your health issues are resolved soon.

Secondly - I'd never even heard about the body found during the film shoot until I read it here, at this site. I find that a little upsetting/confusing. One would think it would be 'big news' in this area.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to No_Stone_Unturned For This Useful Post:

I think they got the right guy. I bet there is DNA evidence on his clothes. As he was picked up in the laundry mat, I wonder if he was trying to wash bloody clothes he had hidden.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colette For This Useful Post:

Stenabaugh Cemetary

This is pretty interesting :
    http://www.roadghosts.com/Cases-World.htm

Date/Time: c. 1987 (August) & 1996 (c.1.30 a.m.). MAP

In the early hours of one morning, at around 2.30 a.m., Amy Cripps received a phone call from her brother. No-one calls at that time for an idle chat. It was soon obvious to her that he was very upset over something. Amy tried to calm him down and get him say what was bothering him, but, as a sceptical person, the nature of what had just happened to him made it difficult for him to tell his story. Finally, though, he began. He told his sister because she was the only one he could trust to believe him and not think him crazy.

Amy's brother worked as a manager of a movie theatre in a large city, about 40 minutes away, finishing after midnight most nights. On this particular night, he got off at around 1.30 a.m. On his way home, he decided to get off the main highway and take the less travelled country roads into his home town, enjoying the drive in his new car.

About 150 yards from his last turn towards home, there is a small cemetery called Stenabaugh Cemetery, which lies close to the road. As he approached the cemetery, Amy's brother caught something moving from the corner of his eye to his right, across the passenger seat. Turning to get a better view, expecting to find it was nothing, he was shocked to see a figure of a man jump out from the cemetery and hit the side of his car. He clearly saw an old man staring at him through the passenger side window, as if he was holding onto the door. Amy's brother swerved, almost crashing his car into the cemetery. Checking over his back seat, there was no-one there.

Amy said: "Obviously shaken, my brother tried to collect himself, and sped off towards home. As soon as he walked through his door, he phoned me. I never in my life thought I would hear my brother speak of such things, being the skeptic that he is. I'll never forget the fear in his voice as he spoke to me that night. He told the rest of my family the next day, and they all just laughed at him. He never spoke of it again, but I know that it is still in his mind, as he has never taken those back roads at night again."

Amy added that a friend of hers by the name of Paul (then around 18 years of age) used to live a short distance away from Stenabaugh Cemetery, and years before Amy's brother's own experience, had told her that people of the area were aware of a male spirit that wandered the cemetery at night, trying to cause people to crash their vehicles. Amy's friend too was sceptical until he ran into the figure one night. The man had suddenly appeared in the middle of the road, caused him to swerve and crash his car into a nearby field. "Fortunately," said Amy, "he survived with only a few bruises, and a bad case of the heebie-jeebies, but if he had swerved his car in a different direction, he could have plowed into a tree or into the marsh across the road, where he would not have been so lucky."

Source(s): 'The Ghost of Stenabaugh Cemetery'. Thanks are extended to Amy Cripps for her help and permission to use her account here. You can visit Amy's own website on ghosts and urban legends (including Stenabaugh Cemetery) at http://www.geocities.com/maulchic2/index.html

Stenabaugh Cemetery is located in Wentworth County, Ontario, Canada, between the towns of Hamilton and Brantford. A picture of the cemetery and other details can be found on the www.interment.net website (the caption reads: 'Stenabaugh Cemetery, established 1863, located on Indian Trail, Ancaster Twsp. Indication is that the first burials date back to the early 1860s'). The photograph by Murray E. Fair clearly shows the unfenced, grass-verged cemetery and the adjacent road, just as described in Amy's account.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LilyMacBloom For This Useful Post:

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by colette View Post
    I think they got the right guy. I bet there is DNA evidence on his clothes. As he was picked up in the laundry mat, I wonder if he was trying to wash bloody clothes he had hidden.
    But he had been in jail for many days. Then he was released. Why wash 'bloodied clothing' after the police had him in jail with those clothes? Oh, unless he went back to the barn to retrieve the clothes. But, wouldn't LE have already confiscated the bloodied clothing from the barn?

This is really confusing for me.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to No_Stone_Unturned For This Useful Post:

The Ghost of Stenabaugh Cemetary

Seems there's more than one person that thinks there's a ghost

http://www.supernaturalsos.com/super...-cemetery.html

40. The Following User Says Thank You to LilyMacBloom For This Useful Post:

Solving crime through botany -I found this 3 page article interesting.
    http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...0504?p=1&tc=pg
    Published: Saturday, February 12, 2011 at 1:00 a.m.
    Last Modified: Saturday, February 12, 2011 at 12:01 a.m.
    ( page 1 of 3 )

DAVIE, Fla. - They stand silent in a Davie backyard, but police believe they help tell the story of how a retiree was killed and his body parts scattered across South Florida.

The witnesses' names: Schefflera actinophylla, aka the common umbrella tree, and Ligustrum sinese, aka Chinese Privet, a large invasive shrub. A botanist has concluded the two plants outside accused killer Jamie Saffran's house match up with leaves found with severed body parts of Saffran's friend, Warren Danzig.

That evidence could play a role in sending Saffran to prison for life, or maybe to Death Row.

It's just one recent example in a relatively obscure but growing field of detective work: forensic botany, or the use of plants to help solve crimes.

Florida's diverse flora can prove to be a criminal's undoing with leaves, stalks, pollen, grains and twigs all constituting potential evidence. As awareness increases in the law enforcement community of the investigative tools offered by forensic botany, partnerships are being forged between the scientists who devote their lives to studying plants and the police and prosecutors who must delve into the worst humanity has to offer.

"Plants in general are overlooked by most people, let alone people who should be looking for the material," said Barney Lipscomb, a Dallas-area botanist whose expertise has been utilized in Texas criminal cases. "Plants are ubiquitous. It stands to reason any crime could have been committed where plant material can be connected to itnot only outdoor plants, but indoor plants."

It got me thinking about clothing and dog hairs - One might be able to wash away bloodstains, but some dog hair just clings on, no matter what you do !...

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by colette View Post
    I think the perpetrators DNA would be with AG. That's the results I think they got back when they made the arrest.

I would imagine that AG could be very "abrupt" when dealing with people intruding on her personal space. If DLS was hanging around her home and she came out, I would think that she would have made her position regarding his intrusion quite clear.

I think, considering his mental instability, any confrontation with DLS would not go well and might have cost AG her life.

MOO

44. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kamille For This Useful Post:

http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/ar...-mother-of-two
    This is a more detailed article on the woman missing from Hamilton.

John Burman Mon Feb 14 2011 Police are worried about missing mother of two

Hamilton police
    The disappearance of Terri Dawn Condon is suspicious and police are worried about her safety.

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kamille View Post
    I think the perpetrators DNA would be with AG. That's the results I think they got back when they made the arrest.
    <snip>

Understandable that the DNA would have been at the crime scene. DLS was arrested with a knife Dec 29, and Audrey's body was found the next day. What is difficult to understand is why DNA results were not available until after his release from custody 6 weeks later.

Common sense and logic should have dictated that DLS be considered a suspect in the most horrific murder Hamilton had seen in over a decade. "Rush" DNA results could have been available within 48 hours, not 6 weeks later on February 10.

I suppose there will be an explanation down the road, but right now, it doesn't seem to add up.

JMO

48. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sillybilly For This Useful Post:

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
    <snip>

Understandable that the DNA would have been at the crime scene. DLS was arrested with a knife Dec 29, and Audrey's body was found the next day. What is difficult to understand is why DNA results were not available until after his release from custody 6 weeks later.

Common sense and logic should have dictated that DLS be considered a suspect in the most horrific murder Hamilton had seen in over a decade. "Rush" DNA results could have been available within 48 hours, not 6 weeks later on February 10.

I suppose there will be an explanation down the road, but right now, it doesn't seem to add up.

JMO
    Completely agree.

50. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to No_Stone_Unturned For This Useful Post:

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast