Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    Hate crime, in what respect, dotr? Am I missing something? I live way up on top of a mountain and can't watch video on my computer so I'm at a loss here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime
    Last edited by KateB; 06-14-2015 at 02:51 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
    I have a few questions about Audrey:

Was she always heavy-set or had she been thinner in the past and did she ever dye her hair? I ask this because there is only one AG on FB, set to private, and it has similarities to our Audrey (okay, it's a bit of a push, but that's why i'm asking the questions).

Did Audrey every attend church? I ask this because firstly, as a physics teacher, she had a scientific type of brain, and didn't strike me as a "religious" person. Secondly, references about Audrey's emails indicate that they were mostly jokes, wit, etc, as compared to personal ... but her last email apparently contained a link to "Amazing Grace" (a hymn that usually signifies deep emotion and loss). Given the time of year, i would have thought a somewhat happy rendition of "Auld Lang Syne" might have been more appropo.
    SB, there are pics of Audrey when she was a teacher somewhere in this thread, she was thinner back then, and also looked taller. Also a student described her as red hair, red lipstick, red nails, high heels (flashy). There is also a video where the reporters are interviewing her hairdresser. In all of the most current pictures of her, her hair looks "salt and pepper". I also recall reading that her ex (FF) said, you could say one of her hobbies was cooking; someone else refers to her as a "foody" person, others that she liked to talk and share recipes.

Sorry can't provide you with all the links, but everything is here in the thread.

I totally agree with your second paragraph.

Editing to add this link which contains many photographs - you can either:
    - click on first picture under "Recently Shared Photos" (right hand side of page) or
    - select "Memories" > "Photographic Memories" from the menu

BOOK OF MEMORIES = Audrey Gleave's Photos http://beckettglaves.frontrunnerpro....536&LinkId=220
    Last edited by Hazel; 01-13-2011 at 01:59 AM.
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

The builder guy has spoken. He said it looks to be under-house access. He said that he's actually surprised that there isn't a basement given the climate in the area. He also pointed out that homes built in the mid-70s were notorious for cutting corners as construction costs were so high at the time.

That's when we started building and I do remember that fact. The majority of mid-70s homes aren't aging too gracefully. They also weren't terribly energy efficient. That might be why there's plastic over some of the windows. Plastic doesn't seem like it would sufficient to help much, though, in those winters. Another reason to consider the possibility that she might have only heated a small part of the house. As I said upthread, she might have gone outside to smoke and the killer followed her back inside. The dogs must have been locked (that probably just means a door was closed) in a separate room and unable to get to her to help.

My mother lived alone in Texas for a year after my father passed and it was quite something to get to her living area. You had to go in a front door, through a freezing cold living room and dining room, through two doors, and then you came to her kitchen, which she kept heated and used as a living quarters. I think that's actually quite common for people who live alone and who want to conserve energy.

ETA: He just added that in being underhouse access, it is possible that someone could keep dogs in there. He said that in most, a man cannot stand up and it's not typically weatherized. I think he's spent a good deal of time in such spaces.
    Last edited by Missizzy; 01-13-2011 at 01:59 AM.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Hmm, I don't know Missizzy, but we are talking Canadian winter, not Texas winter

I mean, wouldn't the pipes burst if only a portion of the house is heated?
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

I guess a hate crime is certainly a possibility. We don't have any clear knowledge as to her heritage, religion, or sexual orientation. We've surmised that she's possibly of Lithuanian or Latvian heritage, given her maiden name. I brought up the possibility of her family being Jewish and thus emigrating to Canada where she was born in 1937.

She's an interesting woman as she seems to have both male and female friends and also related well to her young employee. She was married for seven years and I've read nothing that lists a bereaved partner. In Ancaster, would she suffer discrimination if she happened to be lesbian? I've gotten the impression that her friends were friends and nothing more but I sure could be wrong.

A horrid thought.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

I would think that they'd have to be heavily wrapped. To my eye, as a contractor's wife, the house looks a bit out of place for where it's built. It gets well below 0 in that area and plastic on the windows seems strange to me. That's far more like Texas or elsewhere in the south where they get occasional cold snaps. Most people back east have storm windows if the house is older, don't they?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

in the first article posted on this thread, a former student mentions audrey referring to her dogs as her "children". imo, i doubt she would keep her dogs under the house, most likely; especially being that she lived alone, her dogs would live with her in her living quarters. she likely had the dogs for companionship and also protection. they were like children to her, to qoute her, qouted by a student. the dogs were barking wildly around 2:30am:

"“I don’t remember many teachers from my high school years … but I remember her,” said one of Gleave’s former Westdale students, Sarah, who did not want to give her last name.

Sarah, 34, was in Gleave’s Grade 9 science class at Westdale about 20 years ago. She recalled her teacher had a sense of humour, would call her puppies her babies and referred to the picture of Albert Einstein in their classroom as her boyfriend."

http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/ar...d-teacher-dead

refering to her pups as her "babies" truth said in jest. i would imagine an older woman living alone would rely on her 2 sheppards.

as someone had mentioned, i think it likely she had went outside and the dogs were inside the house.
    would someone have attempted to lure her outside somehow?

le says they don't think she knew her attacker, yet it's likely her attacker knew some things about her. if he was wanting to target a woman who lived alone, he would have had to observe her somewhat to know that she'd be alone in the house.
    she didn't seen to be a social butterfly, although her students seemed to like her. would it be possible a former student did this crime?

missizzy where did you get the impression audrey was a lesbian?
    she sounds more like just a private type person. maybe she never married again after her first husband since she just didn't want to get involved again

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chemcopout For This Useful Post:

Audrey's Memorial Webcast

http://beckettglaves.frontrunnerpro....eo&EventId=527

------------

more about Audrey:

(snips from JH's condolences - dated Jan. 10th)
    - Audrey's nickname: baryon (she was surprised when she was told her nickname is a subatomic particle)
    - A. took a Web Design course at Mohawk College (2003)
    - apparently A. was very upset when her e-mail addy was not deleted when her e-mails containing jokes, etc. were forwarded to other people.
    - A. had bad legs
    - A. had a quick mind

(from CK's condolences - dated Jan. 5th)
    - A. had an infectious smile and laugh
    - A. made this friend (CK) feel welcomed in her home.

It's odd that her best friend LV was inside Audrey's home only once.

I am now wondering how it was she delivered the soup. Did she go all the way there and just handled the soup at the door? I thought it was homemade soup, but perhaps it was a bag with canned soup?

Condolences: http://beckettglaves.frontrunnerpro....536&LinkId=224
    ★ Thank you ★

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:

So, she was also a high school girls' athletic coach, it seems, as shown in her remembrance photos.

I noticed that even in recent photos, she's still wearing make-up and lipstick. And looking awfully proud next to that car.

Could this be the work of a former student who had a grudge of some sort against her?

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

I was merely responding to the comment of this possibly being a hate crime. Wiki defines a hate crime as pertaining to:

"....racial group, religion, sexual orientation, disability, class, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender, gender identity, social status or political affiliation...."

Being that her racial group, disability, class, social status, age, gender, nationality and political affiliation didn't seem to fit the crime, all that is left is her religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation and gender identity. Certainly anytime a person is sexually assaulted, as Ms. Gleave was, an argument could be made for a hate crime.

I live in Ashland, OR where it is extremely common to be openly gay. A number of our teachers and pastors are. I've gotten the sense that Ancaster is a welcoming community. Am I mistaken?

And a correction. I know there could be a reporting error, but the news reports are quite clear that it was neighbors' dogs which barked at 2:30 am on Dec. 29th.

http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/ar...-area-homicide

"But the Fs’ dogs suddenly began barking wildly around 2:30 a.m. Wednesday...."

I noted that her date of death is given as December 30, 2010--the day her employee found her body.

Also, I fully understand about her devotion to her dogs. I have eight and am committed to them. I've found it odd, however, that she didn't seem to socialize them or have total control over them. Even her dearest friend, LV, commented that she watched them carefully when she and Ms. Gleave would visit on a bench near the house. She's obviously had many dear animals as there was the comment that many were buried at the Ancaster Pet Cemetery, where she wished to be buried. FWIW, I refer to my "pack" as my puppies even though many are elders.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Concerning the soup:

http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/ar...-area-homicide

".....LV said she last saw Gleave Dec. 27.

"She was here Boxing Day but was feeling under-the-weather," she said.

"I took some soup out to her on Monday morning and that was the last time I saw her."

more at link

Being that Ms. Gleave was known as a "foodie" and liked to talk recipes, I would guess that her friend made her a small pot of homemade soup or passed along some from the Boxing Day celebration. I would think Ms. Gleave would have canned soup in her own pantry as she shopped frequently at Costco, it's been reported. Being that it was the holidays and a friend was sick, I'd bet it would be a pot of soup. It does sound odd to accept a gift like that at the door.

There have been a number of sporadic comments made about people visiting in her home. I believe her vet said that he visited there (I'll recheck). I just can't understand why she wouldn't welcome her best friend in. Possibly, LV, is a very neat person and Ms. Gleave was embarrassed of her lack of housekeeping.

I've read a number of comments about the dogs being "mean" and a bit on the rowdy side (my words). I wonder if PK, the handyman, was comfortable around them and if they accepted him. After all he worked on the property for 6 years and I'd think would encounter them frequently.

Sillybilly asked about some sort of a shed or covered area in the clump of trees at the end of the driveway. Could that be where gardening tools were stored? In the small glipse of the garage, it looks almost empty. A person could surely hang out in that shed waiting. She kept to a strict routine which was changed due to sickness that week. I keep coming back to that. But if someone merely wanted to rob the house, there would be no reason to kill her and sexually assault her AND leave her purse behind.

I'm never popular with this type of theory but I also can't forget that there's a cemetery abutting her property and this murder occurred about a week following a lunar eclipse, meteor shower and an electromagnetic field "break". I wonder, if being a science teacher, if she didn't spend a good bit of time checking out the sky that week and come across some people with ill intent leaving the cemetery who then returned a few days later.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

I would think that they'd have to be heavily wrapped. To my eye, as a contractor's wife, the house looks a bit out of place for where it's built. It gets well below 0 in that area and plastic on the windows seems strange to me. That's far more like Texas or elsewhere in the south where they get occasional cold snaps. Most people back east have storm windows if the house is older, don't they?
    I haven't been following this thread really closely, but I can answer this...plastic on the windows is super common here up north--I live in Wisconsin, and have generally winterized every house (or apartment where I paid for heat) with plastic on the windows. It actually makes a huge difference in heating bills, even with storm windows (unless you have new super-efficient windows). I use the indoor plastic kits, which are a thinner plastic that you can use a blow-drying to make very taut and see-through. From the pictures up-thread, it looks like outside plastic, which is thicker. You can see examples of products here: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...Kits/Products/ . I was lazy this fall and didn't plastic my windows, and I'm kind of regretting it--even with built-in storm windows upstairs, my heating bills are noticeably higher than last year .

I'll also throw in--my parents' house, also in Wisconsin, doesn't have a basement. The area they live in is wetlands, so it's smart--they don't have a basement that floods, unlike all the neighbors. So, depending exactly where the house is located, having a basement may or may not be unusual.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RLynne For This Useful Post:

Plastic on the windows (especially patio doors) are VERY common in homes built before the energy efficient era. Storm windows are used on century old homes.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flipflop For This Useful Post:

just an observation

Thank you for the photos Hazel, very helpful. I thought PK stated that A loved to garden and in fact planted seeds with her. As I look at the photos I don't see one garden bed around her home, not one shrub even. There must be another area on the property that she gardened in, or , as one of the commentors at the funeral site, her legs bothered her so much she had given up gardening.

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LilyMacBloom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LilyMacBloom View Post
    Thank you for the photos Hazel, very helpful. I thought PK stated that A loved to garden and in fact planted seeds with her. As I look at the photos I don't see one garden bed around her home, not one shrub even. There must be another area on the property that she gardened in, or , as one of the commentors at the funeral site, her legs bothered her so much she had given up gardening.
    Interesting observation, Lily. In looking at a Google Earth view of the property (sorry I don't know how to capture it and post it here), there is no evident, visible garden area on it either that I was able to determine. Perhaps someone with more experience with Google Earth than I could post the pic if interested.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeonyLover For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast