Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Audrey Gleave, retired teacher, viciously murdered in home, Ancaster Ontario

I wonder if it was a case of "lining up" knife wounds with the actual knife, that took more time than the DNA results.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
    <snip>

Understandable that the DNA would have been at the crime scene. DLS was arrested with a knife Dec 29, and Audrey's body was found the next day. What is difficult to understand is why DNA results were not available until after his release from custody 6 weeks later.

Common sense and logic should have dictated that DLS be considered a suspect in the most horrific murder Hamilton had seen in over a decade. "Rush" DNA results could have been available within 48 hours, not 6 weeks later on February 10.

I suppose there will be an explanation down the road, but right now, it doesn't seem to add up.

JMO
    There have been problems with obtaining DNA test results in the past. I have no idea if this problem has been solved. Here is an article from 2007 that was updated in 2009...

Murders and rapists are left to walk the streets while their DNA samples gather dust on the shelves at Canada's biggest forensics lab, says the federal auditor.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...icle753078.ece

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kamille For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    I wonder if it was a case of "lining up" knife wounds with the actual knife, that took more time than the DNA results.
    I think that would have taken place rather quickly dotr ... Audrey was cremated within a few days of her death.

We don't know that a knife was the weapon involved. There was a possibility it was that saw-like item (IMO, looked like a rechargeable carving knife) that LE found in the ditch and bagged during one of the initial searches.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sillybilly For This Useful Post:

He may have left DNA at the scene but also wondering what clothes he was washing. As he was homeless he could have stashed cxlothes in many locations, not just the barn. He could have hidden the bloody clothes anywhere only to later retrieve and wash.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to colette For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by colette View Post
    He may have left DNA at the scene but also wondering what clothes he was washing. As he was homeless he could have stashed cxlothes in many locations, not just the barn. He could have hidden the bloody clothes anywhere only to later retrieve and wash.
    He was in jail for 46 days, he is released and not even 24 hrs pass and he is at the laundry mat....definately makes me think he had something hidden that he needed to wash.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flipflop For This Useful Post:

Lightbulb

When LE released him from jail, do we know if DLS went directly to the laundry place or was he allowed (meaning not followed by LE) to go elsewhere first.

And if DLS was a suspect, why wasn't LE following his every move?

(Something tells me that in the press conference, Hrab said that DLS was not followed.)
    Seeking justice for Audrey Gleave
    -------------------------------------------
    *ALL POSTS ARE MY OWN OPINIONS UNLESS I GIVE A LINK OR REFER TO OTHERS*
    “The inspiration you seek is already inside you. Be silent and listen." ~ Rumi

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to No_Stone_Unturned For This Useful Post:

addresses

I remeber it being reported DLS was arrested at Stanley & Colborne St.

Brant County Jail is at 105 Market st

Super Cycle is at 125 Stanley st (2.5 km)

Bubbles at 208 Dalhousie (3 blocks from jail) the Salvation Army is across the St. This is also the closest to Stanley & Colborne st

Wondering if he spent the night at the Salvation Army and it sure doesn't look like he went very far in 24 hours.

I'd post a map but I don't know how to

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LilyMacBloom For This Useful Post:

Lightbulb

If I recall correctly, LE said that DLS was a "fixture" in the community. Always hanging around the same places.

If that's the case, wouldn't LE and other street people know DLS fairly well and therefore his whereabouts?

I'm just trying to piece all of this together.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to No_Stone_Unturned For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
    He was in jail for 46 days, he is released and not even 24 hrs pass and he is at the laundry mat....definately makes me think he had something hidden that he needed to wash.
    Thinking about the "sexual component" to the crime, I was reminded of RW and then my mind went to lingerie collections and laundry mats......
    just a thought.

Lightbulb

Thinking about the "sexual component" to the crime, I was reminded of RW and then my mind went to lingerie collections and laundry mats......
    just a thought.
    I'm drawing a blank here - who is RW please. Is it the army guy? I can't think of his name right now.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to No_Stone_Unturned For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by No_Stone_Unturned View Post
    I'm drawing a blank here - who is RW please. Is it the army guy? I can't think of his name right now.

Russell Williams and it was Air Force not Army.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valleyboy For This Useful Post:

‘We still have work to do'

Haven't seen this link posted (if it has already been posted, my apologies, and please disregard post)

VIDEO: Hamilton Police (Staff Sgt. Steve Hrab) News Conference on the Arrest

At a news conference regarding the arrest Friday morning, Staff Sergeant Steve Hrab said that just because an arrest has been made doesn't mean his and his detectives' work is over.

"It just turns into a new phase, " he said.

"I certainly hope that if anyone has any relevant information in regards to Mr. Scott that they would like to share with us, please call us, we still have a lot of work to do."

Gleave's friend Phil Kinsman said he hopes that whatever the truth is, justice is served.

Scott made a brief first court appearance Friday afternoon wearing white pants and a white T-shirt.

The 50-year-old appeared stunned and looked around the room as he got into the stand.

The court heard he had legal representation, who had contacted the Crown.

The only words Scott said before stepping down was: "Thank you, your Worship."

Scott's next court appearance was scheduled for Feb. 16, by video.

http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/ar...ave-work-to-do
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

Toronto Sun Video - Man charged in sex slaying

http://www.torontosun.com/video/man-...g/786867190001

As I already said, I thought DLS was not responsible for A's murder ... at the time I thought he was pointed at too quickly, kinda too convenient. On one of
    my early posts I even added that it might have been a blessing for him to be picked up by LE on Dec. 29th, thinking that if he had been set up, he could himself be
    in danger.
    Hopefully LE has the right guy. I also hope LE are considering the possibility of him being 'framed'. I guess forensics would know the difference if 'evidence' has been planted or not.
    Same as you, LilyMcB, I have a vivid imagination, and had already made 2 different story plots in my mind, where sexual motive was not the real motive; had also discarded the science connection. Then again, I might change my mind once his picture is posted. (as always, all JMHO)
    Last edited by Hazel; 02-15-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    I have not been able to find the photo that was shown in an earlier article of DLS. It seems to have disappeared. Has anyone found any news article or police report concerning a body being found in Stenabaugh Cemetery during a film shoot two years ago? Wouldn't that have been huge news in such a small community?

Sorry I haven't been posting. I'm keeping up but dealing with health issues. I, too, have some serious doubts and questions.
    I remember that news article, but having some trouble finding it again ...probably because I keep getting sidetracked by that line of googling..
    In the meantime,I hope your health improves Missizzy!!!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Can't believe I got on a tangent about rush DNA, blah blah ... without justification

In reviewing posts, I've only been able to find that Sgt Hrab made reference to forensic evidence, not DNA. So, could be anything from dog hairs (as another poster mentioned), carpet fibres, soil samples, etc etc

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sillybilly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Hopefully LE has the right guy. I also hope LE are considering the possibility of him being 'framed'. I guess forensics would know the difference if 'evidence' has been planted or not.
    I can't shake that feeling either Hazel. DLS just doesn't seem like an "organized" killer that could cover his tracks to the extent that it took LE this long to reach their conclusion. With his mental state, one would think evidence would have been readily available.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sillybilly For This Useful Post:

bit of gossip from town & Stenabaugh Cemetary

Quote Originally Posted by No_Stone_Unturned View Post
    If I recall correctly, LE said that DLS was a "fixture" in the community. Always hanging around the same places.

If that's the case, wouldn't LE and other street people know DLS fairly well and therefore his whereabouts?

I'm just trying to piece all of this together.
    oddly enough, I'd not read your post until I got home. At the Club today the talk was about DLS showing up at the local food banks shouting and being very aggressive and actually stealing from a church food bank (not sure how you can steal from a free thing) but it appears he is well known at food banks and church food banks .

Also, I did get a chance to ask the girls about the movie setting and the Stenabaugh Cemetary. As they both recall. About 3 years ago there was a TV series using the area for local "shoots" neither of them recall anything about a murder or a body found or anything like that. They didn't recall what the TV series was but they were very sure it wasn't a movie. It was just a TV shoot.

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LilyMacBloom For This Useful Post:

Hasn't it been announced that DLS is local to the area? He's described as being mentally ill. I'm assuming schizophrenia and probably not on medication. Surely, he's had some run-ins with the law before. Surely. Even if they have been relatively minor, aren't mug shots taken? Aren't they often included in news articles? Why would not a single paper not have a photo of this man? I would think that a photo would bring in tips from neighbors and community members who could help track DLS's activities during the last part of December.

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    Hasn't it been announced that DLS is local to the area? He's described as being mentally ill. I'm assuming schizophrenia and probably not on medication. Surely, he's had some run-ins with the law before. Surely. Even if they have been relatively minor, aren't mug shots taken? Aren't they often included in news articles? Why would not a single paper not have a photo of this man? I would think that a photo would bring in tips from neighbors and community members who could help track DLS's activities during the last part of December.
    Good point re the mug shot and a photo helping to bring in tips Missizzy. He may have even been in other communities where people didn't know his name but would recognize his picture. It is such a common name ... even I know someone named David Scott from years ago in Ontario.

C'mon LE ... loosen up a bit if you want help from the public.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sillybilly For This Useful Post:

Lightbulb

I can't shake that feeling either Hazel. DLS just doesn't seem like an "organized" killer that could cover his tracks to the extent that it took LE this long to reach their conclusion. With his mental state, one would think evidence would have been readily available.
    Yep, right on. I'm thinking DLS is a fall-guy for LE. This is upsetting. We need LE to be more forthcoming, to tell us if these Southern Ontario attacks/murders are linked and to give us more info.

The public will be glad to help LE, but right now I'm not even certain the public knows what we're supposed to be looking for.

IF DLS somehow made it up to the Orangeville area - we need to know that.

We also should be told IF LE has DNA evidence on DLS.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to No_Stone_Unturned For This Useful Post:

Good point re the mug shot and a photo helping to bring in tips Missizzy. He may have even been in other communities where people didn't know his name but would recognize his picture. It is such a common name ... even I know someone named David Scott from years ago in Ontario.

I've sent an email to sgamble at the expositor with the above sentiment, hopefully I'll get a response. Keep you posted if/when I do.

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LilyMacBloom For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up i rec'd an email back

-sgamble responded to my email saying "good point, I'll ask them" (meaning the police)

so I guess we might find a photo in the Expositor, or, I'll bet she writes an article on why no photo.

You guys and gals are so smart!

43. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LilyMacBloom For This Useful Post:

But in the meantime, Le is busy dealing with yet another suspicious death.
    http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...side-back-door

The Hamilton Spectator 20 minutes ago Man discovers body outside back door
    Gary Yokoyama/The...POLICE INVESTIGATIONPolice are investigating the discovery of a body at the back door of a Cathcart Street home early Wednesday.
    Police are investigating the death of an adult whose body was found outside the back door of a Cathcart Street home Wednesday morning.

A resident of the house found the body – police say they don’t yet know the gender – when he stepped out the back door at about 9 a.m.

Det. Sgt Ian Matthews described the incident as a suspicious death and said it is too early to determine if it is a homicide.

The deceased is not a resident of the house, said Matthews.

Watch thespec.com for details

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

I don't recall reading this before...

http://www.brantconnection.com/Artic...aspx?e=2962112
    When invited to speak, Scott gave a meandering speech that touched on Moses, Northrop Frye and protein shakes.

I wonder if DS's photo is withheld so as not to taint potential witness recollection in a suspect identification lineup ?

47. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Lightbulb

I don't recall reading this before...

http://www.brantconnection.com/Artic...aspx?e=2962112
    When invited to speak, Scott gave a meandering speech that touched on Moses, Northrop Frye and protein shakes.

I wonder if DS's photo is withheld so as not to taint potential witness recollection in a suspect identification lineup ?
    I do recall hearing about his ramblings but I don't recall from whom. It seems as though DLS is extremely mentally ill - which leads me to think he'd be incapable of planning and carrying out such a vicious crime.

I'm more inclined to think the DLS would be only capable of loitering, having a concealed weapon (as was the case), perhaps bothering others, etc. It doesn't make sense that a person who is this unwell could pull off a crime like the crime against AG and then hide out silently until LE picked him up whilst searching the barn.

49. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to No_Stone_Unturned For This Useful Post:

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast